Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Xija
  • 1 Post By Maddori
  • 1 Post By Lostcode
  • 1 Post By Agrona77
  • 2 Post By Geriko
  • 1 Post By Kiwi
  • 1 Post By Jaedor

Thread: Best flat rocks for building a house on?

Soulwalker

Default Best flat rocks for building a house on?

I apologize if something like this has already been posted somewhere!

I am currently trying to build a ledge at the top of the Stone Flask Tavern dimension that can have houses and things on it. So far all of the rocks that I've found have been really bumpy and uneven, but I know I've seen people build relatively smooth platforms. I just can't figure out what they use and since the bigger rocks are pretty pricey I was wondering if anyone had any advice for what I should try.

Nobel Badgers on Faeblight used some sort of mossy rock over the water in the back of the house to create ground. It was fairly even from what I remember. I am not sure if they scale large enough to create ledge although.

Soulwalker

Hmm, I will have to try out some mossy rocks. I don't mind having to fit a bunch together to make something relatively smooth... it's just that all the ones I was trying (like the big outcroppings) were super bumpy lol. Thanks for the suggestion!

Mossy boulders are relatively flat. It won't be perfectly so, but you can line them up pretty evenly. They are a bit thick though, so be prepared to use a lot on a smaller size scale if that's going to be an issue.
    Lils@Greybriar

65 Rogue/Dimension Addict

also the ashora rock towers have a pretty level surface if you don't mind the sand topping

Yes, mossy boulders, but you have to turn them around and use the "bottom" with is pretty flat.

You need rep to buy the Ashora rocks I think. So, try the mossy boulder. They are cheaper, too. ;)

Plane Touched

You can get the Ashora Rectangular Mountainside from either the AH or sometimes in the Dimension Packs.

It's huge and it does have some quite flat surfaces, I'm literally using three of them to build in the bloody sky of Moonshade Pools and it's satisfactory for me right now. I also think there are some vertical Droughtland rocks that are on the small side but do offer a overall smooth surface.
    "What is the difference between a "great man" and a "hero"?
    A great man fights until he falls
    A hero gets back up"

RIFT Fan Site Operator

I like the mineral pools or terrace ponds flipped because of how big they expand and the rock appearance they give.

Also, Mossy Outcropping scales to pretty ginormous size if you are looking to cover a lot of terrain. You'd have to calculate the cost of one outcropping against the cost of 8 or so boulders and your item count. And I think BaraFeen mentioned once that it took 50 mossy boulders to cover the ground in Faen's if you want some idea of the coverage you can get. (Hopefully BaraFeen will correct this if I remembered the number wrong.)
    Thorin's Halls, Lost Cavern, The Road Less Traveled, Hypnotique, Avalon, Hero's Quest: Belly of the Beast, Avatar v2.0, Promenade Penthouse, Hero's Quest: Sleeping Beauty, Quadradream, Everwinter, Karthan Paradise, Halls of Intoxication, Court of Shadows, Dreamscapes, Lost in Wonderland, Hero’s Quest: Hidden Canyon, Bywater, Sanguine Summer Greybriar Dimension Geek

RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jaedor View Post
    Also, Mossy Outcropping scales to pretty ginormous size if you are looking to cover a lot of terrain. You'd have to calculate the cost of one outcropping against the cost of 8 or so boulders and your item count. And I think BaraFeen mentioned once that it took 50 mossy boulders to cover the ground in Faen's if you want some idea of the coverage you can get. (Hopefully BaraFeen will correct this if I remembered the number wrong.)
    No, that's about right. Mossy boulders at max size and turned upside down do make a really good flat surface, but it does take quite a few to cover terrain of real size.

However, in Black Flower Shrine, I used Mossy Outcroppings, also turned upside down for the dark mossy side, then wrestled with them until they were nearly perfectly flat. Since I wanted the appearance of a manicured lawn, I used a couple more than were really necessary to get rid of the seams, but it still took about 6 to cover the entire area that I wanted to cover over the lower platform of Edge of Infinity, with overlap. The Outcroppings when flat make a triangle, and that doesn't help cover mass territory.
    Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel

Baradara@Greybriar

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Feendish View Post
    No, that's about right. Mossy boulders at max size and turned upside down do make a really good flat surface, but it does take quite a few to cover terrain of real size.
    Indeed it does. It takes 350 or so to cover something the size of, say, the hole in Dormant Core...

But, they work very well, as long as you remember to flip them over. The "bottom" is the best part for flatness by far.

Plane Touched

I'm building a cavern/cave system dim for a friend using Dormant Core. I used 3 or 4 of the Ashora Mountains. (Think two were rectangular and the last was blocky) Not the cheapest of rocks I think combined it ran me up around 120plat for the trio of them but it saved me a ton of room.
    "What is the difference between a "great man" and a "hero"?
    A great man fights until he falls
    A hero gets back up"

+ Reply to Thread