+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Feendish
  • 2 Post By Iknoweh
  • 1 Post By Feendish

Thread: Issue Placing Items in Stone Tavern...

Soulwalker

Default Issue Placing Items in Stone Tavern...

Hello. I'm trying to build the Stone Tavern dim for my guild and I'm having frustrating issue of when I place an item and using the XYZ function, the blue and red lines are not on 90 degree axis where I can simply move them left to right etc. When dropped, and XYZ is used, it moves in a weird diagonal track, so I have to move it back and forth several times and its quite frankly a waste of time.

For my own personal dims (Warden and Plaza A) when I drop an item, it's lined up and I move it left or right.

TLDR ..... Is this Dim like this for all or have I somehow altered the settings? Please help, about to give up on this Dim.

RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lemuria View Post
    Hello. I'm trying to build the Stone Tavern dim for my guild and I'm having frustrating issue of when I place an item and using the XYZ function, the blue and red lines are not on 90 degree axis where I can simply move them left to right etc. When dropped, and XYZ is used, it moves in a weird diagonal track, so I have to move it back and forth several times and its quite frankly a waste of time.

For my own personal dims (Warden and Plaza A) when I drop an item, it's lined up and I move it left or right.

TLDR ..... Is this Dim like this for all or have I somehow altered the settings? Please help, about to give up on this Dim.
    Ahhh, the frustration of Stone Flask. Yes, the whole thing is roughly 23 degrees off the axis. What this means, and what might save you some pain, is to build things on the axis as you normally would--say you put your entire kitchen or living room together, etc, etc., then turn that whole thing as one big set so that it lines up with the rest. This way, you can make your adjustments as you need to on the axis and then you can just move the entire piece as you will. That being said, moving more than about 200ish pieces at a time will crash your client (this was a painful lesson learned the hard way).

Not an optimal arrangement, or much of a solution, but I hope that made sense, and I hope it helps you out. Happy building!
    Last edited by Feendish; 07-10-2013 at 02:39 PM.
    Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel

Baradara@Greybriar

Only a few dimensions are on the same grid as the XYZ axis. You've found the main challenge with Stone Flask Tavern but there are several others like it. One tool that can help with this is the addon Dimension Toolbox.
    The Road Less Traveled, Hypnotique, Hero's Quest: Belly of the Beast, Avalon, Doubleohhseven's Avatar v2.0, Promenade Penthouse, Hero's Quest: Sleeping Beauty, Mabhe's Quadradream, Everwinter, Karthan Paradise, Halls of Intoxication, Court of Shadows, Dreamscapes, Lost in Wonderland, Hero’s Quest: Hidden Canyon, Bywater, Sanguine Summer
    Greybriar Dimension Geek

Soulwalker

Thank you for the friendly, quick and helpful replies. Most important I'm reassured that I'm not imagining it, lol. I'll try building and then adjusting. I did get the TOOLBOX add on, but it's greek to me. Is that for constructing something outside of the game and then importing (might be better to ask in another thread, lol).

Thank you for the friendly, quick and helpful replies. Most important I'm reassured that I'm not imagining it, lol. I'll try building and then adjusting. I did get the TOOLBOX add on, but it's greek to me. Is that for constructing something outside of the game and then importing (might be better to ask in another thread, lol).
    Toolbox is great for alignment. I like my walls to be 90 up and down, not 89 or 88 or 91. Toolbox gives me that precision. I also like to take random things and spin them into circles to see how they look. Using the features down at the bottom of the Toolbox allows me to do that without a bunch of tedious turning and rotating and minute adjusting. For Toolbox tutorials, Rubeyrose has done an excellent series on Toolbox starting from installation to making cones and complex geometrical designs. You can find those videos on RiftScene.com, under dimensions.

Outside of that, the best way to learn Toolbox is to play with it, and learn how the controls work by doing, and not be intimidated by all the numbers. Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Feendish; 07-10-2013 at 02:54 PM.

Baradara@Greybriar

It's very useful in lots of ways, including importing. Here are some threads worth reading and tutorials worth watching:
    http://forums.riftgame.com/game-disc...or-stairs.html
    http://riftdreamdimensions.com/?p=747
    http://forums.riftgame.com/technical...n-toolbox.html
    The Road Less Traveled, Hypnotique, Hero's Quest: Belly of the Beast, Avalon, Doubleohhseven's Avatar v2.0, Promenade Penthouse, Hero's Quest: Sleeping Beauty, Mabhe's Quadradream, Everwinter, Karthan Paradise, Halls of Intoxication, Court of Shadows, Dreamscapes, Lost in Wonderland, Hero’s Quest: Hidden Canyon, Bywater, Sanguine Summer
    Greybriar Dimension Geek

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Feendish View Post
    Toolbox is great for alignment. I like my walls to be 90 up and down, not 89 or 88 or 91. Toolbox gives me that precision. I also like to take random things and spin them into circles to see how they look. Using the features down at the bottom of the Toolbox allows me to do that without a bunch of tedious turning and rotating and minute adjusting. For Toolbox tutorials, Rubeyrose has done an excellent series on Toolbox starting from installation to making cones and complex geometrical designs. You can find those videos on RiftScene.com, under dimensions.

Outside of that, the best way to learn Toolbox is to play with it, and learn how the controls work by doing, and not be intimidated by all the numbers. Hope that helps.
    Nothing against Ruby, but for me personally, this guy had me understanding it right from the get go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2y9SFp3y6To
    Last edited by Iknoweh; 07-10-2013 at 03:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iknoweh View Post
    Nothing against Ruby, but for me personally, this guy had me understanding it right from the get go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2y9SFp3y6To
    Whatever works, right? It doesn't matter how we gain the understanding, merely how we apply it.

Baradara@Greybriar

When I start building anything I drop a piece and see which direction it falls, I can then see how to build without twisting and turning every piece.
    I Rift, therefore I am.

+ Reply to Thread