+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree105Likes

Thread: Dimension Contest: Win a Toxic Hellbug mount and pet!

Plane Touched

Default Dimension Contest: Win a Toxic Hellbug mount and pet!

Many exciting possibilities have opened up for dimensions since Patch 2.3. However, these new items can be very expensive. I want to offer a contest that puts all the entrants on equal footing, regardless of how deep their pockets are. How well you do in this contest will depend mostly on the time, effort, and creativity you put into it, and not how much you spend.

My German and French aren't good enough to accurately translate this post, but others are welcome to translate it or repost it elsewhere, as long as players are referred back to this thread to enter. Help spread the word!

ELIGIBILITY
    All players on North American and European shards (any language) are eligible, except that members of my guild <Order of Paragon> on the Threesprings shard are not eligible (to avoid any appearance of bias).
    GUIDELINES
    1. Your entry may be built in any personal dimension. (Guild dimensions are not eligible. Sorry!)
    2. Your entry may have been entered in other contests in the past. (It doesn't have to be a new build.)
    3. You may only enter one dimension in this contest. (Give it your best effort!)
    4. Your entry must allow the public to visit. (So I can judge it.)
    5. Your entry must have at least one +1 recommendation. (You can do this yourself. This helps me find it.)
    6. There is no item limit for this contest. (The total number of items used won't affect the judging.)
    7. You must not place any items significantly outside the boundaries of the dimension. (It must be safe.)
    8. There is no theme required for this contest. (You can build anything you want!)
    9. Your entry must use only crafted and fished-up items in your dimension, except that you may include up to a total of five non-crafted or non-fished-up items which you must list in your entry. (This means five items total, not five items 50 times each. This makes the contest challenging, but also cheap!)
    You can find convenient lists of crafted and fished-up items at many RIFT fan sites. Here are just a few:
    RiftDimensionAddicts.comCraftedFished-up
    Rift-Source.comCraftedFished-up
    RiftDimension.comCraftedFished-up

PRIZES
    The overall winner will receive a code for an account-wide Toxic Hellbug mount and Phero companion pet.
    In the unlikely event that I become rich (or receive donated prizes) during the time of this contest, I may award additional prizes of other types to runners-up or outstanding entries in a specific judging category. If you wish to both donate a prize AND enter the contest, I would encourage you to donate the prize anonymously or through a third party, to avoid any appearance of bias.
    JUDGING
    To keep things simple, I will be the only judge for this contest. (That means I'm also the only one to blame!)
    I will visit each dimension entered in the contest. I will notify each entrant by private message on these forums when I will visit. If you would like to be present during my visit, please provide a time window in your entry and I will make every effort to schedule my visit during that window. (My play times are very flexible.) I may return to your dimension again at any time to review it.
    The entry that receives the highest combined score in the following categories will be the winner:
    1. Use of fished-up items (up to 100 points)
      I'm especially interested in how players use fished-up items in their dimensions. I will award up to 100 points based on the proportion of items in the dimension that came from fishing. For example, if 25% of the items in the dimension are fished-up, I will award 25 points. (I have a small Lua script that lets me calculate this, so it will be accurate.)
    2. Use of dimension space (up to 100 points)
      Every dimension has its quirks. I'm interested in how well you integrate your build with the existing space, or alternatively, work around the space to transform it into something completely different. Your entry may use either approach or both.
    3. Element of surprise (up to 50 points)
      I love surprises. They can be grand reveals or just unexpected details. I'll make notes during my visits of how many times your entry surprises me.
    4. Confounding factor (up to 50 points)
      I'm not an expert at building dimensions. The more often your entry makes me think, "How did they do that?" the more points I will award.
    5. Overall impression (up to 100 points)
      During my visit, I will also go the location featured in your screenshot. (Or if you're present during my visit, you can guide me to that location.) The scene can be grandiose or subtle, wide-open or intimate. What's important is that it showcases the overall feel you want visitors to get from your dimension.
    Things that will immediately disqualify your entry:
    1. Using more than a total of five non-crafted or non-fished-up items.
      (No cheating! My Lua script will verify this.)
    Except for the winner(s), I will not publish the scores of any entries. If you would like to know how I scored your own entry, please send me a private message on these forums after the contest has ended.
    DEADLINES
    1. Your entry must be posted to this thread before noon, U.S. Pacific Time, on Friday, November 15, 2013.
    2. Your entry must allow the public to visit until at least noon, U.S. Pacific Time, on Monday, November 25, 2013. (I may schedule my visit any time after your entry and before this deadline.)
    3. I will contact the winner(s) by private message on these forums after noon, U.S. Pacific Time, on Monday, November 25, 2013 and the winner(s) must respond before noon, U.S. Pacific Time, on Wednesday, November 27, 2013.
    4. I will announce the winner(s) in this thread after they respond to me.
    DISCLAIMERS
    This is my first time running a contest. I will do my best to judge every entry fairly, but please understand that most of the criteria are subjective. In the unlikely event there are a few too many entries for me to judge in the time provided, I may choose to extend the deadlines. In the even more unlikely event there are too many entries for one human being to judge in any reasonable amount of time, I may choose a winner randomly (using random.org) from all eligible entries. My decisions are final.
    HOW TO ENTER
    Reply to this post with the following information:
    1. Shard name:
    2. Character name:
    3. Dimension name:
    4. (Optional) Best days and times to visit: (Please include your time zone.)
    5. Names of up to five non-crafted or non-fished-up items used:
    6. One screenshot that best illustrates the overall feel of your dimension:
    Last edited by Fredelas; 09-09-2013 at 08:44 PM.

Telaran

This one sounds like a lot of fun. I'll have to try and think of ways to craft things for the dim I've been planning. Awesome idea though.

Rift Disciple

Definatly an interresting contest

Guess i should go back to do some fishing and see what i can come up with

oohhh another one to get the brain cells firing on all cylinders.........

Dont forget to post the competition on the Riftscene Forums mate.......
    Last edited by Leyanyar; 09-11-2013 at 05:44 AM.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Leyanyar View Post
    oohhh another one to get the brain cells firing on all cylinders.........

Dont forget to post the competition on the Riftscene Forums mate.......
    Please feel free to post about the competition elsewhere. However, I'd like to keep my own interaction in this forum thread, to make sure all questions or comments can be addressed in one place.

And just in time for this competition, fished-up items are no longer bound!
    Last edited by Fredelas; 09-11-2013 at 08:25 AM.

Default I notice that not many people have entered yet...

Interesting contest. I'll try and make a dim to enter, but i can't guarantee with your time limit.

Edit: Misread the time limit. With an entire month, i should be able to create something suitably devious. MUHUAHAHAHAH!!!
    Last edited by Zelurk; 09-11-2013 at 10:37 AM.

I have copied your lead in post Fredelas and will cross post it on RiftScene.com Forums

Rift Disciple

Very challenging Contest, working on mine right now

Default My entery

Shard: Laethys
    Character Name: Zenakh
    Dimension: Defiler's Sandbox
    Non fished/non crafted items used
    Death Sky Projector
    Iron Pine Peak Music Box
    Death Spine Group
    Camping Tent
    Diravoss Statue

Dimension Contest: Win a Toxic Hellbug mount and pet!-2013-09-15_132139.jpg

...Well, this is the dimension i've made. It has a few concepts i've been wanting to have a go at for a long time, but the 5 non-craft/fish item limit is rather restrictive, but still enough to allow me to work some evil, evil magic. Also, look up. (if there is any problem, specifically one concerning rules, send me a message thro forums or pm me in game. My main is Zenakh atm.)
    Zenahk@Laethys

RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar

Will the new item drops have any effect on this?
    Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel

Baradara@Greybriar

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Feendish View Post
    Will the new item drops have any effect on this?
    No, I won't be revising the rules for this contest, since someone has already entered. (Also because without a definitive list of world-drop items yet,it's impossible for me to count them accurately.)

Players can feel free to include any of the new world-drop items as part of their 5 total non-crafted or non-fished-up items, though.

Perhaps someone else would like to start a different contest featuring the new world-drop dimension items.

Bump

Sorta disappointing mine is the only entry at this point. I wana see more entries! Even though mine probably won't be winning if more people join.
    Zenahk@Laethys

It takes time to fish up the items needed for an exclusive build like this. Yes, most of us hoard those items but if RNG hasn't been kind (I'm looking at you, lacey elven tables), it can take a while.
    The Road Less Traveled, Hypnotique, Hero's Quest: Belly of the Beast, Avalon, Doubleohhseven's Avatar v2.0, Promenade Penthouse, Hero's Quest: Sleeping Beauty, Mabhe's Quadradream, Everwinter, Karthan Paradise, Halls of Intoxication, Court of Shadows, Dreamscapes, Lost in Wonderland, Hero’s Quest: Hidden Canyon, Bywater, Sanguine Summer
    Greybriar Dimension Geek

What a great idea!

I love that this could be entered by those that could be new or just starting to get the hang of "dimming". I also like that I will have to do a lot more thinking in order to come up with uses for all the extra stuff I have in my storage dim

Well done!

RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar

Thank you for sponsoring this very challenging contest. What I wouldn't have given to be able to use some plain wooden planks. It really is amazing how much we rely on vendor items.

Shard: Greybriar
    Character: Baradara
    Dimension: Winter's Night Retreat

Non-fished/non-crafted Items:
    Death Sky Projector
    Goblin Brazier x 2
    Elegantly-Styled Vase x 2

Dimension Contest: Win a Toxic Hellbug mount and pet!-2013-09-25_200759.jpg
    Last edited by Feendish; 09-25-2013 at 05:17 PM.
    Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel

Baradara@Greybriar

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast