+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Feendish

Thread: Faen's Retreat vs. Dormant Core

Shadowlander

Default Faen's Retreat vs. Dormant Core

Hi everyone
    I'm sorry I keep posting silly questions, but I'm finally getting into dimensions really and so many things keep coming to mind!

So, my question (opinion question really): In terms of aesthetics/buildibility (is that a word?), which do you all like the best: Faen's Retreat or Dormant Core? I have a nice build idea for each of the spaces, and can not decide which one to start on first. This would be my first build, so I'm still learning the tricks of placing items, but I can get better as I go along. I know Dormant Core is absolutely huge, and holds a lot of potential for a fun build. But it also requires a lot more effort and resources to fill it properly. I happened to buy some random dimension boxes, and got quite a few "exotic" plants that would work well in the core, but I'm still not sure it's the easiest for someone just starting. (My other thought was a "practice" build in the starter home to get the feel for things).

It's a bit of a vague, open-ended question, I know, but it's nagging at me badly and I didn't know where else to ask :P Any opinions, thoughts, stray ideas are appreciated!

**Side note: Does anyone know if they buffed the random dimension boxes? I know several people said they weren't worth purchasing, but I gave it a gamble and ended up with only about 7 rocks out of the 11 boxes, 2 purple items and the orange quality Magitech Orrery.**

IMO, the challenge with Dormant Core is managing the space and the challenge with Faen's is managing the terrain. Both are pretty huge for first builds so having a theme/concept will help. In terms of mystery boxes, they are a gamble; some folks are luckier than others.
    The Road Less Traveled, Hypnotique, Hero's Quest: Belly of the Beast, Avalon, Doubleohhseven's Avatar v2.0, Promenade Penthouse, Hero's Quest: Sleeping Beauty, Mabhe's Quadradream, Everwinter, Karthan Paradise, Halls of Intoxication, Court of Shadows, Dreamscapes, Lost in Wonderland, Hero’s Quest: Hidden Canyon, Bywater, Sanguine Summer
    Greybriar Dimension Geek

I personally would start with a smaller dimension, in your case Faen's, for a couple reasons. First is plat/credit budget, fewer items means less spending to fill the dimension and it really helps to get something done before tackling a huge project. The other is item count budget, you may think with thousands of item slots you could never run out of room but if you're not careful you could blow it all on one highly detailed building leaving the rest of the dimension empty. A smaller dimension would be easier to keep the balance of space vs. items.

Good luck! I can't wait to see what you do

Shadowlander

That makes sense And I do have some pretty solid ideas for both dimensions, but Faen's Retreat was the first one to inspire me, so I will start with that one. Now I need rocks....lots of rocks. :P

RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar

Faen's Retreat is also deceptive in its appearance of size. The ceiling of Faen's is quite high, and available space is considerable at the upper reaches. Terrain (the lumps, bumps, ugly trees and mud hut) is the primary difficulty with Faen's, in my opinion. Faen's Retreat is also a very versatile dimension. At one time, I had four of them active.

As far as construction goes, I think Faen's is very much the more affordable alternative, in both item count and plat/credit costs.
    Last edited by Feendish; 08-30-2013 at 11:49 AM.
    Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel

Baradara@Greybriar

+ Reply to Thread