• 3 Post By Silir
  • 4 Post By Kahlann
  • 1 Post By Mordrahan
  • 3 Post By Kitasia

Thread: What inspires you?

Soulwalker

Default What inspires you?

Hi everyone!

This might be kind of a silly thread to start, but I'm curious by what inspires people's creative development while building in dimensions. I'd like anyone with a moment to explain with what inspirations you have drawn from as you've watched your creative ideas transform into a virtual reality. Feel free to provide screenshots that help elaborate your anecdotes!

Dimension building has really turned into one of my favorite pastimes over the past few months, and I am now starting to understand why Minecraft was/is so popular. I've found a lot of inspiration for my dimensions not only from in-game sources, but outside in the real world as well. I've notice myself becoming more observant of the natural landscapes and the architecture that I encounter in my day-to-day life, and I catch myself saying, "oh man that would look good in this dimension."

Anyway, I'd love to hear some stories, so feel free to post!

Shadowlander

the idea to my latest creation came up when they implemented the tower with the Elevator. while trying to find a Dimension where it fit in (i really love the Tower so i bought it without a plan how to use it) i came across the Dimension "Grenze der Unendlichkeit" (must be something with infinity the crucia themed one - sorry but i am playing with a german Client ^^). after placing the Tower i used the Elevator and wow the sight was amazing - and i found myself thinking: "that must be the sight manwe has, looking at middle earth from his tower in valinor" and e voila i found myself building my Vision of Valinor (the place tolkins "gods" inherit).

greetings
    Shadana

Rift Disciple

Lets see.

Anersha's The Last Stand (on Faeblight) was inspired by/inspired a short story that's around on this forum somewhere. It's a tale of one of those alternate realities we get so very many artifacts from, told in a static dimension form. I do need to go back and update it (it's pre-2.3, after all), but it was fun to build. I'm not sure where the story itself came from originally, though.

Stefanna's Perfectly Normal House came from her personality (and background). She's a necromancer, so she needed some place to work...

Maehelm's unnamed dimension (it's a Moonshade Pools) was inspired by a house I saw in an anime. Not the specifics, though, just the general feel of it. It's been a nightmare build overall, but maybe one day I'll get it done.

The rest of my dims are extremely unfinished, so getting into their inspiration is kind of pointless, sadly.

RIFT Fan Site Operator

You all inspire me.
    Cheesy but true.

My builds are often based on the item/s. I gravitate toward things we naturally wouldnt think are that great - I've done a fishing items dimension when I loathed fishing after doing it so much, one based on Soblek Wooden Dummies etc I might also do something done a lot the way I see it like my current build which is a renovation of a bachelor pad I built for a friend and now its my Dream house. Otherwise what inspires me is seeing other people inspired as well as the travels I've had or will have. Most of these reflections you'll find on my website and the Rift Scene.

There was a similar thread back ages ago when dimensions were new. Thanks for bringing it up again since so much has changed!

When 2.3 launched, I was down in the dumps and really feeling bummed about dimensions. So I bought some mystery boxes to see if something would pop and got an Ashoran Mountain out of one of them and started fiddling around in Faen's. I had no idea they were so huge and being able to terraform Faen's produced sudden inspiration to build Hero's Quest: Hidden Canyon.
    The Road Less Traveled, Hypnotique, Hero's Quest: Belly of the Beast, Avalon, Doubleohhseven's Avatar v2.0, Promenade Penthouse, Hero's Quest: Sleeping Beauty, Mabhe's Quadradream, Everwinter, Karthan Paradise, Halls of Intoxication, Court of Shadows, Dreamscapes, Lost in Wonderland, Heros Quest: Hidden Canyon, Bywater, Sanguine Summer
    Greybriar Dimension Geek

RIFT Fan Site Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Jaedor View Post
    There was a similar thread back ages ago when dimensions were new. Thanks for bringing it up again since so much has changed!

When 2.3 launched, I was down in the dumps and really feeling bummed about dimensions. So I bought some mystery boxes to see if something would pop and got an Ashoran Mountain out of one of them and started fiddling around in Faen's. I had no idea they were so huge and being able to terraform Faen's produced sudden inspiration to build Hero's Quest: Hidden Canyon.
    So glad you found inspiration I dig having you in our Community. I also went Mystery box crazy which fed my love for building based on items cemented from those early days we all sat around fishing till our lures bled lol. I say "went" as in past tense as I have a great supply of stuff now and only really buy building blocks to supplement builds.

You know, it can be anything.

I just saw a birdhouse in a RL store this morning and it made me think of covering a steeply pitched roof with curvy 6 pronged idols to make a sweet Victorian bungalow.

I have a wheat field in Cherry Breeze Estate that was inspired by the hay field I drive past every day. A small, probably 50 item, lighthouse in that dimension inspired me to build the much larger lighthouse in The Light in the Dark.

Before 2.3 Trion had some of the Brevane houses like you see used all over SL zones on PTS, but they aren't live, so when I built the townhouse in Plaza Aurentine I was trying to use the items we have to make something similar.

I built Camp Catari out of nostalgia for a campground I used to visit as a kid that has since been shut down. Not just shut down and abandoned, but completely razed for insurance and liability reasons. The last time I was there was not long after my father's unexpected death, and to see it gone felt so wrenching because I had so many great memories of him there. The other side of that coin is that it's also built out of hoping I can find a special place like that to make memories for my own children to treasure.

Shalistiri Mirage : The Light in the Dark : Camp Catari : Dwarven Ladies Club: RP - The Basilicini of Bahralt : Lycini Townhouse : Peter, Peter, Pumpkin Eater : The Paarrrrsing Deck : Fuji Dojo : Cherry Breeze Estate on Faeblight

RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar

Oh, boy, this may be a long post...

Inspiration comes from many sources. Tower of the Sky and Black Flower Shrine were both inspired by real life buildings--the pyramid at Chichen Itza and the Tomb of Muhammed Shah in Delhi. The Sophia was inspired by the Hagia Sophia, and Sumus Futui (built for a friend) was inspired by Pompeii, but the idea was to have it be but moments before the volcano blew.

Ancient Splendors was inspired archaeological digs. With Hammerknell in the distance, it was easy to wonder what kind of ruined city might be in Moonshade Pools, but taking things that I find amazing in the real world to fill it with.

When I walk into an empty dimension, sometimes I see what I want it to be very clearly, I just need to get the skill to bring what I see to some kind of life. A lot of times, that's easier said than done. Cloud Garden started as an experiment and turned into a full blown build with the placement of the first mossy outcropping. The Oasis Bungalow (newly remodeled for the umpteenth time) has been more difficult.

Storage dimensions are great for inspiration as well. Tempest Museum and Gallery started as a storage dimension, full of hunt statues and big worms and magitech that I didn't think I would ever use, until I looked at the alcoves in Plaza Aurentine and started fiddling.

Movies and pop culture are also great. I've seen wonderful examples taken from a different game. Lone Star's Campground was inspired by one of my favorites, Spaceballs. My current project is a direct homage to Army of Darkness (hopefully I'll have it done in time for Halloween).

As Treble says, inspiration can come from anywhere. Touring other people's work is a great way to be inspired, when you see that one piece that flips the switch and brings on that A-HA! moment.
    Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel

Baradara@Greybriar

I have more inspiration than I know what to do with! The first dimensions I started (some still unfinished) were based on my characters, their roles/races/backstories. I've gotten a lot of inspiration from touring other's dimensions and from contests that others have held, even if I don't directly participate in them. Another source of inspiration is gameplay, as I run around I take screenshots of things I'd like to replicate, even in other games like Defiance. I could go on and on, inspiration isn't my shortcoming, but motivation is! Maybe someday I'll actually get all of my inspired projects finished, but not before something new inspires me

Plane Touched

Oh man, what a question!

Everything can inspire me, most of my works are castles, or my inspiration comes from other dimensioneers. A short list I guess would encompass Video Games (Assassins Creed) Movies (Lord of the Rings), real life (Mayan Ruins, Scotland, England) and some of my works are a complete mix or something I see as unique.
    "What is the difference between a "great man" and a "hero"?
    A great man fights until he falls
    A hero gets back up"

I'm still a beginner dim-addict, but I shall answer anyway.

One inspiration is my husband, who sometimes just says, hey why don't you build this and that.
    And then the gears in my brain switch on. lol
    I also catch myself staring at real objects wondering how I could recreate them from rift items.

As with everyone else, all the other players' dimensions are best to inspire in various ways. Sometimes just seeing that something IS possible is enough to start. But looking at all the huge amount of creativity out there that makes you go whoaw!, is a real driving force.
    So share it all!

I was looking at everyone's dimensions and was being so impressed.

But I really wanted a theme to tie my dimension together, and I remember thinking... may be a school. And being the Defiant / Asha Catari fan that I am, I thought:

Hey why not a school for the gifted, elite Defiants. A college for the Unseen (bigger and better than the College of Planar Studies). Hmm the Unseen University.

Which happens to be the name of a really awesome place by a favourite author of mine: Terry Pratchett of Discworld fame.

So off I go making my dream come true. I needed a big dimension: Dormant Core. Which is also the backstory: Defiants taking over the Dormant Core after Maelforge's defeat to build a secret center of study.

Still working on this, but do come visit or watch my poor stream while I work on this. Will advertise properly when it's done (when I hit the item limit). I also need to hunt down the names of people / dimensions that has inspired me and credit them properly.
    Last edited by Silir; 10-04-2013 at 05:17 AM.

Plane Touched

There is so much that inspired me but I think the kindle was a visit to dragondancer's Elegant Art Gallery. I had been fiddling a bit and using the chair as a chair and pots as pots etc, but after seeing what she did and after a tour with her through her dims I said to myself: this is what I want to do: make something unique, morph things.
    When I came back to guild chat, I tend to block out all things when I am building (my guildies call it Dim-mode ), I asked what they wanted to see in the guild dim. My GL said : an AT AT. That is where it started.....

Other dims are inspired by my kids. They often go: Mom build me a xxxx. Ofc I get to pay for it and harvest etc...... lazy kids lol. I just love building, it is relaxing.
    Last edited by Kahlann; 10-05-2013 at 04:04 AM.

Oh yes Dragondancer's Elegance gallery... Was the first time I saw morphs done for art... This was a true revelation.
    I went on tour visiting, wondering, dreaming...
    My inspiration comes first from my character's background. I build for them, a place where they belong. So my Shoreward island is a place with a laboratory, machines, and a residential house.
    But a dim like my zen planar garden is a mix. Some things there are replicas of real japanese objects, and the garden itself is a concept, you go on the way and travel from one element to the other, and it is a meditation path.
    Some objects are sources of inspiration. I bought the tower too, and put it in the Infinity dim, because it was so fitting in this wonderful place. Nothing more is done there, but I will build there when I got ideas.
    And I'm playing with terraformation after visiting some wonderful places made totally different by their owner.
    So you all are a very good source of endless inspiration

Dimensions on Brisesol : Domaine Imari (Mordrahan) / Centre de recherches (Mordrahan) / Laboratoire glaciaire (Mordrahan) / Last hope (Aislyn) / Le refuge du Corbeau Rouge (Kasora) / Kelari spirit (Asri) / Ghost ship (Syel) / A la vie, la mort (Sadar) / Le chemin de l'harmonie (Sadar) / Temple Solaire (Sadar) / Refuge de montagne (Sadar)

What inspires me? Well I am really bad at everything I do in real life. I mean everything. I am not exaggerating. You see that pintrest post of what it is supposed to look like and the fails. I am the fail

I have always loved the cottage and huge over grown flower garden look. I have always bought books of gardens, waterfalls, ponds, flowers and cottages. When I was younger I even bought my house because it looked like the new interior walls we have for dims.

So the thing that inspires me is a dream. When I build I dream I am somewhere in my own dreams. My dream yard my dream house. Every thing I have built comes from something I dreamed was my own. Every one of my builds has a story I made up in my head and a dream I stayed in bed a little longer in the mornings thinking about tell I just couldn't wait another minute to make as close to a reality as I could make it.

When that dream is just a feeling and fuzzy colors. I turn to pintrest and google and look up the words I am feeling. Like happy, lonely, pink, wood. Then I look for hours untell the picture isn't as fuzzy and it starts to become corporeal.
    Last edited by Kitasia; 10-05-2013 at 03:19 PM.

+ Reply to Thread