+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By Rianne
  • 2 Post By Fredelas
  • 1 Post By Ernbrecht

Thread: Cave counsel

Rift Chaser

Default Cave counsel

Hello, everyone! I have just bought the Shoreward Island dimension, and would like to build a large cave to block one part of the view (while I respect the lore, from an aesthetic perspective, the smoking bridge mars an otherwise-pristine scene).

I know there's a mountain object available, but I don't know if it's hollow. The reason I'm going for a cave rather than just a solid mountain is because I'd like to retain that area as usable space -- I could build a neat cave interior.

Do any of you know of a good tutorial somewhere, either on these forums or at a fan web site, that offers guidance on how to build a large cave in a dimension? I did search the forums, but if something like that exists, I missed it.

Many thanks!

I've seen people build big caves to cover parts of their dimension but, I have not seen a video showing you how to build a giant cave. Videos I know of are toolbox show things. Building is respectfully the owners to build. I've heard of people hiring other players to make them things/set up their dimension though... That's all the options I can think of on this item sorry=o=}

toolbox link with site > http://riftdimensionaddicts.com/?q=tutorials

for teh three caves i've been building in vengeful sky - 3 different styles - i've been using a # of rock objects.
    Specifically, for the cave near the waterfall i'm using pale boulders and merging and rotating them till they fit my needs.
    For the quarry cave, i'm using the ember isle rock towers, and merging/rotating them again till they're filled in and have the shape i like. I tried using fire rift rocks for the fire cave (from a volcano), but had to split it up some with long charmers calderas rocks to spread the fire look out a bit. (was kind of tacky looking when i used the fire rocks for the entire thing.)
    One thing i have noticed doing this is that if you use the same model rock a # of times, try and make sure you rotate it etc so its' not obvious what you're using, otherwise it gets to be repetitive and really jarring from a visual point of view. Ie flip it upside down for one placement, then rotate it and turn it inside out. Use some ground cover and ivy drapes to mask areas that you can't get quite the way you want, and it should work out for ya.

Anyway, hope this helps a bit. I mostly screwed around with it till i found something that works.

the items i found easiest to use - pale boulders (the long white ones with two levels), quarry outcrops and clumps, ember isle rock towers, and the charmers caldera pieces. (theyr'e on the rift store, but relatively expensive.)

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
    One thing i have noticed doing this is that if you use the same model rock a # of times, try and make sure you rotate it etc so its' not obvious what you're using, otherwise it gets to be repetitive and really jarring from a visual point of view. Ie flip it upside down for one placement, then rotate it and turn it inside out. Use some ground cover and ivy drapes to mask areas that you can't get quite the way you want, and it should work out for ya.

Anyway, hope this helps a bit. I mostly screwed around with it till i found something that works.

the items i found easiest to use - pale boulders (the long white ones with two levels), quarry outcrops and clumps, ember isle rock towers, and the charmers caldera pieces. (theyr'e on the rift store, but relatively expensive.)
    Many sincere thanks to both of you for your responses! Rianne, this section I quoted was particularly helpful. I am completely new to this, and your advice on which objects you find most useful is really appreciated.

Thanks again, and happy adventuring (and building!) in Telara!

Plane Touched

I have never built a cave before, but maybe this technique will help you.

To start out, decide where the interior of your cave will be. Use a cheap building block to roughly model the inside of this space. Stone tiles are cheap and work well, but use whatever you have handy. This will be temporary.

Now experiment with various rocks to cover up the interior space you built. Remember, these are rocks, so the less perfect it is, the better! Once you've covered it up, you can remove the temporary building blocks. (In case any of them got completely hidden by rocks, you can find them in the Dimension Items list and remove them from there.)

You can now pile additional rocks onto the framework to complete your mountain. Remember, you don't have to fill in the spaces players won't be able to see.

Good luck with your cave! I hope to visit it soon.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Fredelas View Post
    To start out, decide where the interior of your cave will be. Use a cheap building block to roughly model the inside of this space. Stone tiles are cheap and work well, but use whatever you have handy. This will be temporary.

Good luck with your cave! I hope to visit it soon.
    Fredelas, thank you! Thank you so much -- this is a fantastic tip! I have almost no spatial relations skills, so this is exactly the sort of thing I needed to know.

Really, sincerely -- this is both simple and brilliant.

I've used lot's of Mossy Boulders for the walls of my mine/cave dim (The Sourceforge on Argent currently, soon Gelidra. You're welcome to have look. ;) ). They have a really nice surface texture and can be rotated and enlarged to create large sections of relatively flat natural rock walls. Most other rocks have the problem that they are too round to build somewhat straight walls. Of course that can also be a desired effect for a natural cave but I found it counter-productive for my purpose.
    A nice feature of the mossy ones is that no matter how you rotate them, the sides will always be plain rock and the top/bottom will be covered in moss. They're also cheap

Oh, if you're building a cave in an open area, be prepared to do a lot of checking and re-checking for holes. You'll be surprised how often you'll find cracks in the walls with the sky being visible even after you've corrected the positioning for the umpteenth time...
    "I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar!"
    -- Hoban Washburn

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Ernbrecht View Post
    I've used lot's of Mossy Boulders for the walls of my mine/cave dim (The Sourceforge on Argent currently, soon Gelidra. You're welcome to have look. ;) ). They have a really nice surface texture and can be rotated and enlarged to create large sections of relatively flat natural rock walls.
    This, too, is very helpful, especially the bit about the flat walls. That's definitely desirable.

I'd love to visit your dimension, but I'm over on Faeblight in the US. Is it possible for me to do that? I've never tried connecting to an EU server.

Soulwalker

I've just built a cave myself in the last few days, and while I'm still pretty new at dimension building, there might be a couple tips I could give you.

First of all, use your rocks from biggest to smallest. Begin by using the really large rocks to rough out the general shape of the cave, then use the medium sized ones to set the shapes of your rooms and corridors, finally fill in the left over gaps and what not with the smaller rocks.

Secondly, it's helpful to scale down the various rocks you're using as small as possible and then spin them around a bit to get a good look at their shapes. This can be quite helpful as you're building. When positioning a rock I would first put it in the general area that I wanted it to go, scale it down, spin it around until I had it oriented just right, then finally scale it back up to the size I needed it to be.

As for rocks, I mostly used relatively cheap grey ones. They didn't always match in color terribly well, but I think my cave still ended up alright. Most can be bought in the shop, but it never hurts to look for deals in the auction house. Here's a quick run down:

-Round Grey Boulder- Small, roundish, and cheap. They're only 2 gold in the shop. Good for detail work and plugging holes. I used a million of them.

-Ember Isle Rock Tower- These are very large with hollow centers, great for laying out most of a room all at once. Kinda pricey in the shop as I recall, but can be bought relatively cheap in the auction house, or even fished for apparently.

-Tall Boulder- Medium to largish cone shaped rocks that can be used to fill in walls and ceilings or shrunk down to use as stalactites and stalagmites. These don't seem to be sold in the store, but can be found fairly cheaply in the auction house.

-Etched Scarwood Boulder- A very large cone shaped rock. great for filling in lots of space. 9 platinum in the shop but cheaper from the auction house.

These last two require a certain level of faction with the Necropolis Caretakers to buy from the store. If you don't have it yourself you can get them from the auction house or have a friend with the required faction buy them for you.

-Dusken Ridged Rock- Smallish, roundish, and have a lot of texture. They're slightly larger than the Round Grey Boulders and they have some nice flat sides if you need some. Also good for plugging holes. Cheap too, only 60 gold in the shop.

-Short Dusken Spire- These are my favorite rocks. They're kinda long and flattish with one kinda pointy end. They are a medium sized rock, great for building walls, ceilings, and ledges. You can even shrink them down fairly small for detail work. 80 gold in the shop.

I also play on Faeblight, so if you'd like to look at the cave I made, just look up my character Wimble or "A Mysterious Cave...". It's a bit cramped and confusing, but I was trying to pack as much as I could into a rather limited amount of space. Don't miss the hot springs or the hidden treasure, there's more as well and not all of it is easy to find. Well, that's about it, good luck with building your cave Jirahar.
    Last edited by Morkinal; 10-16-2013 at 10:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
    For the quarry cave, i'm using the ember isle rock towers, and merging/rotating them again till they're filled in and have the shape i like. One thing i have noticed doing this is that if you use the same model rock a # of times, try and make sure you rotate it etc so its' not obvious what you're using, otherwise it gets to be repetitive and really jarring from a visual point of view.
    This is pretty much what I did for my cave (at Evergreen Cabin on Shatterbone if you feel like stopping by). I used all fished rocks for my cave except the two snowy towers I added post 2.3: a tourquoise rock for my base, two ember rock towers to carve the interior, and a bunch of snowy rocks flipped every which way for the outside. The effect I was going for that I'm satisfied I achieved was to have dark rocks and sides of the rocks for the interior and a nice snowy sculpted mountain for the exterior.

Quote Originally Posted by Jirahar View Post
    I'd love to visit your dimension, but I'm over on Faeblight in the US. Is it possible for me to do that? I've never tried connecting to an EU server.
    You can actually do that quite easily (I wasn't aware of that myself until recently): In the rift launcher, before you even enter your password to log in, click the "settins" button in the lower right. There you can change (among other things) your game region. Set it to Europe and you can create characters on the European shards. Just have to remember to change it back to NA afterwards.
    "I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar!"
    -- Hoban Washburn

I'll add Jet Boulder from AH. These drop in dungeons but players usually sell them on AH. Not too expensive. And very black. great for interior when you want things looking dark.

Default Cave's

hey, my partner badmann has build 2 awesome caves one for me & one for himself. You can view these on Deepwood Shard as we just moved there the dim's are Badmann's SGC (Stargate Command) and Rimisque's "The Dark Knight Rises". With the Batman one we wanted to create a cave with water and its very very successful, main rock used - Rectangular Ashora Mountainside

Dark Knight Rises is a great dim! It has some execution issues in the house but really, really delivers on the vision and the theme, and I've pointed a couple friends over there. If you can find it, the beacon alone is worth a +1!
    Last edited by Jaedor; 10-17-2013 at 03:50 PM.
    The Road Less Traveled, Hypnotique, Hero's Quest: Belly of the Beast, Avalon, Doubleohhseven's Avatar v2.0, Promenade Penthouse, Hero's Quest: Sleeping Beauty, Mabhe's Quadradream, Everwinter, Karthan Paradise, Halls of Intoxication, Court of Shadows, Dreamscapes, Lost in Wonderland, Hero’s Quest: Hidden Canyon, Bywater, Sanguine Summer
    Greybriar Dimension Geek

+ Reply to Thread