+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: New here, simple question..

Default New here, simple question..

What's the main benefit of a dimension? To be a resting point?
    "There are two sorts of people. The players, and the pieces.." - Peytr Baelish

To be a creative outlet where you make your own fun.

But if you're not interested in that, currently a resting point or way to compete for prizes. They are also working on other ways to make them more interactive, especially for pvpers, but we don't have the details on that yet.
    Lils@Greybriar

65 Rogue/Dimension Addict

I find dimensions to be a nice change from the daily grinds of dungeons,raids and reputation. Oh and a huge money sink

RIFT Fan Site Operator DimensionDiva's Avatar

For me, dimensions are an outlet for creativity. I have fun coming up with an idea, building it, and seeing it complete. Getting to see the creations of other players is also tremendously fun and inspiring. I have friendships from a shared interest in dimensions, just like I have friends I mostly quest with, or do rifts with, or do achievements with ...

Dimensioning is another way to use game items earned via fishing, notoriety-building, crafting, events, questing and achievements. Better to use the items in your dimension instead of letting them languish in your bank (with your soulbound/account bound items ).

Recently, my ship dimension has become popular with duelers who decided on this activity on their own. I'll go there to find players madly dueling across the deck of my ship ... it's awesome!

To sum it up ... the main benefits from dimensions are mostly intangible rewards. Either they matter to you or not. To me, they are priceless.

My wacky weird (and mostly old) dimensions are tagged (diva) on Wolfsbane, Zaviel,
    Brutwacht, and Gelidra. I love to visit dimensions, so please invite me to see yours!

hehe sorry one of them was me the other day ;) was awesome^.^ love pushing people off the deck/plank mahaha

A valid question and one asked a few times by newcomers.

As others here already mentioned, dimension are a creative outlet... a sometimes rather challenging endeavor. However, after you complete your build, you will get this great sense of accomplishment.

I've said this in another thread, it's like writing a book, but instead of words you use building materials and let your creations tell the story.
    Last edited by Agrona77; 07-31-2013 at 08:21 AM.

RIFT Fan Site Operator

This question gets asked often so I am linking one of those cool times:

Click for: another point of view

I like that Dimensions are considered a resting point because we didn't have this feature before 2.3.

Whether people realize it or not Dimensions the way Trion have made them are pioneering and when I first saw them in the first BETA available I knew I had to somehow be a part of this game changing aspect not only of Rift but MMO's all together. Trion have taken in game housing to a whole new level.

On a personal level Dimensions for me began as a creative, competitive aspect of the game that I could get involved in as my internet connection is terrible where I moved to so I cannot raid hardcore or PvP competitively like I would normally do. I like the challenges Dimensions themselves and dimension items present me as I conjure up an idea and see if I can run with it but more than that I love watching how everyone else rises to the occasion, gets to know each other and smile broadly at how Dimensions are evolving.

So morphing these two point of views together *grins* the point of Dimensions to me is to be a pioneer of something that keeps evolving offering creative and technical challenges you will not experience in any other game.

The benefits depend upon the person.

Some will find nothing appealing about them. Others may approach it in the same way an artist would look upon a canvas. Then there are those who do it for relaxation; as a therapy of sorts. Still others may see them as an extension of the lore that they've created and evolved around their characters. And then there are those who see it as just another part of the game.

On a more personal note, I'm currently enjoying the benefits of not having my face chewed off by a random mob while having to rush away from the computer repeatedly.

I am one of those who likes to plays builder games. I've played many builder games before but something about dimensions that doesn't appeal to me. I couldn't terraform the land the way I want to. I couldn't build my own buildings or at least find some buildings that I'd like to arrange. The items I could put to it cannot be customized or arranged the way I want to. I went to visit dimensions and they started to all look the same, uncreative and depressing. I'm not sure why but Farmville or some other simple block building games can be much more creative than our dimensions.

RIFT Fan Site Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Sethantes View Post
    I am one of those who likes to plays builder games. I've played many builder games before but something about dimensions that doesn't appeal to me. I couldn't terraform the land the way I want to. I couldn't build my own buildings or at least find some buildings that I'd like to arrange. The items I could put to it cannot be customized or arranged the way I want to. I went to visit dimensions and they started to all look the same, uncreative and depressing. I'm not sure why but Farmville or some other simple block building games can be much more creative than our dimensions.
    I tried Minecraft, I've only watched other games including EQ and I am looking at Dragons Prophet and waiting like many for Wildstar but its the realism of Dimensions for me, the textures and colours. minecraft was like chewing glass and farmsville made me feel 5 years old so that lasted 3 minutes.Perhaps for some its the amount they can get done and for others its the beauty hmm what you think? Dimensions to me takes the cake on beauty.

I certainly can't argue with the lack of terraforming. But as to not being able to build buildings, I think this thread contradicts that. They built an entire town. And there are plenty of other dimensions where players have created structures out of just about anything available. There was one recently where someone built the Eiffel Tower. Another created a Death Star. And still another who built an entire pirate ship. The f2p patch really expanded the amount of items to chose and build from.

You're correct that items can't really be customized beyond their scale, but they can certainly be arranged however you want. They have no collision detection against other items, and can be placed anywhere within the area, including inside others. As for them looking all the same, I have to disagree with you there, as well. Sure, I've come across a few that were lifeless and uninspiring, but that number was vastly outweighed by the ones that were brilliant.

I'm not saying you have to like them. Your opinion is your own. But some of your dislikes just don't make any sense in the face of evidence to the contrary.

I certainly can't argue with the lack of terraforming. But as to not being able to build buildings, I think this thread contradicts that. They built an entire town. And there are plenty of other dimensions where players have created structures out of just about anything available. There was one recently where someone built the Eiffel Tower. Another created a Death Star. And still another who built an entire pirate ship. The f2p patch really expanded the amount of items to chose and build from.

You're correct that items can't really be customized beyond their scale, but they can certainly be arranged however you want. They have no collision detection against other items, and can be placed anywhere within the area, including inside others. As for them looking all the same, I have to disagree with you there, as well. Sure, I've come across a few that were lifeless and uninspiring, but that number was vastly outweighed by the ones that were brilliant.

I'm not saying you have to like them. Your opinion is your own. But some of your dislikes just don't make any sense in the face of evidence to the contrary.
    I probably should explore more about it as I haven't done much in that regard. Dimensions is new and they would certainly get more improvement in the future.

I probably should explore more about it as I haven't done much in that regard. Dimensions is new and they would certainly get more improvement in the future.
    with all due respect dimensions aren't new they have been around for a year+. Please just stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Lostcode View Post
    with all due respect dimensions aren't new they have been around for a year+. Please just stop.
    No need to get feisty up in here. Everyone's entitled to their opinions.

I still consider them fairly new, as well. They were released with SL which came out at the end of last year. Add that to the fact that a lot of returning players never got to experience them, I'd say it's a fair statement.

The important thing is, there are a vast number of amazingly different dimensions out there, as well as similar ones. Sometimes it takes some searching through the empty/junk ones to find them though. (Junk as in storage, not quality.)

And yes, terraforming would be awesome, but I can get along without it ok too.
    Lils@Greybriar

65 Rogue/Dimension Addict

"Terraforming would be awesome" <Maddori>

I think it would kill the challenge I have come to expect but, it would be nice at times, who was it that said the other day? "my whole kingdom for a flat place to put this house?" lol It is the fight for what you want to see and how to get their that makes it worth wile and adds the "beautifulness" not seen in most places. ^.^
    Last edited by firebolts; 07-31-2013 at 11:00 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast