+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Fredelas
  • 3 Post By Zyonyx
  • 2 Post By Feendish

Thread: Mocking-up dimensions outside RIFT

Plane Touched

Default Mocking-up dimensions outside RIFT

Does anyone else model dimensions outside RIFT in a program like Google SketchUp or Blender?

I like doing this because I can get a better overview of the space I have to work with. I can also model things in larger chunks before deciding how I might break them down into something I can create in the game.

This has made purchasing dimension items much easier for me, because I have a better idea what I'll need going into a build.

I haven't attempted to recreate the actual world objects in the dimensions, due to their complexity. But I do block out their rough shapes, the terrain, and the enclosing green walls.

Plane Touched

I know people who use a multitude of things, for me I don't. I typically just decide on an idea and sorta build it in my head first until I have a solid plan. It works for me most of the time but more than once I've been a quarter the way into a project before doing a big change.

I may look into one of those programs just to sate my curiosity though!
    "What is the difference between a "great man" and a "hero"?
    A great man fights until he falls
    A hero gets back up"

I usually start out with a rough idea of the overall look and feel of the dimension, and then let ideas come to me as I build. There really isn't a whole lot of forethought in the process. About the only previs I do is using the old, cheap building blocks in place of their more expensive counterparts when testing out something. That way I only end up buying what I need (unless another idea hits me in the middle of that one and I go off in another direction... which tends to happen a LOT ).

I think the closest I ever came to having an actual game plan was during the WoW build. I ended up with hundreds of screenshots from every angle I could think of to make sure I was getting it as close as possible.

I guess the overall message I'm trying to convey is: "Subject to change without notice" is a valid warning when I'm building.

RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar

I've made rough (very rough, because I can't draw a straight line) sketches of ideas to get a general idea of how I want things to look, and I reference a lot of pictures when making things based off real life buildings or things, but I've never used any external application to map out my dimensions because I generally don't put that much planning into them. You have a good idea, though, and if it works for your style of building, then all to the good!
    Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel

Baradara@Greybriar

RIFT Fan Site Operator

I haven't done this before as the items themselves & the light mold my Dims. I would perhaps if building with others though I didn't last time and have seen some pretty in-depth plans especially by Hecateria & Rubeyrose. I'll chat to them next time I see them online to remember exactly what they used.

I've never used anything outside the game except for reference photos if I'm unsure of how something looks, or looking for new styles.

It's a pretty intriguing idea though. If I knew how to use those programs, I'd probably play around with it. Although, then I probably wouldn't play Rift as much, because I'd get sucked into just creating stuff in those programs ;)
    Lils@Greybriar

65 Rogue/Dimension Addict

+ Reply to Thread