+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: I am extremely disappointed with dimensions

Soulwalker

Default I am extremely disappointed with dimensions

I am currently going through every dimension and I am very sad at what I am seeing. I come from Everquest 2's player housing (which is spectacular) and thought this would be as good or even better. Aside from the fact that every dimension is just other areas from the game, they are all extremely tiny. The green bubble cuts the areas off in aggravating places (for example, 5 feet from a wall that would otherwise be a good area border). I finally entered a dimension that made me say "Wow! This is finally a good dimension" and it turns out its a guild dimension (Caer Kholum). Places like Plaza Aurentine are especially bad. You are shown this large area with a nice canal and then bam. 20 feet of room to walk around away from the starter room and you hit a wall. I understand places like Kestrel's Cry Ravine having a sudden wall; its an o*****h area (still small). I do not understand places like Auditorium Carnos Plaza where there is a wall on the far side from the stairs that you cant reach because the annoying green wall stops you 6 feet away from it.

The only decent personal dimensions are Vengeful Sky, Dormant Core, and Stone Flask Tavern. They are the only dimensions that don't limit you in silly, stupid ways. Moving the green wall back 5-20 yards in some areas/dimensions would make huge improvements, but I think the problem lies in the area design to begin with. Perhaps it is my fault. Perhaps what I want is player housing and what I am being provided is player patio areas.

Just for reference, here are some examples of good player housing

Guild Hall
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVVdhCzsLA8 Terrible video quality but a good showcase of the hall

Personal
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fda8lQDQPck Large
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeLFnKqJHO8 Flat floating island with a pool and another smaller floating island above that can be build on
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axDZhZy5LfU a ship with rooms below deck

Quote Originally Posted by Sabellian View Post
    I am currently going through every dimension and I am very sad at what I am seeing. I come from Everquest 2's player housing (which is spectacular) and thought this would be as good or even better.
    I can see your point. As someone who never played EQ2, it's sort of a "don't know what you're missing" perspective I have, as this is what I know. Boundaries in odd places? Oh well, least I can make stuff!. I have no point of comparison to judge the two against each other. I was quite happy with what I had. Well, until recently anyway.

I do hope you find a way to have fun manipulating the toys, even if you don't like the playground you've been given. A lot of players have made some stunning displays in their allotted oddly placed bubbles.

I think this may be a personal preference issue. I played EQ2 for quite a while, and never really cared for the housing system. On the other hand, Dims are quite fun to me!
    Leondria 60 P6x Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Aeonblade View Post
    I think this may be a personal preference issue. I played EQ2 for quite a while, and never really cared for the housing system. On the other hand, Dims are quite fun to me!
    Agree with this. I was looking for a mostly themepark mmo with a sandboxy style of housing and until Rift, I hadn't found anything except full sandbox mode. Maybe I missed something in EQ2 but I'm loving Rift's version of it.
    The Road Less Traveled, Hypnotique, Hero's Quest: Belly of the Beast, Avalon, Doubleohhseven's Avatar v2.0, Promenade Penthouse, Hero's Quest: Sleeping Beauty, Mabhe's Quadradream, Everwinter, Karthan Paradise, Halls of Intoxication, Court of Shadows, Dreamscapes, Lost in Wonderland, Hero’s Quest: Hidden Canyon, Bywater, Sanguine Summer
    Greybriar Dimension Geek

Wow, those were really impressive. That guild hall looks like it's the size of Meridian. And that ship was just awesome.

Yeah, I'd say if you were looking for EQ style housing, you're probably going to be disappointed. Kind of apples and oranges from the looks of it. Rift's is still in it's infancy, so who knows how they will evolve. Dims, and the items for them, have already grown, and I figure they'll continue to so long as Rift keeps going.

I guess I played EQ2 too long ago, because all I remember having is 90% indoor areas, maybe with a patio, certainly not a whole island.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Sabellian View Post
    Just for reference, here are some examples of good player housing

Guild Hall
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVVdhCzsLA8 Terrible video quality but a good showcase of the hall

Personal
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fda8lQDQPck Large
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeLFnKqJHO8 Flat floating island with a pool and another smaller floating island above that can be build on
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axDZhZy5LfU a ship with rooms below deck
    I've seen several *very* large structures built in Moonshade Pools and Shoreward Island. They're much like your showcase hall, only bigger and more ornate.

I agree there are some dimensions that are ... small, to say the least, but there are dimensions that have quite large building areas. Maybe you just haven't seen them all yet?

My suggestion is that you give Moonshade Pools a try. Some people creatively cover the bottom pool and end up with extremely large building areas.

I played EQ2 for like eight days. Seven and a half were spent making a home out of the place I had in New Halas. The other half was spent getting there. I also was in a guild for a bit and saw their mansion, which was quite frankly amazing. There was a bar and lounge on top of an aquarium replete with a piano, I would love to go to such a place in RL.

I must say, comparing the two I vastly prefer Rift's in terms of size. In EQ2 I'm given a two story apartment. In Rift, I'm given a plot of land upon which to build a two story house, and it has a lake. Heck, I can even buy myself a crater in a volcanic island and build a pirate ship there if I want. Some dimensions are small, but each I've come across is bigger than my home in New Halas. Horizontally the starter dimension is similar, but vertically Rift's starter beats the apartment in New Halas by a longshot. I'm sure EQ2 has bigger places as the guild mansion was simply spectacular, but starter vs starter Rift's wins in size.

In terms of borders, I prefer EQ2's system. That green wall is highly annoying, and it's made worse by the fact that placing an object in it causes that part of the wall to always appear.

In terms of customization, no contest Rift wins. As before, I get a prebuilt apartment in EQ2 and can then furnish it. In Rift, I can build that apartment if I want, use existing structures, or just have an empty plot of land to set up a picnic.

As far as crafting interaction and quest/exploration rewards go, EQ2 wins. I was making book shelves and furniture for my new home in a matter of minutes. Rift has the better stuff tied to higher skill level recipes. Any books I collected in EQ2 out in the world I could place on the shelf, kinda like a lore trophy rack. In Rift, any books are always there and none can be read.

Each has their strengths, but I think in time Rift can blow EQ2's housing away in every regard other than nostalgia. In many cases, it already does. I still want that lounge on top of an aquarium though...

Well, I guess when EQN gets released we'll see what they do then. It might be a bit more fair to compare two housing systems that are in their infancies, than one that's had a long time to improve vs one that basically just came out.
    If you're too old to play with Legos, you still have some growing up to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Treble View Post
    I guess I played EQ2 too long ago, because all I remember having is 90% indoor areas, maybe with a patio, certainly not a whole island.
    Oh Treble it's all changed now. You can buy vacant blocks.

I do miss EQ2 housing, but more so for the extreme variety in items. Plus, most of the items are quested, player made, or 'patron' rewards. The EQ2 crap shop, although it carries a large variety of items, is minor compared to the items you can obtain by playing the game. In Rift it couldn't be more opposite.

That is what irks me. There needs to be more in-game ways of acquiring dim items, and, more variety.
    As for the functionality of EQ2 housing, it can't be beaten imo, but, that also came at a price. It emptied the cities, noticeably.

Variety in Rift dim items, is seeing how many rocks you can obtain, dollars you can spend, or trees you can plant. It lacks imo.

Side note. The last time I played EQ2 you could own up to 25 houses, PER TOON. No, you didn't need to buy those 25 slots, you were given them.
    Last edited by Charlice; 07-09-2013 at 02:49 PM.

Den of Madness | Greybriar | Den of Badness | Derpwood

Quote Originally Posted by Charlice View Post
    Oh Treble it's all changed now. You can buy vacant blocks.

I do miss EQ2 housing, but more so for the extreme variety in items. Plus, most of the items are quested, player made, or 'patron' rewards. The EQ2 crap shop, although it carries a large variety of items, is minor compared to the items you can obtain by playing the game. In Rift it couldn't be more opposite.

That is what irks me. There needs to be more in-game ways of acquiring dim items, and, more variety.
    As for the functionality of EQ2 housing, it can't be beaten imo, but, that also came at a price. It emptied the cities, noticeably.

Variety in Rift dim items, is seeing how many rocks you can obtain, dollars you can spend, or trees you can plant. It lacks imo.

Side note. The last time I played EQ2 you could own up to 25 houses, PER TOON. No, you didn't need to buy those 25 slots, you were given them.
    Wow, that sounds amazing. The last time I played EQ2 was right before they released the Shadow Odyssey expansion, so houses were still pretty small and you can only hold one per character. Sounds like they really came a long way.

I'm still holding out hope that Trion will continue to improve both the functionality and pricing of dimension content. Either that, or I can be annoying enough that they'll do it just to shut me up >: )
    Last edited by Maddori; 07-09-2013 at 03:16 PM.
    Lils@Greybriar

65 Rogue/Dimension Addict

I love dims in Rift. I love having the option to raid, dungeon, rp, build, craft all in one game. I never was able to play EQ2. With that said, I still do have reservations about some of the aspects in dimensions in this game.

The restrictions on space is one of them. It's never bothered me enough to complain but I can understand where you are coming from. There are some options with vacant areas and sometimes you just have to be creative with placement. Like building in the sky or on water. I just really dislike some of the premade options in the dimensions. Like the house in Faen's Retreat. What if I want a larger house? Or I want to build my bigger house where the small one is at? I love that dimension but the trees and the house can be bothersome when doing other things with the space. I love options and maybe giving us more space to build so we can do what we want with the dimension would be nice. Or even being able to control the terrain? (Although that might be too complicated.

Everything I mentioned is not ruining the game for me but more options is never a horrible thing when you are given a tool set to be creative. Especially when it's marketed with "own your own sliver of Telara."

I am most definitely in love with where this is going and I can't wait to see how it evolves!
    Last edited by Litzy; 07-09-2013 at 05:18 PM.

Plane Touched

If I was into housing, I'd be all over EQ2. I wish I didn't have to use an inferior PC to what I'm currently on to play it, though. It's got performance issues worse than Rift will ever have, unfortunately.

The current restrictions with dimensions and them being a gigantic money sink in Rift kind of stops me from putting any real time into. Sure, it's has an easy to use placement system, but I can't really find a reason to be there.

Never played EQ2, but I've decorated enough houses in other MMO's and single player games, to really appreciate Rift dimensions. Here, I can let me imagination run free and actually created items, instead of just placing furniture pieces.

I've never seen a more advance player housing that gives you so much freedom, to do as you please.

Soulwalker

We had Domino. It's a different game under different leadership, and I think they've done a pretty good job having EQ2's shadow over them.

But EQ2 had a spectacular dev, and there's no compare.

Lord of the Rings Online has the best player housing in any game, in my opinion.

I'm curious to see more of Wildstar's player housing.

Faeblight is the home of Taaltos
    ***Triumph through Loyalty Respect and Perseverance.***

--Taaltos--
    Always willing to make an *** of himself so you don't have to.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast