+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Phaius

Thread: Moonshade Botanic Gardens (Deepwood) - A few small updates

Shadowlander

Default Moonshade Botanic Gardens (Deepwood) - A few small updates

So, I've added a little more to Moonshade Botanic Gardens since the last time I'd posted. I took a few things out since I hit the item cap a few times, but no major changes. Wouldn't I love to see the level cap raised to 3K in Moonshade (at LEAST) .

I added a small Japanese inspired area to one of the big platforms leading down from the Kelari temple. Surprisingly easy to do although I would love to see some small stone lanterns (that aren't planar ).

The Seratos pus garden has a bit more added into it. It needed something under the pustule trees to balance it out, and oddly enough all of the flower groundcovers from Hailol work well because they have almost all of the colors found in the pustule trees and act as a nice counterbalance to how disgusting all of those trees really are.

A part of the garden I initially had trouble deciding what to do with was the hillside next to the original garden but downhill from the Kelari temple. I decided to call this the "rock garden" since I used rocks to define the space. This is a more deserty cactus garden than the one in the main garden (which is meant to look more like lush tropical succulents). If only i could add a ground texture overlay here (sort of like what happens when rifts open).

I originally had not planned to do anything with the area below the large waterfall which is a pretty high, sheer cliff. This presented challenges trying to get a stairway along it, but I managed. I really can't capture all of it easily though. A huge chunk of my remaining item count went toward the stairs. But it provides a lot of really nice vistas.

I also ended up adding walls below the original terrace I had that allowed you to see the big waterfall without getting stuck and having to exit and re-enter to get back in. As it ended up being sort of a massive stepped truncated cone, I added some ivy to make it not look so imposing. Trees also helped out.

At the bottom I noticed that with the way alpha textures and water works, I was seeing it sort of "cut" into the water revealing where the walls went into the water so I added a few rocks, some rock clasping trees and made it feel a bit more like a grotto instead of a plantless quarry.

My favorite part though is a small building I added (one you can't enter of course). I'm not really one for building structures in Dimensions because I don't like not having fine control over wall height, length and thickness,. But I wanted something as a nice touch at the very bottom of the whole garden, so I created sort of a small temple building. Mossy brick pieces for the structure, but Brevane window, door, and sconces for the facade. Softened it all up with ivy drapes and added a couple of obelisks and that candle graced shrine. I'm quite pleased.

Incidentally I decided to see how long a quick tour with a few stops along the way would take on foot. It took almost 11 minutes to see the entire place.

RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar

I really liked the original of this dimension, and your pictures of the updates look beautiful. Nicely done.
    Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel

Baradara@Greybriar

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Feendish View Post
    I really liked the original of this dimension, and your pictures of the updates look beautiful. Nicely done.
    Thank you very much

Most of the changes to the original garden are pretty minor and I think a lot of people wouldn't notice them too much. But there's no way I'll be doing major changes unless we get a lot of new plants I HAVE to have.

Oh another botanical garden! I haven't even seen the original yet! It's high time that I come to Deepwood and take a walk through your garden!!
    Last edited by Agrona77; 07-15-2013 at 07:07 AM.

+ Reply to Thread