+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Need help planning an anniversary challenge

Telaran

Default Need help planning an anniversary challenge

Hey all,

aspiring dimensionier here. My hubby and I love the housing in Rift and have even dabbled with a few dimensions here and there. We enjoy them so much that for our 11th anniversary, I came up with a challenge.

I'm not the kind of gal who cares for fancy outings. A night in with my guy and a fun movie is really all I need. That said, we like to share with one another and after looking at a dimension this past weekend that has a ton of references for Alice in Wonderland, I've been toying with this idea.

The rules are as follows:

- we each pick a story (either Labyrinth or Neverending Story because of how similar they tend to be--same genre if you will)
    - we use the same dimension zone, which would have to be mostly flat and open and have a large item allotment
    - both of our dimensions would be upgraded to tier 4-5 (depending on the dimension we pick) for the full item allotment
    - both dimensions will be set to private. We can't look at each other's creations until our anniversary on Sept. 9th. They don't have to be done, but we can't look at the other person's dimension until then.

More rules:

- we will each have a set amount of in-store credits as well as platinum to spend on this dimension. Everything else will have to be crafted by either one of us.
    - I will only work on my dimension when he works on his own. This way it's fair and I don't get a head start (since I work from home).
    - the use of addons such as toolbox and magic carpet are allowed as to make the creation process a bit faster.
    - neither one of us are allowed to use loyalty dimension items. This would be horribly unfair since my tier of loyalty is higher than his
    - any rep-related dimension items are off limits. This is especially true when it comes to the sky projectors. None of that.
    - crafting items as well as getting them from fishing dailies are allowed.
    - items may also be bought off the auction house with the purse of platinum we're both allowed to use.
    - we can discuss theories with one another such as 'what should I use for dragon whiskers?' or 'what dimension item can I use for the walls of the labyrinth?' This is allowed, we just can't physically see why the other person needs said items.

And here is where I need your help. I'm not only posting this here as a binding statement, but to also get some encouragement. Three weeks is not nearly enough time to finish a build like this, but hopefully it will be enough to put the bare bones into place.

All plans aside, I need an idea of what dimension we should use. It has to have a bit of flat ground and a good item allotment. I was thinking Moonshade, but I'm not sure if there are any others that may be more fitting.

We have a Dormant core, but it's a lot of open space. I would prefer these builds to fill in a dimension (use as much room as we can).

Anyone have any suggestions or see rules that should be added? I promise to post images once this is over. But I could use a bit of planning help if that's okay.

Thanks so much!

~Lunedera (threesprings)

RIFT Fan Site Operator

I am happy to help make your anniversary special.

We have a community Ventrilo (up there on under the resources sticky) we can chat on and I have almost every dimension for your perusal if you make a level 1 on Deepwood though you could look on your shard I'm sure but checking public all time or weekly.

Special occasions make me giggly excited. Happy Anniversary in advance.

Telaran

Thank you. Sadly, I don't have vent, and I gave my headset to my little sister-in-law

I'm happy to tour deepwood though. What dimensions should I look for?

RIFT Fan Site Operator

Anything with Kiwi in it some I have closed so give me a yell I'll invite you to group

Kiwimidget@Deepwood

Telaran

I'll be having dinner soon, but I'll try to send you a tell later tonight. We may have a movie night to get ideas

I think you guys should work on a dim together. Maybe bring to life in a dimension where you guys met, or your favorite date, or perhaps a place you'd love to both go together or do together and have on a bucket list of some kind.

Sharing that with each other and the community would be super sweet Thats just me though.

For your idea specifically I would use moonshade if you want a larger dim, or something simple and sweet like fortune shore which still has the wooded fantasy theme and can easily be done in three weeks without spending too much plat and you'll be guaranteed to fill the whole thing if you go max items. I've seen peeps get really creative with those small dims and I find them better for shorter contests specially if you have other projects going on too.
    Last edited by Xenoheart; 08-21-2013 at 12:54 PM.
    Xenohart
    http://www.fractureguild.enjin.com/ | twitch.tv/xenohartgaming
    4/4 TDQ | 4/4 FT | 5/5 EE | 4/4 GA | 3/3 IG | 4/5 PB | 2/4 BOB 4/4 minis
    I just make it look easy sometimes. ~Daglar

Telaran

Xeno, no worries on sharing a dim vs. our own. We have a few we're working on together including our Dormant Core, one Moonshade where we have treehouses as well as a stoneflask tavern.

This is for fun. I've been wanting to do a contest/challenge with him for a while.

Hmm, never looked at Fortune Shore. I may have to give it a look. Thanks

What a adorable idea hehe love it.

This sounds great! My hubby and I just celebrated our tenth, so happy anniversary to you guys as well Moonshade is a great, large dimension with a very clean slate for building so I definitely recommend that. I'm really looking forward to seeing what you both come up with, and just maybe if I show my hubby he'll be willing to try a similar challenge

Telaran

You should give it a shot. Happy anniversary to you as well

Funnily enough, we both liked both ideas equally, so it was a literal coin toss to see who got what.

I have Neverending Story and he has the Labyrinth. Should be interesting

Oh, I did notice something in the AH. The sky projectors don't say 'requires X notoriety.' So I'm assuming that only applies to purchasing them from the rift store?

If so, then we can use projectors no problem. I have no idea which colors are which though.

For example, the sky that's starry with the big purple moon, which projector is that?

Telaran

I wanted to drop in with a short update. So far, I've restarted my dim two times. Hubby has started over one time.

That said, I thought I was getting somewhere, and while I like parts of my dim, I'm also feeling a bit frustrated and discouraged.

I wrestled with the idea of making my dim with characters in the book vs. going all out and doing Fantasia whatever justice I can by recreating the tower as well as where the child-like empress was.

So, I've been working on Fantasia. The only problem is that in the movie, the tower is a cylinder and the platforms are round. I've tried the pools of red wine, but they have no bottoms, which means I'll be doing the platforms from scratch (which is fine).

The thing that has me discouraged right now is the outside. I've only done the tower part and haven't gotten to the platforms. The tower is made out of hundreds (no lie) of limestone posts. This was the best I could come up with so it's actually a cylinder.

Only issue is that it isn't terribly attractive. I'm worried visitors will come in, put their noses up at it without going to see what's inside, then leave.

I'm going to try and make it look more whimsical (instead of how depressing it looked in the story). I guess I just needed to vent. I'm excited about future parts, I just keep judging my work to others (a bad habit of mine).
    Last edited by Lunedera; 08-25-2013 at 12:26 PM.

RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lunedera View Post
    I wanted to drop in with a short update. So far, I've restarted my dim two times. Hubby has started over one time.

That said, I thought I was getting somewhere, and while I like parts of my dim, I'm also feeling a bit frustrated and discouraged.

I wrestled with the idea of making my dim with characters in the book vs. going all out and doing Fantasia whatever justice I can by recreating the tower as well as where the child-like empress was.

So, I've been working on Fantasia. The only problem is that in the movie, the tower is a cylinder and the platforms are round. I've tried the pools of red wine, but they have no bottoms, which means I'll be doing the platforms from scratch (which is fine).

The thing that has me discouraged right now is the outside. I've only done the tower part and haven't gotten to the platforms. The tower is made out of hundreds (no lie) of limestone posts. This was the best I could come up with so it's actually a cylinder.

Only issue is that is isn't terribly attractive. I'm worried visitors will come in, put their noses up at it without going to see what's inside, then leave.

I'm going to try and make it look more whimsical (instead of how depressing it looked in the story). I guess I just needed to vent. I'm excited about future parts, I just keep judging my work to others (a bad habit of mine).
    We're each of us our own worst critics. Don't get discouraged, I'm sure Fantasia will look stunning.

Happy anniversary.
    Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel

Baradara@Greybriar

Telaran

Thank you

I think another issue I'll have to deal with is that I'm not using 80% of moonshade. If I had more items to use, I'll branch out, but I figure going all out on one things is better than doing multiple and not being able to finish them.

Telaran

Been struggling with Fantasia all week. A few days ago, I let hubby see what I had because I couldn't figure it out on my own. I then showed him what my first try looked like, which was a lot better.

So, I started over a third time, but I'm hitting the same roadblock as before regarding the towers.

Because I'm hitting so many snags on this one, hubby suggested I pick another story. At first he suggested Princess Bride and focus on the fire swamp (ROUSes anyone?) but today, it came to me.

I'll be tearing stuff down to try and see if I can do the Junglebook, or more specifically, the ruins from it.

One thing this challenge has made me realize is how hard making characters is. So, I'll focus on settings instead, then move up from there if I have time/space.

Seeing as we kind of goofed on our challenge, I suppose me continuing can be on my time. I saw his dim (he said it was only fair). It looks so good! It isn't quite ready for visitors yet. He's trying to plan out the underground cleaner scene. As for the Labyrinth itself, it's awesome.

Hello everyone, this is Lunedera's hubby. I just made my side of this Anniversary event public. I'm not quite finished yet, but would like to share what I have so far. Look for Tranori on Three Springs to take a look.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast