+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Superhelix
  • 1 Post By Tamarama

Thread: Lighting Question

Soulwalker

Default Lighting Question

Hi, I'm building my first dim and having a hard time seeing inside of the building I'm decorating (Faen's). I found myself buying a bunch of cheap torches and placing them in an attempt to brighten the interior up enough to see if things are lining up.

Are there better lighting sources to use or tricks to see better? I run the game in windowed mode, which doesn't let me adjust gamma as a side note!

Thanks for any replies!

RIFT Fan Site Operator Tamarama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Toy Clown View Post
    Are there better lighting sources to use or tricks to see better? I run the game in windowed mode, which doesn't let me adjust gamma as a side note!

Thanks for any replies!
    I like the bogling lampposts or hanging gourds. While the light is slightly yellow, I find these two have a stronger lighting effect than torches or many other lamps.

I also bury them in objects to provide ambient lighting for a scene - their yellow glow makes it look more sunlighty. For a cooler, slightly bluer light, I use kelari lamps.
    Last edited by Tamarama; 08-23-2013 at 06:50 AM.

Better Homes and Dimensions - A blog just for Dimensions.

My favorite building light, and as the awesome Radish mentioned, is the Kelari Lamp. In my experience and opinion, I feel it gives the largest radius and most pure light of the lighting sources.
    Eightnine - Greybriar - @eightyninegames
    "Dock 89"-Greybriar - TRION Three Springs Contest Winner
    "Villa 89"-Greybriar - TRION Official "Villa 89" Trailer http://youtu.be/IxYJUVfpkKE
    "Arena 89"-Greybriar - Grandmaster Architect Of Arenas 2013 Winner

RIFT Fan Site Operator

I use the Conquest light projector you buy with 125k favor or 765 credits. I use this so it lights the whole dimension then I don't have to move it and isn't too glaring.

I gave away two this week over on Rift Scene Dimension forums. Maybe in the future I'll have more but the next mini comp will be something different to help stock supplies across NA Telara.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Superhelix View Post
    My favorite building light, and as the awesome Radish mentioned, is the Kelari Lamp. In my experience and opinion, I feel it gives the largest radius and most pure light of the lighting sources.
    Fan of the kelari lamps also. Nice and bright.
    Jaida: Rogue of Imperium on Zaviel

Dimension: Eden Blossom Cottage
    Dimension: The Venus Pool

RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar

For building in dark areas, the Conquest projector, hands down.

For accent lighting in completed dimensions, I like the Kelari Lamps and lately I've become a real fan of the Short Hanging Gourd lights (or the regular ones, but the short are easier to shrink down for backlighting which is my preferred lighting method). I'm also a fan of everglowing pagoda lanterns for a very warm glow that's a bit cheaper than the orange brevane hanging lights, though I do like in certain circumstances as well.
    Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel

Baradara@Greybriar

RIFT Fan Site Operator Tamarama's Avatar

So that's the secret behind your excellent lighting skills, Feendish? Whooo, the secret's out.

I'll have to remember the conquest projector trick. Halls of Shaping seriously needs a lot of light to work.
    Last edited by Tamarama; 08-23-2013 at 06:30 PM.

Better Homes and Dimensions - A blog just for Dimensions.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamarama View Post
    So that's the secret behind your excellent lighting skills, Feendish? Whooo, the secret's out.

I'll have to remember the conquest projector trick. Halls of Shaping seriously needs a lot of light to work.
    I'm not sure how effective a Conquest Projector will be in HoS, since it's an interior space. I don't think I ever tried one in BST's when we first started in there. But you are very right, it is dark in there, with the light blinding in certain areas and the corners pitch black.

Baradara@Greybriar

Soulwalker

I thank everyone for the replies, but as a newish player (highest level character is 46 now), much of what was listed seems to be really far out of reach for me at this time, with the Brevene lights being the easiest, but at 56plat a pop... that would take me several days of hunting to acquire one.

Thanks for the replies, I guess I'll stick it out with the candles and stuff until I can figure out where favor comes from, how to get enough faction together for Kelari lamps and... yeah. ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Toy Clown View Post
    I thank everyone for the replies, but as a newish player (highest level character is 46 now), much of what was listed seems to be really far out of reach for me at this time, with the Brevene lights being the easiest, but at 56plat a pop... that would take me several days of hunting to acquire one.

Thanks for the replies, I guess I'll stick it out with the candles and stuff until I can figure out where favor comes from, how to get enough faction together for Kelari lamps and... yeah. ^^
    The Kelari lamps might be your best option, since they are actually crafted by Artificers and can usually be found for a much more reasonable price than the vast majority of the lights on the store.

I don't think anyone realized when answering that you might not be level 60, and I do apologize for that. While you're levelling, once you hit SL zones, you should look into doing the Mother Nugger quest chains, as those will you access to a quartermaster upon completion that offers a variety of dimension items at very reasonable prices.

Baradara@Greybriar

Try just a regular hanging lamp, they're only 40g and move it with you to see what you're working on. You can stuff it in a lamp as well, but they do sway a little bit.

Shalistiri Mirage : The Light in the Dark : Camp Catari : Dwarven Ladies Club: RP - The Basilicini of Bahralt : Lycini Townhouse : Peter, Peter, Pumpkin Eater : The Paarrrrsing Deck : Fuji Dojo : Cherry Breeze Estate on Faeblight

I am also a fan of the gourd hanging lights. I have probably a hundred in my three springs dim, and with the water projector, the glow in the mist is wonderful. You can resize them to really small lights too. I was buying them off the AH (silly me) until I read about the Mother Nugg quest line that give you access to the quartermaster.

I think they would have to be my most versatile light at the moment

Bellarosa
    Laethys

+ Reply to Thread