+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Suddenly: Minecraft (in Rift)

Default Suddenly: Minecraft (in Rift)

This is a very rough concept.

It goes like this:

If I have an addon that adds a tile in front of me, and I can configure the addon to place any dimension item in front of me, in an invisible grid. Tiles can ONLY be placed in the grid.

Suddenly: Minecraft (in Rift)-mc-macro-editor.jpg

Then I set up the addon to have a bunch of different bricks, on my toolbar. See I have Stone Cube, Metal Cube and Wood Cube

Suddenly: Minecraft (in Rift)-mc-bricks.jpg

Suddenly, Minecraft

Suddenly: Minecraft (in Rift)-mc-action-bar.jpg

Addon is here.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resi...AYf3h4p9ZhSJ70

There are issues. Rift's Addons doesn't accurately tell me where I'm facing. So sometimes it places the brick behind/above/under/right where you are. There's some calculations to guess based on how close you stand to an edge but it's not accurate.

I'm keen to play multiplayer RiftMinecraft. Idea is I add you to my friends list, give you place/move/pickup, and we both run the same addon and go nuts with bricks in the dimension.

Suddenly: Minecraft (in Rift)-mc-action-bar-macros.jpg

This picture shows (clearer) my macros and the 3 different "tiles".

http://www.twitch.tv/silixr/b/470188500

I recorded a 4min stream of me running around pressing buttons and dropping bricks :-)

(and got stuck when a brick appears on my face ouch)

4.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #4
    Rift Team

Oh man, this is really cool. Good job!

I love the concept! Minecraft was my primary creative build game until Rift added dimensions, but I still play sometimes. If you get enough interest I can join in, you're on faeblight right? So I'd have to use my little tourist toon since I'm on a different cluster.

PS. Hi Greg!

RIFT Fan Site Operator

I lasted for 33 minutes in minecraft 2 months ago blockiness and me don't get a long at all I'm all about the curves. Love seeing what awesome Rifters discover though I'm not surprised you love this Oaty heh

I still play Minecraft for at least a couple hours a day, several times a week, whenever I can, so the title of this thread caught my attention.

Great job! Sounds and looks like lots of fun

I have been planning all day:

* need to implement a proper grid system in the addon and track all cubes being placed.
    * cubes can't be placed over another cube and can't be placed on top of the character
    * implement destruction. So each time you "hit" the cube with a different command it will reduce the scale of the cube until after a few hits it'll just pop back into user's inventory
    * different cubes have different durability

multiplayer will happen, but the addon needs more work.

I'm on Laethys

next update will involve more cubes and whacking things!
    Last edited by Silir; 10-14-2013 at 09:36 PM.

Rift Master

Oh God why.....

Quote Originally Posted by KarthosNZ View Post
    Oh God why.....
    I'm guessing you aren't a minecraft fan. But I will try to explain why I think combining addon AND dimensions, we were essentially given tools to build our own games.

the addon gives a player predefined commands "legal moves"
    and can do animation, and update the game world.

the dimension is the canvas where the game is played, and can be seen by all.

so today I'm doing Minecraft. But you can easily build Chess as well

if you aren't blinded by possibilities, I can't help you!
    Last edited by Silir; 10-14-2013 at 10:10 PM.

RIFT Fan Site Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Silir View Post
    if you aren't blinded by possibilities, I can't help you!
    I don't think they are blinded by possibility but might be wondering like me why you would come to Rift to play mineraft when you can go to minecraft. I also saw my first chessboard made by Dragondancer in April, there have been so many awesome ones since and you can play them utilizing your friends list but if anyone loves chess like I do we know chess can be a long game so concentration spans in an mmo might also not suit however this doesn't mean I disagree just looking at the actual possibilities in the current state our Telarian playground is in.
    Last edited by Kiwi; 10-15-2013 at 01:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    I don't think they are blinded by possibility but might be wondering like me why you would come to Rift to play mineraft when you can go to minecraft.
    Perhaps because the name of the game, no matter what game it might be, is *fun*.... and perhaps because creating the addon, coding/programming it, is relaxing and fun for the OP. Some of us enjoy combining games, or techniques, or just plain delighting in seeing two things we enjoy being combined in one place.

By the way - can't wait to see what comes next! Looks to me like an awesome way to relax after rep grinding. That, in itself, makes this priceless.

My interest lies in creating, both dimensions as well as programs. I've asked in the past for scriptable NPC's. I didn't realise Add-Ons could have been a different way to achieve scripting.

If the goal was simply to create animation, one could create an add on that just keeps rotating a sphere around the person as he walks around.

Or, move a bright light object across a mural and cast shadow across the scenery.

I really think if you guys only saw a crazy person building Minecraft in Rift... you kind of missed why I'm so excited about this.

Anyway, at the very least, you can use my add on to plant grass and trees by just passing a different dimension item name in the macro.

I will soldier on. If anyone wants to come play multiplayer dimension with me grab my add on and give me a yell! :-)
    Last edited by Silir; 10-15-2013 at 07:02 AM.

Why stick to ore? Put you some trees in there to chop!

Shalistiri Mirage : The Light in the Dark : Camp Catari : Dwarven Ladies Club: RP - The Basilicini of Bahralt : Lycini Townhouse : Peter, Peter, Pumpkin Eater : The Paarrrrsing Deck : Fuji Dojo : Cherry Breeze Estate on Faeblight

Quote Originally Posted by Silir View Post
    My interest lies in creating, both dimensions as well as programs. I've asked in the past for scriptable NPC's. I didn't realise Add-Ons could have been a different way to achieve scripting.

If the goal was simply to create animation, one could create an add on that just keeps rotating a sphere around the person as he walks around.

Or, move a bright light object across a mural and cast shadow across the scenery.

I really think if you guys only saw a crazy person building Minecraft in Rift... you kind of missed why I'm so excited about this.

Anyway, at the very least, you can use my add on to plant grass and trees by just passing a different dimension item name in the macro.

I will soldier on. If anyone wants to come play multiplayer dimension with me grab my add on and give me a yell! :-)
    Well I confess to having "missed why" so I'm thrilled you posted this and I'm super jelly about the scripting skills you have because I can suddenly see why you are so excited and now I'm excited too.
    The Road Less Traveled, Hypnotique, Hero's Quest: Belly of the Beast, Avalon, Doubleohhseven's Avatar v2.0, Promenade Penthouse, Hero's Quest: Sleeping Beauty, Mabhe's Quadradream, Everwinter, Karthan Paradise, Halls of Intoxication, Court of Shadows, Dreamscapes, Lost in Wonderland, Hero’s Quest: Hidden Canyon, Bywater, Sanguine Summer
    Greybriar Dimension Geek

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast