+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: homemade nightsky

Default homemade nightsky

Hello fellow dimensionerds,

I'm attempting to make a nightsky on my own for my dimension. I have started with using black marble tiles and was going to make stars out of those glowy balls you can shrink to tiny balls.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would love to hear about them, as im not very far on the building yet and it would be easy to modify still.

Big thanks, Shallow@gelidra eu

RIFT Fan Site Operator Tamarama's Avatar

If the balls turn out to be too big, consider using the white glowing puffball mushrooms.

Better Homes and Dimensions - A blog just for Dimensions.

You might also consider using Stargrass for stars, or the new drop, Moonshade Stargrass.
    The Road Less Traveled, Hypnotique, Hero's Quest: Belly of the Beast, Avalon, Doubleohhseven's Avatar v2.0, Promenade Penthouse, Hero's Quest: Sleeping Beauty, Mabhe's Quadradream, Everwinter, Karthan Paradise, Halls of Intoxication, Court of Shadows, Dreamscapes, Lost in Wonderland, Heros Quest: Hidden Canyon, Bywater, Sanguine Summer
    Greybriar Dimension Geek

Plane Touched

I recommend using the undersides of Snowy Wall Pillars for your sky. They're the blackest surface available, and they're so dark, shadows aren't even really visible on them. (One drawback is that if players are using the Low Quality Renderer option, they may appear blindingly white instead of black.)

I used 31 pillars to create a half-sphere 30 meters in diameter, although you may need significantly more. I've heard that the bases of some buildings are also the same blank black texture (and are bigger than the pillars), but those were too expensive for me to test out.

Menhirs work great for stars if you leave just the tip poking through your sky dome. The Ivory Menhir (from PvP) is especially beautiful in the twinkling effect it creates.

Note that even if you completely enclose your dimension, the ambient lighting in most dimensions is still pretty bright, so you may end up with daytime lighting beneath a night sky.

Here's a screenshot of a test dimension with this effect applied.

homemade nightsky-2013-09-26_105116.jpg

Thanks for all the suggestion, the snowy pillars worked perfectly! Now im just on a hunt how to make moon

RIFT Fan Site Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Sarima View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestion, the snowy pillars worked perfectly! Now im just on a hunt how to make moon
    Glad it all worked out and nice to meet you on NA shards Shallowed. If you are ever on Greybriar shard when you come over check out "Tower 89" he done a space mural that might catch your eye and prompt more ideas like the great ones already given.

Maybe try a Snowy Orb for the moon, unless you want a harvest moon, then you can try orange.

Shalistiri Mirage : The Light in the Dark : Camp Catari : Dwarven Ladies Club: RP - The Basilicini of Bahralt : Lycini Townhouse : Peter, Peter, Pumpkin Eater : The Paarrrrsing Deck : Fuji Dojo : Cherry Breeze Estate on Faeblight

RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar

An enoki algae turned bottom side out and finagled just so might work, also.
    Last edited by Feendish; 09-28-2013 at 02:56 PM.
    Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel

Baradara@Greybriar

Heya again guys and gals,

I wanted to show you people how my sky ended up looking.

Here

Quote Originally Posted by Sarima View Post
    Heya again guys and gals,

I wanted to show you people how my sky ended up looking.

Here
    I really love that. Ive been wanting a half decent night sky for awhile. Im very tempted to create something like this at some point. Such a genius idea, well done
    Zaviel - East Telaran Company
    Dims. Braigh Mharr town, winter wonderland, Village and airship goliath.

Plane Touched

Wow, that turned out really lovely!

I'm impressed at your dedication to place all those stars and planets in the sky, and even make some constellations!

turned out cool !!! ^-^ I was first going to say you could make a shooting star from the one cylindrical sphere the pvp red or blue glowing fire like ones think would make awesome shooting stars =J just a after idea... was late seeing this any way lol =} I love how it turned out hehe=)

I visited it yesterday, it's amazing and I love the colorful little stars. It's a scary dimension though

Soulwalker

I tried to go look at this dimension tonight, but I couldn't find it. Could someone tell me the character or dimension name, please? I tried looking up Shallow and Sarima, but neither of those seem to be the right character.

The chars name is Shallow, dimension name is Twisted fairytale and it is located in Gelidra Eu. If you still can not find it, I can check the visiting rights, but it should be set to public.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast