+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: How do you stay awake when you fish?

Telaran

Default How do you stay awake when you fish?

I know this is a basic question, but seeing as I'm posting it because I'm hunting dim items, I figured I'd post it here. Now, I like to fish. I find it relaxing, and it's just the thing I need to unwind for the evening or even to get myself going in the morning.

That said, I finally decided on my next dim, which will be snowy. I love snowy zones and don't see enough dims to reflect this, so here I am. I've got my imbued fishing pole and have situated myself in Iron Pine. It's a peaceful little spot where I can just hear the snow falling off the trees and cascading onto the ground.

That peacefulness however, is tiring. In most zones, I'm either not there too long, or fish the pools. Iron Pine, because of the ice, doesn't have many (close) areas to fish.

I stationed myself south-west of Labors where there is both deep and shallow water, but as I said...not much going on around me to keep my mind occupied. And I've already spent time browsing the item shop, so that's out.

So, when you're in a long fishing cycle, what do you do to stay alert? I've tried music of all kinds, but I still get lulled into that overwhelming sense of calm

Also, if the dim Gods are listening, while I love snowy pointed rocks, could you please throw me a lacy elven table now and again? Thanks.
    Last edited by Lunedera; 09-12-2013 at 11:06 AM.

I generally look through my other windows, like achievements, artifact collections, etc. to keep my mind occupied and just listen for the "sloosh" to right click. Either that, or watch a show on my while doing it.
    Lils@Greybriar

65 Rogue/Dimension Addict

I catch up on family guy episodes or watch anime on my other screen. I have sound FX set to high on the game so I can hear the fish splash.

I wish they'd change fishing to a more exciting minigame though (thinking old school breath of fire 3) where you had to actually real in the fish and be creative with lures, move left and right to get out of weeds and rocks, etc, and most importantly managing the tightness of the line so it doesnt break. But it paid off in the end because your skill level directly contributed to the kinds of fish you would get rather than just chance.
    Last edited by Xenoheart; 09-12-2013 at 11:56 AM.
    Xenohart
    http://www.fractureguild.enjin.com/ | twitch.tv/xenohartgaming
    4/4 TDQ | 4/4 FT | 5/5 EE | 4/4 GA | 3/3 IG | 4/5 PB | 2/4 BOB 4/4 minis
    I just make it look easy sometimes. ~Daglar

Telaran

I might have to start putting Netflix up on my tablet while I fish then. I don't mind it, I just kind of hit a wall after an hour or so

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Lunedera View Post
    I might have to start putting Netflix up on my tablet while I fish then. I don't mind it, I just kind of hit a wall after an hour or so
    In that case, I'd recommend limiting your fishing to an hour at a time. The game has plenty of other interesting activities, so why not go participate in them for a bit to mix things up?

Telaran

I was planning to farm artifacts for a bit, but I really want to start working on my dim soon ;)

Ahh, the things we sacrifice for our dimensions.

RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar

I fish two lures, stop for about 10 minutes or so, then fish two more, if I'm farming particular items and need sustained time in a certain area. During the thirty minutes or so I'm actually fishing, I browse achievements, artifact sets to make note of which ones I'm close to closing out and scroll through various lists, or I watch some TV. If I get REALLY bored, I hit the wardrobe tab and look at clothes.

IPP is just one of those spots, sadly.
    Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel

Baradara@Greybriar

Default How do you stay awake as you fish?

Coffee and trophy lures.
    Zenahk@Laethys

Telaran

I just got my first trophy lures yesterday, and they have made it a bit easier. I like Feendish's idea of using two lures then taking a break. I'll have to remember that for my next session.

Fishing 292 and growing

I fish in windowed mode and make the screen very tiny . Turn on net flix. I change my clicks to one and two and play by sound leaving my curser in on spot. the 1 2 cast 111 real in auto loot than 1choose pole 2 cast 111 real in start over hehe. So normally I cant read chat when am fishing. Cause I am old according to my kids and my eyes dont see words that small.
    Last edited by Kitasia; 09-12-2013 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunedera View Post
    when you're in a long fishing cycle, what do you do to stay alert? I've tried music of all kinds, but I still get lulled into that overwhelming sense of calm .
    I have my twitter feed running in game and on my tablet, and I just click and read the news. It has replaced my morning FB/news sessions.
    Come and knock on my door...
    Elvenhome (Totally NOT a dragoncult) | Nestle Down

Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time. - Marthe Troly-Curtin, 1912

RIFT Fan Site Operator Tamarama's Avatar

i go to https://www.coursera.org/courses and listen to lectures. At the moment I'm working my way through 'Epigenetic Control Of Gene Expression'. Lectures are usually 10 to 15 min long so I can tailor the lure to the lecture length.

Yeah, I know I'm probably wierd like that but they say fish are great food for the brain....

Better Homes and Dimensions - A blog just for Dimensions.

A lot of times I do nothing but enjoy the peace and quiet while I'm fishing, but occasionally I'll listen to music or play app games on my hubby's phone (it really sucks that there aren't many apps for windows phones, which I wanted for zunes). IPP is actually the first place I did looooooooooong hours of fishing when I did my kestrel dim, topped only by stillmoor as my latest. I have a lot of IPP items I'm not using, are you in the same cluster as Shatterbone? I can see if I have what you're looking for now that we can trade fishing loot

Honestly I usually do my fishing on the nights when I just can't seem to fall asleep. Second best sleep aid I have found. LOL
    Shiadra, Shiasha, Facemoth, and Fimhira
    <Wandering Idiot>
    Dimensions on Deepwood: Bandit Hideout and Silverwood Playground

Telaran

Akhor, I'm on Threesprings, so that would be a yes, though I don't have much of anything to trade just yet Stillmoor is my next target for their tables.

Now, I know I asked this on the general forums and I was told no, but some of you in this thread make it sound like you can fish one handed. If so, is there a macro to actually cast your line? I know you hit your fishing button, but you still have to click on the water. Unless there's another way (outside of botting scripts obviously)?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast