+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 4 Post By Fredelas
  • 4 Post By Faratha

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Disappearing dimension items: bug or limitation?

Plane Touched

Default Disappearing dimension items: bug or limitation?

After a week of pulling my hair out, I've finally discovered what has been causing some of my dimension items to disappear!

When I say "disappear," I mean the object is no longer visible after every player leaves the dimension and then one or more players return.

This seems like it can happen in any dimension (I've tested 7 different dimensions), and is not related to the size, capacity, or number of items placed in the dimension. For example, you can place one item in an otherwise empty starter dimension and have it disappear.

The item can still be seen in the dimension items list, but if you try to click on it in that list, you get the error message: "The item you have selected is too far away." You can still click the button in the list to pick the item up and return it to your inventory.

It turns out that if the X or Z coordinate of the object is an exact multiple of 100, the item will disappear when the last person leaves the dimension. If the coordinate is changed by even 1/32768 in either direction (the minimum unit size for object positions), this error won't occur. Strangely, the Y coordinate doesn't seem to be affected by this at all.

The odds of someone placing an item freehand at exactly X or Z = n00 are very slim. (It's less than 1 in 10 trillion in case anyone is curious.) However, some players use Lua addons to assist them in their dimension building, which makes this situation much more likely.

I don't know if this is a bug, or just a limitation. I'm reporting it as a bug in-game now, but I wanted to share this with other dimension builders in the meantime, in case they've experienced it or want to avoid it.

Amazing find, Fred. Thanks for letting us know!
    The Road Less Traveled, Hypnotique, Hero's Quest: Belly of the Beast, Avalon, Doubleohhseven's Avatar v2.0, Promenade Penthouse, Hero's Quest: Sleeping Beauty, Mabhe's Quadradream, Everwinter, Karthan Paradise, Halls of Intoxication, Court of Shadows, Dreamscapes, Lost in Wonderland, Hero’s Quest: Hidden Canyon, Bywater, Sanguine Summer
    Greybriar Dimension Geek

3.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #3
    Rift Team

Thank you for letting us know about this bug.

We've been able to reproduce it, and it turns out that X or Z coordinates that are exact multiples of 50 also cause the item to disappear.

Our engineers are on it!

Quote Originally Posted by Faratha View Post
    Thank you for letting us know about this bug.

We've been able to reproduce it, and it turns out that X or Z coordinates that are exact multiples of 50 also cause the item to disappear.

Our engineers are on it!
    I wonder if this is the same or related to the majority of "lost dimension item" posts?

RIFT Fan Site Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Jaedor View Post
    Amazing find, Fred. Thanks for letting us know!
    Indeed an amazing find your mind fascinates me Fred. Good luck on the cottage revamp!

Telaran

I can't believe you figured this out, but thank you!

Plane Touched

It seems like this bug is still causing problems. I just wanted to remind everyone it's not safe to place items at X or Z coordinates that are an exact multiple of 50 quite yet.

I'm sure Trion is still working on it.

+ Reply to Thread