+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Treble

Thread: Faeblight Dimensioneers (and others too!)

Telaran

Default Faeblight Dimensioneers (and others too!)

I recently made a new alt on Faeblight because I'd like to eventually RP (once I figure out my story arc). In any case, whenever I make a dimension, I usually stop halfway, then start another. I know I'll eventually get back to my other ones, but to keep in the RP spirit, I was hoping to do a string of Dims with a common theme.

I'm thinking I may do and Authorian theme. I love the tales of King Arthur, and have written novels involving them, it's just amazing I hadn't considered using them as a theme for dims until now.

I already have my first dim planned. I'm going to use Faen's Retreat and do a holy grail/fountain of youth combo. At the moment, I'm trying to decide if I want it all to be enclosed (you start in the tunnels underground) or do part outside and part inside. The main reason I'm picking this dim is because of the natural sand and water.

I have ideas for Avalon of course, and the Lady of the Lake as well.

Anyone else try to use themes? How long did you stick with it (how many dimensions) until you either ran out of steam or changed your mind?

ETA: Can you tell I'm anxiously waiting for the shards to come back up? Soon as I hit 40 (5 levels to go!) I'll start building.
    Last edited by Lunedera; 09-25-2013 at 07:16 AM.

You should meet up with Agrona, I know he already has an Avalon themed dimension and a lovely poem to go with it.

Also, I'm not sure how many people intentionally stick to a theme across multiple dimensions, but I do find that there are often similarities across all a person's dimensions. It might be the way they build a couch, wall art, architectural elements, plant groupings, or a favorite item that marks someone's build like a signature. Some also add a tag to the dim name as an actual concrete signature.

On a personal level, the only time I've consciously linked two dimensions visually was by carrying the six pronged idol and enoki algae accents from the original Sanctuary of the Machineborn to the house in Cherry Breeze Estate. Whether or not my own contain common threads, I couldn't tell you, it seems easier to notice as an observer. It could be that you will be building a continued theme without even realizing but that stands out to someone else.

Of course, for a role-playing server, there are those that do carry a theme. For example, the original House Ayachor and Destruction of Ayachor together tell a story to someone who has visited both, whether or not they were involved in the actual role-play that went on. Ayachor Pools extends the story to rebuilding, renewed prosperity, and additions to the family while still being an absolutely beautiful dimension on its own. As a non-role-player or outsider, I can still "read" the events even though I don't think I've ever met the builders. That's what I call good storytelling.

Shalistiri Mirage : The Light in the Dark : Camp Catari : Dwarven Ladies Club: RP - The Basilicini of Bahralt : Lycini Townhouse : Peter, Peter, Pumpkin Eater : The Paarrrrsing Deck : Fuji Dojo : Cherry Breeze Estate on Faeblight

I never stuck to a theme really. Stopping in the middle of I have done many times. However what happens more often then not I start something as onething and it turns out compleatly differnt.

Rift Disciple

I don't stick to a theme as such, but all of Anersha's dims (with the obvious exception of Storage, which is, well, for storage) have a very nature-y theme to them. Which makes sense, since she is a Druid. Sure, she has other souls, some of which she even uses sometimes. But at her core, from a story PoV, she will always be a Druid. Thus, the finished The Last Stand, and her still unfinished Hailol and Dormant Core all share that nature feel.

Plus, I think she has a thing for living in trees, since all three will feature tree houses, of sorts. Which makes her a monkey, I believe?

If I can ever afford to do some more dims for Stefanna, I imagine they might follow a theme, though, since she... is what she is. Maybe when the plat fairy drops off all the plat Daglar pulled out of the economy with those gilded weapons...

Telaran

With Meirah, my first plan was to do a holy theme since my first spec was as a paladin. However, I've since changed to doing a warlord/champion hybrid which is faster for leveling, so now I'm not so sure.

I don't know much about her story yet. I was thinking she was a knight belonging to some old order, but that sounds terribly cliche. I've also thought of how she may have worked alongside King Arthur, but somehow has been unable to age since then.

I really should tie her arc into the game, but the lore belonging to the guardians is new to me.

Ascendant

I've stuck with an outside theme twice and a rp theme once. I built a castle and a windmill. My rp dimension had a story and that is kind of theme. All times it kept me on track and was a big help. Intact I find it hard to build without a theme

Soulwalker

Default Greetings

I have only just moved to Faeblight from Hailol, specifically to get some RP use out of my Dim's
    I am VERY theme oriented lol comes from my background in interior design and a bacnhlord in Humanities & Mythology.

I think it comes out the best in my dim Garden of the Gods, which is a Greco/ Roman Temple complex. I am a panthesist in real life, so it fits me very well. I am tossing around a castle themed dim for the future, still trying to decide how I want to do it, and what I want to accomplish with it, so we will see.

Look me up on Faeblight, my main is Nyt and alt Zorcha

Dimensions
    Faeblight: Garden of the Gods, Paradiso, Stonefeild Inn & Tavern

All my dims have themes, I can't focus on building a good, interesting dim unless I know what it is I'm trying to show or display.
    My current dim is designed to be a "truck stop" for boat captains, called "Edge of Universe Bar & Grill" (dormant core), another is a battleground waiting to happen, another is a boggling village of mages, and the guild dim is designed around Escher's sketches and drawings.
    Whenever players ask for advice on dims the first thing I tell them is pick a theme to build around... or you could wander aimlessly trying to decide what & how to build.

I'm on Faeblight if anyone wants to visit:
    - Fearless Tavern (guild dim)
    - Edge of Universe Bar & Grill
    - Seek & Annihilate (PVP)
    - Kiss The Sky (not on weekly list, no likes)
    Last edited by Wonk; 09-29-2013 at 10:00 AM.
    I Rift, therefore I am.

Plane Touched

The closest thing I've done to a theme for a dimension has been Helm's Deep which has been under lock and key waiting for another item increase which we recently discovered we will likely never see. (So it's future is up in the air)

I typically do my own thing, I have a personal love for Castles so I build them primarily and typically decide on a theme individual to each. Recently I've begun to try to capture that near ruin/degraded feel of some castles although I find this can be quite item intensive.

I guess though if I learned anything from trying to build the keep of Helm's Deep was that while you can do the structure somewhat accurately the landscape just didn't work which is why after it's completion I turned away from themes entirely but I hope this works out for you!!
    "What is the difference between a "great man" and a "hero"?
    A great man fights until he falls
    A hero gets back up"

Telaran

Ooo, Helm's Deep sounds like it would've been a good one. I understand your frustration with the item limit though. Right now I'm planning how much item allowance I should give to certain structures so I'm within the limit, but it still sucks.

Of course I realize we need an item limit so folks don't lag up when entering our dims as well.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Lunedera View Post
    Ooo, Helm's Deep sounds like it would've been a good one. I understand your frustration with the item limit though. Right now I'm planning how much item allowance I should give to certain structures so I'm within the limit, but it still sucks.

Of course I realize we need an item limit so folks don't lag up when entering our dims as well.
    Actually because of both my successes and failures at Helm's Deep it taught me tricks on making more with less. In that case I can't think of how I could have cut out more from that dim which is why even now it's locked up from everyone because I just feel regardless of the size and scope of it. It's empty and lacking, more of a sore spot for me but definitely a learning moment as well.

Best of luck in all of this!
    "What is the difference between a "great man" and a "hero"?
    A great man fights until he falls
    A hero gets back up"

+ Reply to Thread