+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Unseen University opening. (Laethys shard / Silir)

Default Unseen University opening. (Laethys shard / Silir)

Years after Maelforge's defeat, the Defiants look to the Ember Isles to build a grand center of study. High General Asha Catari, herself educated in the fine Quicksilver College, knew that the future of the Defiants rests on the children with extraordinary gifts.

Funded by the Unseen. With guest lecturers Orphiel, Sylver Valis and Dean Raj Tahleed This would be a place of learning and studies. Both theoretical and practical. Outclassing both the Quicksilver College and the College of Planar Studies.

Welcome to the Unseen University.
    Unseen University opening.  (Laethys shard / Silir)-uu-main-gates.jpg

Enrolments are open to Defiants. Guardians may be accepted under the Foreign Exchange programme.

Various classes are included in the first year Theory.

Unseen University opening.  (Laethys shard / Silir)-uu-guardians-vigil-studies.jpg
    Guardian Vigil Studies

Unseen University opening.  (Laethys shard / Silir)-uu-greater-hunt-studies.jpg
    Greater Hunt Studies

Senior years classes will involve additional practical work

Unseen University opening.  (Laethys shard / Silir)-uu-water-planar-studies.jpg
    Water Planar Studies

Unseen University opening.  (Laethys shard / Silir)-uu-death-planar-studies.jpg
    Death Planar Studies

The epic research facilities are available for the post-graduate level

Unseen University opening.  (Laethys shard / Silir)-uu-tower-art.jpg
    Tower of Art.

Unseen University opening.  (Laethys shard / Silir)-uu-high-energy-building.jpg
    High Energy Magic Building

The students have refused to take down the lanterns at the top of the High Energy Magic Building connecting to the Tower of Art, after last year's celebrations.

The university promotes a healthy student lifestyle.
    Unseen University opening.  (Laethys shard / Silir)-uu-self-defense-classes.jpg
    Self defence classes

Unseen University opening.  (Laethys shard / Silir)-uu-spa-pool.jpg
    Full length swimming pool (and spa). Do check out the tea pot in the changing rooms.

Unseen University opening.  (Laethys shard / Silir)-uu-dorms.jpg
    Dormitory for all students. Students are encouraged to stay at the dorm during the study semester.

Unseen University opening.  (Laethys shard / Silir)-uu-train-station.jpg
    Though train station is easily accessible outside the front gates.

Unseen University opening.  (Laethys shard / Silir)-uu-standing-stones.jpg
    The Ascended need not to wait for the train service. As a fully charged Standing Stones facility allows instant porticulum access.

Each day
    Unseen University opening.  (Laethys shard / Silir)-uu-great-hall.jpg
    Students will start the day with a healthy meal in the great hall.

Unseen University opening.  (Laethys shard / Silir)-uu-stained-glass.jpg
    Architect Silir seems to have been struck down with staining this glass wall since a visit to Karazhan (where in the world is that?!)

Not the least, the Unseen University has a fully stocked Great Library.
    Unseen University opening.  (Laethys shard / Silir)-uu-great-library.jpg

The Librarian is missing though, perhaps looking for a banana fruit. Students and visitors are warned that it would be easy to be lost among the bookshelves in the library and exercise caution.

Finally, should a student find him or herself locked outside the main gates afterhours, there is a rumoured Scholar's Entry. One might start their search near this bush.

Unseen University opening.  (Laethys shard / Silir)-uu-students-afterhours.jpg

The Unseen University is situated in Dormant Core in Laethys shard. Enrol today (by selecting +1).

Thank you for your visit and hope to see you in the new semester.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Unseen University opening.  (Laethys shard / Silir)-uu-life-planar-studies.jpg   Unseen University opening.  (Laethys shard / Silir)-uu-cafeteria.jpg   Unseen University opening.  (Laethys shard / Silir)-uu-classroom.jpg  

Oh wow! It's like an Eth Hogwarts Very cool idea! I'll definitely stop by Laethys to check this out!

Quote Originally Posted by Agrona77 View Post
    Oh wow! It's like an Eth Hogwarts Very cool idea! I'll definitely stop by Laethys to check this out!
    Hehe please come.

There are three inspirations:
    • Defiants, Unseen, the various in game Lore references to colleges.
    • Terry Prachett's Discworld, where the Unseen University, Great Library, High Energy Magic Building, Tower of Art, and the Scholar's Entry are all fictional places.
    • And as you noted, Harry Potter / Hogwarts has a strong influence on Dorms and the Great Hall.
    Last edited by Silir; 10-08-2013 at 07:53 AM.

seeing this... just makes me want to recreate Hogwarts..... =}

Quote Originally Posted by firebolts View Post
    seeing this... just makes me want to recreate Hogwarts..... =}
    Having a great underlying theme provides a lot of inspiration and makes building very easy

A lot of the areas are still a bit rough on the edges definitely will be smoothing them out and filling in the details in the weeks to come!

Please come visit

Shadowlander

All these people saying Hogwarts make me sad. Not that it was a bad series mind, but it can't compare with the mastery of Sir Terry Pratchett, which is where the Unseen University originated. Bravo to you. I am a huge Discworld fan and seeing your post warmed my heart.
    ~Nythaenae, Kelari Marksman of Black Snow and proud denizen of Faeblight. Avid raider and seeker of all things lore.

RIFT Fan Site Operator

Absolutely love the Lore of RIft and DImensions that weave it into them my memory does not sustain because of my hearing so having visuals helps soooo much and these creations are so WoW. Love you Laethys! Heh

Awesome SIlir!

Wow! This looks awesome Silir

I'm currently working on DC and would love to stop by and check out what you did with it. The pictures and back story certainly entice you to make the effort to pay a visit and I have a lvl 10 over on Laethys so you'll definitely be getting a +1 from me

~ Stargate Dreams ~
    ........................ & ....................... ~ MOONLIGHT FALLS ~

Created by Stickybuds@Wolfsbane

Quote Originally Posted by Nayukhuut View Post
    All these people saying Hogwarts make me sad. Not that it was a bad series mind, but it can't compare with the mastery of Sir Terry Pratchett, which is where the Unseen University originated. Bravo to you. I am a huge Discworld fan and seeing your post warmed my heart.
    It's all good. I was thinking perhaps a university. For the Unseen. Unseen University. And then the flood of memories of Discworld's UU sealed the decision. There's so many notable places and stories to draw inspirations from. In particular, I think you will love the Great Library (which is a perspective hack and I managed to squeeze in a maze). The Scholar's Entry is awesome fun, when you find it. And I'm about to start installing HEX http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hex_(Discworld) at the basement of the High Energy Magic Building. For the Discworld fan, there are plenty of amazing places to visit.

Hogwarts has an unfair advantage over Discworld since the movies made the location extremely visual. Whereas my intepretation of the Unseen University is coming more from the imagination (good or otherwise - you'll be the judge!)

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    Absolutely love the Lore of RIft and DImensions that weave it into them my memory does not sustain because of my hearing so having visuals helps soooo much and these creations are so WoW. Love you Laethys! Heh

Awesome SIlir!
    You have to come visit Kiwi. Laethys was your home shard!!~~

Quote Originally Posted by stickybudz View Post
    Wow! This looks awesome Silir

I'm currently working on DC and would love to stop by and check out what you did with it. The pictures and back story certainly entice you to make the effort to pay a visit and I have a lvl 10 over on Laethys so you'll definitely be getting a +1 from me
    DC is an awesome dimension to work with, and I was heavily utilizing the landscape that it provides for various needs. A number of the waterfalls were used for the Water Planar studies. The natural paths around the core, the two pools on either side - I think you'll really enjoy the Olympic length swimming pool. The natural, thin layer of water that ran along the floor level of the dimension. A lot of times, the dimension just screams at me "Do this HERE!"

The extra bonus is the size limit. 2500 item limit is about as big as you can get before the 5000 item-limit guild dimensions. I've still got a bit of room left, but already planning what I'm going to do with another 2500 items.

Do come visit and tell me what you think!
    Last edited by Silir; 10-08-2013 at 08:45 PM.

I missed a few screenshots - the lanterns connecting the High Energy Magic Building & the Tower of Art. Will add that tonight when I get home.

Also, with the aid of Magic Carpet I can take some pretty unique aerial photos of the crater that visitors won't be able to see otherwise. I'll put those up too. They will make awesome Postcards from the University.

I just made an alt to see this... amazing...

Unseen University opening.  (Laethys shard / Silir)-uu-tight-ropes.jpg

The students have refused to take down the lanterns at the top of the High Energy Magic Building connecting to the Tower of Art, after last year's celebrations. Is that a tight-rope? DO NOT attempt if you are not an Ascended!

Unseen University opening.  (Laethys shard / Silir)-uu-rubeyrose.jpg

And here's lovely Rubeyrose chilling out with Silir on top of the Tower of Art

Very nice pictures! I will have to come see this in person
    Seltara ~ Defiant

A few additional features have been completed just before the semester starts:

Unseen University opening.  (Laethys shard / Silir)-uu-pandoras-box.jpg

Statue of Pandora's Box

Unseen University opening.  (Laethys shard / Silir)-uu-potions-greenhouse.jpg

The potions class and herbs greenhouse has been upgraded.

Unseen University opening.  (Laethys shard / Silir)-uu-hex.jpg

HEX has been installed in the High Energy Magic Building.

Why does HEX look so weird, what is it? Are those actual Bee-Hives??

In short, HEX is the supercomputer inside Discworld's Unseen University, to understand the wit of Sir Terry Prachett, I quote:

Hex is activated by "initializing the GBL," ...means "pulling the Great Big Lever". This releases millions of ants into a much more complex network of glass tubes that makes up the bulk of Hex. Hex "thinks" by controlling which tubes the ants can crawl through, thus allowing it to perform increasingly complex computations if enough ants are provided (that is, if there are enough bugs in the system).
    It is all powered by a waterwheel covered in male sheep skulls, i.e. RAM. When it is particularly busy, an hourglass comes down on a spring – another sideways reference to Windows. Another apparently important feature is an aquarium, so the operator has something to watch when Hex is working (Hex's screensaver). Hex's long-term memory storage is a massive beehive. The presence of the bees makes this secure memory.

There is also a mouse (a possible reference to a "computer mouse") that has built its nest in the middle of Hex. Hex also stops working (with the error message "Mine! Waah!") if the FTB is removed/disengaged; "FTB" stands for "Fluffy Teddy Bear". The FTB may be a reference to the Jdbgmgr.exe file found in windows operating systems which had a teddy bear as its icon. [wizard] Stibbons is concerned by these signs that Hex might be alive, but dismisses these thoughts, insisting that Hex only thinks it is alive.

Hex can apparently be shut down completely by means of a Big Red Lever.
    The Fluffy Teddy Bear is necessary, and I "borrowed" the codes from Kitasia's tutorial http://riftdimensionaddicts.com/?q=node/508:
    Last edited by Silir; 10-12-2013 at 05:34 AM.

Unseen University opening.  (Laethys shard / Silir)-uu-hex-console.jpg

HEX operator console.
    • GBL (Great Big Lever)
    • RAM
    • FTB (Fluffy Teddy Bear)
    • Mouse
    • Aquarium
    • keyboard
    • Bees
    • Gears and clockwork

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast