Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By Caelthas
  • 2 Post By Feendish
  • 2 Post By Jaedor
  • 1 Post By Agrona77
  • 1 Post By Feendish

Thread: Music Boxes - not interactive?

Default Music Boxes - not interactive?

So I went under the "Interactive" tab on the credit store and bought some music boxes for my dimension. I placed them in a tent, and then invited a friend to my dimension. Neither of us was able to interact with them in any way and they didn't play any music.

Are they broken? Are they not actually interactive? Is Trion lying to us? What's going on?
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyrestorme View Post
    So I went under the "Interactive" tab on the credit store and bought some music boxes for my dimension. I placed them in a tent, and then invited a friend to my dimension. Neither of us was able to interact with them in any way and they didn't play any music.

Are they broken? Are they not actually interactive? Is Trion lying to us? What's going on?
    It should alter the ambient background music only. You don't "click" on them or anything. Think of the sky telescopes. Once they're placed, the sky changes to a set schematic and remains that way until the telescope is removed. Once the music boxes are placed, the music that plays in the background when you zone in changes, and that is the only music you'll hear until that music box is removed.

Yes, it would be much cooler if it was a jukebox =p

<Presses D36 and dances off conga-line style to Jimmy Buffett's Volcano>

RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar

It also depends on which dimension you place them in as well. I dropped one in Vengeful Sky, to at least try to subdue some of the lightning, and the box had no effect at all. At least it has a cool pattern on the bottom, to sink into the floor.
    Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel

Baradara@Greybriar

I've played around with these a little and I think the box has a range. If you're out of its range, it basically has no effect. I'll have to play some more to see if I can tell a range but I'd guess 40 meters. So to cover a space as big as VS you'd need several of them.
    The Road Less Traveled, Hypnotique, Hero's Quest: Belly of the Beast, Avalon, Doubleohhseven's Avatar v2.0, Promenade Penthouse, Hero's Quest: Sleeping Beauty, Mabhe's Quadradream, Everwinter, Karthan Paradise, Halls of Intoxication, Court of Shadows, Dreamscapes, Lost in Wonderland, Hero’s Quest: Hidden Canyon, Bywater, Sanguine Summer
    Greybriar Dimension Geek

Quote Originally Posted by Jaedor View Post
    I've played around with these a little and I think the box has a range. If you're out of its range, it basically has no effect. I'll have to play some more to see if I can tell a range but I'd guess 40 meters. So to cover a space as big as VS you'd need several of them.
    Lol, I was standing right next to the box...and there is 0 item count left.

Baradara@Greybriar

Well I did notice that the music can easily be drowned out by the sound of ambient noise like the carnival floats. So maybe the music box volume is separate from ambient? Just trying to think of ideas...
    The Road Less Traveled, Hypnotique, Hero's Quest: Belly of the Beast, Avalon, Doubleohhseven's Avatar v2.0, Promenade Penthouse, Hero's Quest: Sleeping Beauty, Mabhe's Quadradream, Everwinter, Karthan Paradise, Halls of Intoxication, Court of Shadows, Dreamscapes, Lost in Wonderland, Hero’s Quest: Hidden Canyon, Bywater, Sanguine Summer
    Greybriar Dimension Geek

Quote Originally Posted by Feendish View Post
    It also depends on which dimension you place them in as well. I dropped one in Vengeful Sky, to at least try to subdue some of the lightning, and the box had no effect at all. At least it has a cool pattern on the bottom, to sink into the floor.
    Oh so, I guess the crackling of lighting in Vengeful Sky isn't music, just ambient sound?
    a. I think Trion needs to add more music box choices
    b. They should add ambient sound boxes, too!

@ Jaedor - yea, I noticed that those boxes had a range, when I used one in my Dormant Core dim. I had to add another one, to keep the overall music the same LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Agrona77 View Post
    Oh so, I guess the crackling of lighting in Vengeful Sky isn't music, just ambient sound?
    a. I think Trion needs to add more music box choices
    b. They should add ambient sound boxes, too!

@ Jaedor - yea, I noticed that those boxes had a range, when I used one in my Dormant Core dim. I had to add another one, to keep the overall music the same LOL
    I think my hope was not to get rid of the lightning sound, but just to add some kind of background noise so it isn't so harsh. Since I don't play with my sound on, I can't hear it anyway, but I know a lot of folks do have their sound on. I love the Vengeful Sky dimension for the way it's laid out (lots of wide, FLAT space). Someone pointed out the other day that in Crowned by Stars the natural music of Edge of Infinity is very harsh compared to the design I made. I installed a Silverwood box, and you can hear it through the entire dimension. In Vengeful, the box has no effect whatsoever, even when turning music volume to the maximum. Either way, I'm chalking it up as a failed experiment, and am glad I got the box out of a mystery box, instead of paying specifically for it.

Baradara@Greybriar

the dimension I was trying to use them in was 'edge of infinity' and there is quite a bit of ambient background sound, but I turned the music up to 100 and everything else down and stood right next to the music boxes and they didn't play anything
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyrestorme View Post
    the dimension I was trying to use them in was 'edge of infinity' and there is quite a bit of ambient background sound, but I turned the music up to 100 and everything else down and stood right next to the music boxes and they didn't play anything
    Hrm, that sounds like something that might require a ticket. I put a Silverwood box in my EoI, and it works fine, installed in the center of the dimension, where I have stairs traversing the two platforms.

Baradara@Greybriar

+ Reply to Thread