+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Have you loved player housing this much in any other game?

Soulwalker

Default Have you loved player housing this much in any other game?

I absolutely love Rift dimensions. Player housing makes me happy, and any game that has it, goes up a peg in my opinion!

What are some other games that you guys have loved “player housing”?

Here is one of mine:

I played City of Heroes for eight years, it is a game close to my heart. They had Supergroup bases (Rift example: Guild Dimensions). They had lots of stuff you could do inside of them, pvp other guilds, join instances, storage, you could resurrect there, and more. Here are some pictures of my base.

Birds eye view of base:

Castle i build out of 2000 desks.

Full album here: http://s291.photobucket.com/user/roc...?sort=3&page=1

Post some images of player housing in past games you have loved!

Yes, I've always loved to decorate my homes in other games. I have spent many, many hours decorating my houses in Oblivion and Skyrim. I even dl a mod for Oblivion that added a house in the Imperial City.

I also dl the DLC called Hearthfire for Skyrim, where you can purchase land and build 3 huge manors that you then can decorate. Although, a lot of rooms are filled with junk that can't be moved (thanks Devs... *rolls eyes*)

Although, I have NEVER experienced the freedom to build what I like or imagine, until Rift Dimensions. This is now my preferred player housing system!

Ultima Online.

Granted, it's more 2-D than 3-D, but the customization and the storage set it apart from any other housing system I've ever seen.

Rift made big strides in catching up with the customizations in 2.3 (modular building blocks), but it still unfortunately lacks the storage and the in-house crafting stations.

Runescape player housing with the construction skill for the win.

I would just like more crafting functionality from the Rift dimensions.

In runescape for example, you could place portals to other areas, pvp dynamics (inc to rift), crafting benches and so on.

I think Rift should include crafting benches, placeable mailbox at the very least, and able to set the place as a soul recall point
    Valery@Zaviel - Mage | Valzz - Cleric | Soulsky - Rogue | Introvert - Warrior
    Everything you need to know for Mage: www.valvalval.net

Soulwalker

I have really become very involved with dimension building. While not perfect, it has the most flexibility in terms of construction I have seen in any game I've played. Some of the dimensions I have visited are just "jaw dropping" great!

That said, a few things I would not mind seeing to make dimensions even better are some that have been mentioned, mail access and especially in-dimension storage capabilities. It is a pain running back and forth to the dimension vendors and having to use a lot of bag/bank space when I take breaks from building and do things like, you know, play the game itself.

I hope they continue to release new items to the dimension vendors, as I am really enjoying this aspect of the game.

Agree that Rift's Dimensions is the best, most sandboxy housing feature I've ever seen in an mmo. (I need to qualify that since I've only been playing mmos since 2006 and I started with WoW, so that means I missed UO, SWG and EQ1.) But every other mmo that has housing, including Vanguard, Wurm and ATITD, is bested by Rift's version of it.

Props to Trion on the huge investment in Dimensions and dear god I hope it pays off because imo there is nothing out there that rivals it.
    Last edited by Jaedor; 07-30-2013 at 02:03 PM.
    Thorin's Halls, Lost Cavern, The Road Less Traveled, Hypnotique, Avalon, Hero's Quest: Belly of the Beast, Avatar v2.0, Promenade Penthouse, Hero's Quest: Sleeping Beauty, Quadradream, Everwinter, Karthan Paradise, Halls of Intoxication, Court of Shadows, Dreamscapes, Lost in Wonderland, Hero’s Quest: Hidden Canyon, Bywater, Sanguine Summer Greybriar Dimension Geek

I may be in the minority, but I actually always hated the idea of player housing. When I thought of player housing, the first thing I pictured was the ridiculous suburban neighborhood in Aion and just never understood the appeal.

Then I started playing Rift and heard about dimensions. I wasn't interested at first, but when Rift went F2P, I had a ton of loyalty and got the key to Faen's Retreat and the tier dimension packs so I decided to try it out.

I'm absolutely hooked now. I haven't done my dailies or anything else in almost a week because I've been so focused on building my Dormant Core dimension.

Rift is the only game I've ever played that had player housing in it. The only other MMO I've ever really played besides this one is WoW, and it doesn't have housing.

However, I used to mess around with 3D programs long ago, and there are some similarities between what I did with those and what I do now in Rift. Although I've created a few simple models, I mostly used existing ones to set up scenes (for lack of a better word). Looking back on the pics of them now, they're really, really amateurish, but they were a lot of fun at the time.

I've had housing in a couple of games but my favorite was Star Wars Galaxies. The movement of the items was extremely flexible because you used numbers to move things. I haven't loved another housing until Rift. They have done a great job and they have an incredible number of items to use to create something unique. I've been to dimensions where I've said, "How the hell did they do that??" So today, Rift gets my vote.
    "Almost single handily keeping the computer gaming industry in the black."

Come visit my dimensions, "Oasis Valley" and "Magic and Mazes" on the Shatterbone Shard. Thanks.

I love player housing... and yet Rift's didn't hook me at all.

In EQ2, I spent so much freaking time with my house, but with Rift... I dunno, I just haven't been hooked.

I think it's due to the fact that it's not as naturally integrated into the game as EQ2's was, but despite Dimensions arguably being way more flexible a system than EQ2's and being a lot "cooler" in general I just... can't get into it. =(
    Last edited by Kriptini; 07-30-2013 at 10:52 PM.

Shadowlander

I only came back to rift recently, I normally play the MMO that doesn't have any personal space.
    When I saw it, I though "nope, not for me". However the guy I have been levelling with has been offline for the past 2 days. I must say I like messing around with it.
    I treated myself to £20 worth of stuff, haven't spent it all yet but I am having fun trying.
    It's weird but because had there have been a sub, there's no way I would be able to justify it :-D

So yeah I like it a lot, but it isn't in other games I play

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Missilluzion View Post
    Have you loved player housing this much in any other game?
    Yes.

Dimensions are a good idea gone bad due to horrible over-convolusion and a UI that's highly tedious to use and far too much micro-management needed to create anything half-decent.

Quote Originally Posted by Kragorn View Post
    Dimensions are a good idea gone bad due to horrible over-convolusion and a UI that's highly tedious to use and far too much micro-management needed to create anything half-decent.
    I actually agree about the UI being tedious to use. I absolutely love dimensions, but I hate how difficult it is to move/rotate things precisely. I also really dislike struggling to find a good camera angle when I'm adjusting something.

It would be nice if you could duplicate/resize multiple things at once as well.

I love dimensions enough that I'm willing to tolerate the terrible UI, but I feel like there are a lot of things they could improve.

For me my first look at any real player housing was in runescape but, that was only at the first phase of it then stopped playing so rift really is my first player housing that I've really done any thing with and love it! ^.^ Even if I'm slow at it. =}

I played a very short-lived game called Glitch that had player housing of a sorts. Most everything was pre-fab (as in purchased from the cash shop or other players) but you could also have chickens, pigs, butterflies (you milked the butterflies... don't ask), fruit trees, herb and vegetable gardens and even a shop to sell items or just show off the cool stuff you had collected. It didn't allow much from-scratch building, but gosh it was fun. RIP Glitch!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast