+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree302Likes

Thread: Cozy Cottages Contest!

RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar

Default Cozy Cottages Contest!

It's that time again!

There have been a plethora of contests lately, including an ongoing contest for dimensions made from fished/crafted items, sponsored by Fredelas. But there are always room for more.

The Theme: With the holidays fast approaching, our thoughts turn toward home and family. At its heart, dimensions are player housing, no matter how far we take them away from that basic premise. This contest is to bring some of that back, being specifically for houses.

Dates: This contest will end 20 December, with the winner announced 23 December.

The Prize: The winner will receive 5 REX.

The Rules: This contest is open to all shards, EU and NA. Any dimension may be used for the contest, but all entries must contain 1200 pieces or less. This contest is only for houses. Dimensions with public spaces included will be considered, as long as the overall item count of 1200 items or less is maintained. The focal point of the contest is housing. Dimensions must be open to the public for judging no later than 19 December, and remain open through the announcement of the winner.

The house must be constructed from standard building blocks, not premade pieces. This means planks, cubes, tiles, rectangles, triangles and spheres. Premade pieces may be used as interior detailing, but not as structural components. Whole premade houses are not permitted, to include existing structures in certain dimensions. Premade stairs are permitted.

Dimensions that have won previous competitions are not allowed for submission. One entry per account. I will accept recommendations, but I must have a good point of contact and be able to reach every person who submits an entry. Guild halls are not permitted, this contest is for personal dimensions only. New builds are not required, so long as the entered dimension fits the criteria of the rules. Housing style will be at the discretion of the owner, as long as it falls within the restrictions.

Judging Criteria: This contest does not depend on the +1 system in any way, but is based on theme of a home, the overall item count of the dimension, and the materials used. Is the home somewhere I could imagine living--or imagine someone else living in? Are the rooms furnished? Does the house fit the dimension used (i.e, a desert style house in Kestrel's Cry doesn't really mesh)? Along with aesthetics, structural quality will be a primary consideration, as will attention to detail.

Sumbissions: All entries must be submitted no later than 20 December. Entries submitted after 20 December will not be considered. Entries over 1200 pieces will not be considered. All entries must have the following information:

Character Name (annotate if there is a primary toon that I should contact instead)
    Shard
    Dimension Name
    At least one but no more than 3 screenshots that you feel best describes your dimension. Links to popular image sites such as Photobucket are permitted.

All entries must be submitted to this forum. I will copy this post to RiftScene, but all communications will happen here, to keep things centralized. I will, as I did with the last contest, accept entries through in game mail. I can be reached via private message on this forum for any questions, or at Baradara@Greybriar or Feendish@Greybriar by in game mail.

Happy Building!
    Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel

Baradara@Greybriar

I cant wait to see what is made holy crap.

Rift Chaser

So lets see if i got it right.

So basically for the construction of the house (not the decorating of it), you are only allowed basic buildingblocks.

So basically the whole of the building block tab in the store, or crafted items of a same kind, with the exception of anything under the header DOOR, FLOOR, ROOF, WALL, WINDOW.

Or are the windows/doors/frames you set into the walls allowed, just not the premade walls, floors, roofs to set them in/on/under?

Also I would like to ask if you can use poles? Like wooden poles or so?

Quote Originally Posted by Sarima View Post
    Also I would like to ask if you can use poles? Like wooden poles or so?
    Yes poles are part of the basic building blocks, they are included...
    Leyanyar & Taresys: Nocte Eterna Zaviel EU - Zanthas, Lalena, Corrach & Cyanese : The Templars Faeblight NA - Lalenadd & Cyanesel: RDD Road Trip on Laethys NA
    Dimensions: Cyanesel - RDDAnhkor Pools, Zanthas - Zanthas Apothercary WIP Faeblight

Quote Originally Posted by Serathe View Post
    So lets see if i got it right.

So basically for the construction of the house (not the decorating of it), you are only allowed basic buildingblocks.

So basically the whole of the building block tab in the store, or crafted items of a same kind, with the exception of anything under the header DOOR, FLOOR, ROOF, WALL, WINDOW.

Or are the windows/doors/frames you set into the walls allowed, just not the premade walls, floors, roofs to set them in/on/under?
    Stairs are permitted due to item constraints. These are the only premade pieces permitted as a structural component.

Poles are a standard building block and may be used. Any kind of standard building block whether crafted or available in the store is available for use (such as limestone, mossy brick, brown brick, painted wood, greenstone, greystone, etc.).
    Last edited by Feendish; 10-03-2013 at 03:25 AM.

Baradara@Greybriar

Telaran

So the premade doors and door frames aren't permitted. Shame, won't be able to enter my cottage then, don't have the item count to change each door in the house to a custom built one.
    Last edited by Jaida; 10-03-2013 at 09:14 AM.
    Jaida: Rogue of Imperium on Zaviel

Dimension: Eden Blossom Cottage
    Dimension: The Venus Pool

Quote Originally Posted by Jaida View Post
    So the premade doors and door frames aren't permitted. Shame, won't be able to enter my cottage then, don't have the item count to change each door in the house to a custom built one.
    That is a shame, because your cottage was quite lovely.

Baradara@Greybriar

I might actually throw my hat in the ring on this one since I was building a cottage at the moment anyhow :P
    Dimensions 'used to be' cheaper than sims now I can't afford to buy any real furniture!

Hello!
    Thanks so much for hosting this contest! It will be fun to see what people build.

My questions,

- I think when asking about poles, Sarima meant the first 2 items in the riftstore "Building block" section, the dark brown wooden pole and the stone brick pole, the rectangular ones. Just to be perfectly clear on this, are they allowed?

- The walls and columns listed in the "Barrier" section, like the gloamwood wall, can they be used as structural components?

- Can this be any kind of home? I mean like, you can sometimes see photos of public buildings (for example a church) renovated and rebuilt to become a family home, not saying I want to build that, but maybe someone does, is that okay?

- I expect there will be tons of contestants. Would you consider announcing a second and third place too, even if they don't get a gift, and maybe even a "crowd's favorite"?

Have fun building, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Seyler View Post
    Hello!
    Thanks so much for hosting this contest! It will be fun to see what people build.

My questions,

- I think when asking about poles, Sarima meant the first 2 items in the riftstore "Building block" section, the dark brown wooden pole and the stone brick pole, the rectangular ones. Just to be perfectly clear on this, are they allowed?

- The walls and columns listed in the "Barrier" section, like the gloamwood wall, can they be used as structural components?

- Can this be any kind of home? I mean like, you can sometimes see photos of public buildings (for example a church) renovated and rebuilt to become a family home, not saying I want to build that, but maybe someone does, is that okay?

- I expect there will be tons of contestants. Would you consider announcing a second and third place too, even if they don't get a gift, and maybe even a "crowd's favorite"?

Have fun building, everyone!
    There are some good questions here that I'm glad you asked.

If someone wants to use the support poles, that is acceptable.

Any kind of home is allowed, whether it's a renovated church or someone wants to make a little fae house in miniature. I don't want to stifle creativity in the slightest.

Items such as the gloamwood walls and other barriers may be used as structural components. Why, if someone wants to build a place from Gloamwood Logs, more power to them. My primary idea was to not use the premade walls/roof pieces/etc is because I've seen since their release that a lot of dimensions with them start to look the same. Not all of them, but a lot.

I would love to be able to announce second and third place prizes, and would consider a crowd favorite. This will depend a lot on the resources that I have available. I hope that there are a lot of contestants, I love seeing creativity coming from the community.

Baradara@Greybriar

Quote Originally Posted by Feendish View Post

Does the house fit the dimension used (i.e, a desert style house in Kestrel's Cry doesn't really mesh)
    It has been brought to my attention that someone has found this comment offensive. It was not intended in any such way, and I do apologize for causing any offense by this remark. What I should have said was that your entry should be appropriate to what you make of the dimension. In other words, an Arabian Nights style dwelling may not be suitable for Kestrel's Cry.

Baradara@Greybriar

You know what, judging a contest is subjective and based on the judge's taste and perceptions. Not everyone's preferences align with the host's, but expressing differing preferences is not offensive. It's also absolutely reasonable to expect content to match context.

It's not personal and people need to get off Feendish's back. No one is forcing anyone to participate, and no one is forcing her to give back to the community this way. I think her generosity is awesome, both of her prizes and her time. It's also very brave of her to host another contest with the questions, hassles, and the opening herself to criticism that comes with it.
    Last edited by Treble; 10-04-2013 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Off.... not of

Shalistiri Mirage : The Light in the Dark : Camp Catari : Dwarven Ladies Club: RP - The Basilicini of Bahralt : Lycini Townhouse : Peter, Peter, Pumpkin Eater : The Paarrrrsing Deck : Fuji Dojo : Cherry Breeze Estate on Faeblight

Getting things back on track:

After a review of my available resources, I can add 2nd and 3rd place prizes.
    2nd place: 3 REX
    3rd place: 2 REX

Those who remember my last contest know I don't like changing the rules once I've started, but in this case, I think an exception was warranted.

Please continue to ask questions if there are any. Feel free to offer suggestions and comments. I want this contest to be better than "Let's Go Out Today," and can use critiques from this contest to make the next one better than this one.

Happy Building!

Baradara@Greybriar

I hope I didn't sound greedy, I really didn't mean we want more stuff to win, I just meant it's nice if more people can get a sense of achievement and fame
    Thank you very much for your generosity

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast