+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Dimension Toolbox

Default Dimension Toolbox

I've been having some problems with the addon Dimension Toolbox the last few days. I've been placing a bunch of the Black Marble tiles and while the addon is active it randomly selects some of these tiles. While in edit mode and moving around the tile selected randomly changes and it only these type tiles that get selected. No other item in the Dim gets selected. Most the time the tiles selected are quite far away and I made sure I wasn't clicking anything and some of the time the tiles are behind me when they get selected. Usually when this happens the CPU usage of the addon jumps from around 3% to 30% or greater, and the frame rate drops under 10. I tried deleting the addon and re-installing, but the problem soon returned. Anyone else seen this?

Oh wow, I thought I was having problems with my mouse because I've been having this problem since the last patch. I've had to redo so many items when it jumps to something else in the middle of a move... >.<
    Thorin's Halls, Lost Cavern, The Road Less Traveled, Hypnotique, Avalon, Hero's Quest: Belly of the Beast, Avatar v2.0, Promenade Penthouse, Hero's Quest: Sleeping Beauty, Quadradream, Everwinter, Karthan Paradise, Halls of Intoxication, Court of Shadows, Dreamscapes, Lost in Wonderland, Hero’s Quest: Hidden Canyon, Bywater, Sanguine Summer Greybriar Dimension Geek

This happens to me quite often once I hit a high item count in a dimension. Seems like the more items in the dimension the worse it gets.The only difference is, it doesn't limit it to black marble tiles. It seems to randomly target any of the same item in the dimension as what I previously had selected. For example, if the last item I placed was a metal pole, then that's the item type it will randomly select throughout the zone.

As far as I know this is a common problem, as a lot of builders I talk with in game experience similar issues. A few things I have found to help: limit character movement while in the process of editing with toolbox open, close the Rift UI edit mode when not actively using it, and close toolbox when moving any considerable distance in your dimension.

I know those are not good enough fixes, but they may help you alleviate some issues until something is worked out.
    Last edited by Maddori; 08-13-2013 at 12:32 PM.
    Lils@Greybriar

65 Rogue/Dimension Addict

Telaran

I haven't had that issue speciafically but a issue I have noticed is somtimes it refuses to put an item at a specific combination of yaw, roll, and and pitch.

For example, if I tell it to go 0 -45 45 it would instead do 0 -45 44.9354

I also have the random item target with toolbox
    http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90809&dateline=137690  0590

I don't know why Trion doesn't look over the code, tweak it to work with the newer version of the game, and put it in their own interface. Hell, most of the work's already been done.

RIFT Fan Site Operator

Not everyone uses toolbox I have no desire to turn my creative space into a numbers explosion I save that for raiding and theory crafting - developers offer the base. The same goes for the likes of KBM not everyone cares about half the stuff on it either or Karuu Alert - they are called add ons for a reason.
    Last edited by Kiwi; 08-13-2013 at 06:59 PM.

At some point Anahera they added a copy and paste feature to the addon which minimizes the use of typing any numbers. You can pick and choose which of the coordinates you want to copy from one item and then paste them on other items with out any typing of any numbers. So you can make accurate lines fasts.

RIFT Fan Site Operator

I know I just do not want calculations and equations to be "essential" to my dimension experience because then I lose what I enjoy most and that's being able to build according to light and colour not axis and degree. Dimensions also lag enough without us adding to much more to them at any end of the development scale /shudders @ lag monster.
    Last edited by Kiwi; 08-13-2013 at 10:52 PM.

I've never used a toolbox, having too much fun placing the item in the right spot, from all angles, regardless of numbers... not sure if you can call it old fashion since dimensions are not old to begin, I just like it simple.
    I Rift, therefore I am.

I've built with and without toolbox, and have to say the amount of time and headaches it saves me, far outway the bugginess of it. To each their own though.

Just because some refuse to use it doesn't mean it's bad or that we shouldn't be able to ask for it to be fixed/updated ;)
    Lils@Greybriar

65 Rogue/Dimension Addict

RIFT Fan Site Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Maddori View Post
    Just because some refuse to use it doesn't mean it's bad or that we shouldn't be able to ask for it to be fixed/updated ;)
    There is no refusal here just a preference and I think you missed the part where someone wants it installed as an actual dimension feature....
    Last edited by Kiwi; 08-14-2013 at 01:17 AM.

RIFT Fan Site Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Zyonyx View Post
    I don't know why Trion doesn't look over the code, tweak it to work with the newer version of the game, and put it in their own interface. Hell, most of the work's already been done.
    For you Lils from our good friend and you are probably referring to Wonks comment so feel free to give me cawfee :P
    Last edited by Kiwi; 08-14-2013 at 01:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anahera View Post
    Not everyone uses toolbox I have no desire to turn my creative space into a numbers explosion I save that for raiding and theory crafting - developers offer the base. The same goes for the likes of KBM not everyone cares about half the stuff on it either or Karuu Alert - they are called add ons for a reason.
    The drawback to addons is that they, or their creators, may become unavailable or unreliable at any given time. I don't mean that as a stab at the people who create them, either. But real life happens, and some very useful tools can become lost along the way if, for whatever reason, the creators decide to leave the game. What I'm proposing is having it become a part of the game itself so that it remains up-to-date and constant.

I was picturing it as being the standard interface with a toggle for advanced settings that, when checked, would open a separate menu. That way you have the standard controls with an option for tweaking. The best of both worlds, as it were.

Out of curiosity, what would be your stance on it had Trion incorporated something like Toolbox into the interface from the start? If the option to enter precise coordinates and copy/paste objects had been standard issue?

RIFT Fan Site Operator

I'd say I'd be raiding more cause I'd be crashing as much which is why I don't raid :P but honestly I don't really deal in what if's rabbit holes are for rabbits....
    Last edited by Kiwi; 08-14-2013 at 02:26 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast