+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Arthritis
  • 3 Post By Faratha
  • 2 Post By dalthium
  • 1 Post By Kiwi

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: A Case For Space

Default A Case For Space

This may be long overdue and I may have already said it (I don't remember) but "Thank you, Trion for increasing the item limit of dimensions."

Way back in February of this year I had groused a little about 760 not being anywhere near enough for the Faen's Retreat dimension that I bought and worked on (by the way, you folks gave me another Faen's Retreat for free based on the new Loyalty system for my years of being a subscriber prior to free-to-play and I still have it in my bank - any chance I can trade it for another dimension or equip it and have two completely different Faen's Retreats on a single toon?) and I just recently got around to increasing the limit to 1520 and have once again hit the limit and am nowhere near finished with my dimension. Sure, I'm further along than I was but still need at least another 13,000 - 14,000 items to complete my little slice of Rift.

Faen's Retreat is just way to big to have such a paltry maximum item limit of 1520. Stone Flask Tavern is smaller but can hold 5000. I just don't get it. Its like giving a starving kid a bread crumb to eat while giving a midget a feast.

Anyway, I do appreciate that I was able to progress on what I originally had in mind when I started my dimension eight months ago. I really do. Maybe someday you will give Faen's Retreat a more realistic item limit and I might take the time then to finish what I started.

And if anyone is interested, my dimension can be found on Wolfsbane. Just look for my name in the Public List and visit anytime you want. You can visit at any level (create a level 1 alt on Wolfsbane) but I think you need to be level 10 to +1.

And if you do visit, please take a few minutes to explore EVERY nook and cranny.

Thank you.

They've already said they're not planning/able to increase the item limits anymore currently, but - stone flask tavern is much larger than faen's retreat in terms of space....

Quote Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
    They've already said they're not planning/able to increase the item limits anymore currently, but - stone flask tavern is much larger than faen's retreat in terms of space....
    Actually, its not. I thought that it was at first but then when my guild bought it for their dimension I took some measurements and Faen's is bigger in both width and height, at least when it comes to useable space. If you have build access to both of these dimensions go ahead and see for yourself. I used the crafted greenstone rectangles placed end to end lengthwise at ground level and roughly two lengths below the "ceiling".

Even if it were possible to completely remove the buildings from Stone Flask Tavern, it does not have as much useable space as Faen's. Speaking of which, it would be FAN-TAS-TIC to be able to completely remove the default buildings and trees from dimensions, especially Stone Flask Tavern.

Just sayin'.

One max scale giant ember isle palm plunked down on top of the mud hut will clear Faen's for you. And a couple ashoran mountains will cover the buildings in stone flask. I've seen some remarkable things done to terraform both those spaces, especially since they go so high.
    The Road Less Traveled, Hypnotique, Hero's Quest: Belly of the Beast, Avalon, Doubleohhseven's Avatar v2.0, Promenade Penthouse, Hero's Quest: Sleeping Beauty, Mabhe's Quadradream, Everwinter, Karthan Paradise, Halls of Intoxication, Court of Shadows, Dreamscapes, Lost in Wonderland, Hero’s Quest: Hidden Canyon, Bywater, Sanguine Summer
    Greybriar Dimension Geek

I hate to break it to you but the personal dim and the guild version of stoneflask have different item capacities. the guild dim has a higher capacity only because they expect multiple people to "use" it. and it has a ton more "buildable space than faen's. if the Item capacity is too low you might want to think about investing in DC for your build.

Quote Originally Posted by Lostcode View Post
    ...and it has a ton more "buildable space than faen's.
    This is demonstrably false. I've made the measurements myself. Twice. Faen's has more useable space than Stone Flask Tavern. Even if you removed all the buildings in SFT, it still has less useable space than Faen's WITH its little house. Go ahead and measure them for yourself using the method I gave in my previous post.

Item limits should be based on actual useable space, not whether or not an individual dimension is categorized as "personal" or "guild". At least, that's the thinking I would've used when approving them for release had I been the "creative" person in charge. But, I'm not and I think that's a good thing. God help Trion if I was in charge of Rift....rofl! First two things I would do - get rid of all of Storm Legion (except dimensions 'cuz they are a fun distraction) and roll back ALL souls to pre-1.11. Don't like it? Go play something else. LOL!

Yeah....I think its a good thing.

7.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #7
    Rift Team

Dimension item limits do not, and are not intended to directly scale with dimension volume.

Item limits correlate with dimension prices, and prices are determined by how cool or awesome we think the space is. It's true that the size of a dimension does contribute to how awesome it is, but we consider several other factors as well, such as how novel or scenic it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Faratha View Post
    Dimension item limits do not, and are not intended to directly scale with dimension volume.

Item limits correlate with dimension prices, and prices are determined by how cool or awesome we think the space is. It's true that the size of a dimension does contribute to how awesome it is, but we consider several other factors as well, such as how novel or scenic it is.
    Awesome. I was quite surprised to see you respond to this, Faratha. Thank you. Speaking of scenic, that's kind of where my disappointment lies with the current limit as all I can do it this:

A Case For Space-2013-09-25_171451.jpg

Don't get me wrong. I am VERY appreciative of being able to get as far as I have but with the ability to add another 13,000 - 14,000 items it would actually look awesome. At least to me.

Oh yeah. And as for dimensions AS A WHOLE, I just want to take a moment to let you (Faratha) know that I think you and your team have REALLY done and outstanding job. Honest. I can't wait to see all the Autumn Harvest items you've been working on.

Thanks again!

Before you say the Tavern dim is smaller, make sure you go UP, because there is a whole another area up top to build as well as others inbetween. Please visit "Fearless Tavern" on Faeblight and tell me if all of it would fit inside Faen's space.... no such luck.
    I Rift, therefore I am.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Arthritis View Post
    Awesome. I was quite surprised to see you respond to this, Faratha. Thank you. Speaking of scenic, that's kind of where my disappointment lies with the current limit as all I can do it this:

Attachment 14455

Don't get me wrong. I am VERY appreciative of being able to get as far as I have but with the ability to add another 13,000 - 14,000 items it would actually look awesome. At least to me.

Oh yeah. And as for dimensions AS A WHOLE, I just want to take a moment to let you (Faratha) know that I think you and your team have REALLY done and outstanding job. Honest. I can't wait to see all the Autumn Harvest items you've been working on.

Thanks again!
    Then once that cap is reached people will have the exact same argument. There has to be some limit in order to take server bandwidth into account.

RIFT Fan Site Operator

Quote Originally Posted by dalthium View Post
    Then once that cap is reached people will have the exact same argument. There has to be some limit in order to take server bandwidth into account.
    +1

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Wonk View Post
    Before you say the Tavern dim is smaller, make sure you go UP, because there is a whole another area up top to build as well as others inbetween. Please visit "Fearless Tavern" on Faeblight and tell me if all of it would fit inside Faen's space.... no such luck.
    You should also be able to take a look at The Startled Thief Pub on Faeblight. Be sure to take the stairs all the way up to the roof of the world. If you're very particular about where you jump from, you may be able to land on the top of the chimney . If you do, please post a screenshot of it. I did it once about 6 months ago and forgot to grab one.
    Fahrenheit and Celsius temperature scales have probably not been rationalized due to puritanical reasons. If the freezing point in both scales was 0, then body temperature would be 66.6F. If it was 32 degrees, body temperature would be 69C.

Silly reason, no matter how you think of it.

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Wonk View Post
    Faens retreat is pretty big, you can climb up to the top of all the mountains and build up there, i never tried to hit the ceiling but I suspect it is very high.

That was my first dimension so I spread stuff way out and tried to fill in the space or make it look like I tried to use all of the space.

Blue Lagoon on SB if you want to see where I spread it out and how high you can go.

It has a Stargate too if that sweetens the urge to visit :P.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodarin View Post
    Faens retreat is pretty big, you can climb up to the top of all the mountains and build up there, i never tried to hit the ceiling but I suspect it is very high.
    When I said UP, I meant there is additional land up top, not just space/air.
    I Rift, therefore I am.

+ Reply to Thread