• 1 Post By Zyonyx
  • 2 Post By Akhor
  • 1 Post By Caelthas
  • 1 Post By Maddori
  • 1 Post By Jaedor

Thread: Moonshade Pools vs Threesprings

Rift Disciple

Default Moonshade Pools vs Threesprings

I am not sure what the difference is between the two dimensions...they seem the same to me. Once you teleport past the initial green barrier they seem to cover the same area and have the same stuff. Anyone able to tell me what the differences are....beside starting point I mean...because again, once you go past the green barrier it seems the two dimensions are the same.

Hmm...Have you actually been to a Three Springs Dim? Differences just off the top of my head are:

Large 2 story house
    Flat building area with stone grounding
    A water well
    A stone archway
    A long stone staircase to get to the lower level
    A waterfall with river
    A pier with a boat
    A swimmable bay with underwater foliage

Not sure what you are seeing as being the same, really...
    Eightnine - Greybriar - @eightyninegames
    "Dock 89"-Greybriar - TRION Three Springs Contest Winner
    "Villa 89"-Greybriar - TRION Official "Villa 89" Trailer http://youtu.be/IxYJUVfpkKE
    "Arena 89"-Greybriar - Grandmaster Architect Of Arenas 2013 Winner

RIFT Fan Site Operator Tamarama's Avatar

If you are stepping outside the green barrier, there probably is no difference.

That is using the dimensions in a way they aren't meant to be used though. The safety and permanence of items placed beyond the barriers is not guaranteed, so you do that at your own risk.

Better Homes and Dimensions - A blog just for Dimensions.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashkevron View Post
    I am not sure what the difference is between the two dimensions...they seem the same to me. Once you teleport past the initial green barrier they seem to cover the same area and have the same stuff. Anyone able to tell me what the differences are....beside starting point I mean...because again, once you go past the green barrier it seems the two dimensions are the same.
    Although there are a couple of ways around it, you're technically not supposed to be able to pass beyond the barrier. The only reason you're seeing both is because the areas are adjacent to each other out in the game world. Purchasing one of the two and building beyond the green wall risks losing any items placed there, and limits what your visitors can see based upon a particular class mechanic.

If you want to build in an open area with some pools, go for Moonshade Pools. If you want a similar area with a prefab building, go with Three Springs. Or just go totally crazy and buy both for s***s and giggles.

Rift Disciple

ah see I didn't know that, I thought it was perfectly okay to go past the green barrier, and certainly didn't know I could lose some of the stuff.

Okay so I am off to visit both areas again and stay inside the green and see which gives me the most water and the buildings I want. Thanks for nearly all the responses.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashkevron View Post
    ah see I didn't know that, I thought it was perfectly okay to go past the green barrier, and certainly didn't know I could lose some of the stuff.

Okay so I am off to visit both areas again and stay inside the green and see which gives me the most water and the buildings I want. Thanks for nearly all the responses.
    Three Springs seems like it gives you more deep water, where Moonshade Pools has the three small, shallow ponds (deep and shallow, in this case, meaning water deep enough to swim in versus walking in). If you're looking for lots of deep water, try Shoreward Island instead.

RIFT Fan Site Operator

Threesprings was meant to arrive before 2.3 and was anticipated by us all who were playing then because of the large building-there was nothing like it outside a guild dimension and stone flask. It was also exciting because many of us LOVE Moonshade Pools but there were a lot of sad faces having no building - it was an item count dream come true.

Since 2.3 and all the buildings/pre-fabs it lost its major draw point BUT its still a popular choice and one guilds are drawing to more. I love getting to enjoy that most amazing sky twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyonyx View Post
    Or just go totally crazy and buy both for s***s and giggles.
    Which is what I am starting to think I may have to do.. sigh. It always looks cooler on the *other* side of the green wall...
    Come and knock on my door...
    Elvenhome (Totally NOT a dragoncult) | Nestle Down

Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time. - Marthe Troly-Curtin, 1912

Plane Touched

I'd love an explanation of the green wall. I don't quite understand it's purpose as building inside of it or outside of it affects your item count the same. And eventually for those seeking to find out you will come across an invisible wall such as you'd find when you reach the end of the game map. Maybe there was one given between the time I quit and dimensions returned but alas I have not found it or learned of the reason.
    "What is the difference between a "great man" and a "hero"?
    A great man fights until he falls
    A hero gets back up"

Champion

The green barrier is completely silly. Yet another artificial limitation imposed by the Devs to hinder our gameplay.

It's as silly as 400, 500, and 600 plat trees.

Like a Dimensioneer is going to spend that much for items! 99% of Dimensioneers can barely afford multiple 1-5 plat items.

Both the green barrier and the insanely overpriced items really comes down to the disconnect between real players actually playing, and the Rift Devs. They think in the fantasy world they live in, they can get Dimensioneers to pay 100s of credits for 1 item from the Rift Store.

If they ever came back to earth they might realize that 'nickle-and-diming' players is about 100s of 1-3 credit items.... *NOT* one or two 300-600 credit items.

If they ever built an actual dimension, they'd realize green barriers serve no tangible purpose other than to just annoy players.

I would argue that some sort of barrier is needed for a couple of reasons.

- We have no idea how much it costs in time or money to create and store all of the data dimensions require, or the technical limitations of doing so. Each player can create 10 dimensions per character on any given shard. And if they have 6 characters on that shard, that's 60 dimensions. Now multiply that by how many people like to build, or do the above across several different shards, and that's a lot of unique dimensions to store and process.

- The item count needed to fill up larger areas would likely be astronomical, and some players have already reported issues with the game becoming "glitchy" when building at the upper levels of the current limits. Not to mention that you might be able to make something unique and interesting with 2000 items in Moonshade Pools, but those 2000 items would get swallowed up by the scenery were you to build all across Moonshade Highlands.

If you make dimensions too large, they cease to be a form of player housing and start becoming player versions of the entire game world. And while I'm sure some of us would find that appealing, I just don't think it would be very feasible.

The aesthetics of the green barrier is another thing entirely. It's definitely an eyesore when you get too close to it, but some people have put it to good use. For instance, there's an "underwater" dimension on Shatterbone that uses the barrier to its advantage, adding to the illusion that you're really beneath the ocean's surface rather than on the dry land of Warden's Point.

I agree that using a green shimmery wall as a border is annoying, I tend to keep my builds as far away from it as possible. If there was some other way to block us in that didn't ruin our views I would love that, or even the ability to toggle the appearance of the green wall on or off.

However, the green wall is there for a reason. The space within is where we are intended to build. Yes there are chunks of land outside it that may look tempting to build on, but those chunks are supposed to be our background scenery. Imagine having Moonshade pools with the map just cut off at the border, you may as well just treat it as an interior because there would be no reason to have windows or balconies. One of the appeals of the Moonshade dimensions is the gorgeous views you can have for your setting, but it doesn't mean Trion intends us to use the entire block of land for building.

I'd been toying with the idea of a build having a tunnel to an underground vault, and using the green barrier as a magical barrier along the tunnel path. One that would require teleporting through to access the vault.

Haven't gotten around to it.

*If* prices *keep* moving in the right direction, I just might one day.

The green barrier does sometimes affect your items that are placed outside of them. The effects for me have varied, depending on which dimension I'm building in. So far, I've had no issue with clipping items outside the barrier in Kestrel's, or Dolcega Valley. (mind you, these weren't elaborate structures I placed out there, just a few key landscaping pieces to fill in the gaps. Edge of Infinity, on the other hand, will plop any items I place outside the barrier, back inside once I leave the dimension and return.
    Those are the only three where I've messed around with it. So, just do so at your own risk if you plan on experimenting.
    Last edited by Maddori; 08-29-2013 at 01:47 PM. Reason: eye spel gud.
    Lils@Greybriar

65 Rogue/Dimension Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Maddori View Post
    The green barrier does sometimes affect your items that are placed outside of them. The effects for me have varied, depending on which dimension I'm building in. So far, I've had no issue with clipping items outside the barrier in Kestrel's, or Dolcega Valley. (mind you, these weren't elaborate structures I placed out there, just a few key landscaping pieces to fill in the gaps. Edge of Infinity, on the other hand, will plop any items I place outside the barrier, back inside once I leave the dimension and return.
    Those are the only three where I've messed around with it. So, just do so at your own risk if you plan on experimenting.
    Edge of Infinity will also give an error warning that you cannot move items outside the barrier. You can have them partially in and partially out but go too far out and the error will pop up. EoI is also the only dim where I've been unable to penetrate the barrier.
    The Road Less Traveled, Hypnotique, Hero's Quest: Belly of the Beast, Avalon, Doubleohhseven's Avatar v2.0, Promenade Penthouse, Hero's Quest: Sleeping Beauty, Mabhe's Quadradream, Everwinter, Karthan Paradise, Halls of Intoxication, Court of Shadows, Dreamscapes, Lost in Wonderland, Hero’s Quest: Hidden Canyon, Bywater, Sanguine Summer
    Greybriar Dimension Geek

+ Reply to Thread