+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Hawkmoon0028
  • 1 Post By xanduin246

Thread: We SERIOUSLY need to be able to manipulate SIZE, not just SCALE

Default We SERIOUSLY need to be able to manipulate SIZE, not just SCALE

This is beyond frustrating.

I've returned after a 6 month hiatus, and I have started to enjoy dimensioneering. However....

Trying to manipulate the size of an object, as the current dimension system stands, means adjusting its scale. This equates to changing all of the object's dimensions: length, width, etc.

What if I like the size of a wooden pole, or a stone wall... but not it's length? Why can I not just make a single pole stretch to the maximum limit currently in place in the scale- without actually changing the object's scale?

I could apply this to a hundred different scenarios. I understand the need to have item count be a consideration, because this is obviously a method of generating revenue for Trion... but this is a feature that I think Trion was seriously remiss in not considering from the get-go.

Is this a feature that's in the works? Are there other thoughts from the community on this?
    Last edited by Hawkmoon0028; 07-05-2013 at 10:15 AM.

Hawkemoon- Cleric- Greybriar
    Waiting for: Star Citizen

I think it has to do with the textures. Increasing the scale of an item stretches the textures in all directions equally. But just increasing the length, or width, would make the textures out of proportion, and they would probably look weird. Think of the bricks on a stone wall, if you only stretched it in length then each of the bricks would be extremely long, while being the same height.

Telaran

We would all love this feature but I'd imagine it's hard to do properly.

Quote Originally Posted by xanduin246 View Post
    I think it has to do with the textures. Increasing the scale of an item stretches the textures in all directions equally. But just increasing the length, or width, would make the textures out of proportion, and they would probably look weird. Think of the bricks on a stone wall, if you only stretched it in length then each of the bricks would be extremely long, while being the same height.
    Although most of the textures are only projections (eg. building blocks), so the shape of the item doesn't actually matter, as the texture will remain the same and "roll" over it.

I agree this might cause some issues with things like trees, statues, etc. that have the texture painted on, but I doubt it would be impossible since stretching is incorporated into many things already (such as gear).

I think the main problem is programming it in. Maya does plenty of this stuff already (and more) but if the program doesn't know how then it'll cause problems. I do hope they add it later.
    Last edited by xombii; 07-05-2013 at 12:32 PM.

Would be a wonderful addition op, lets hope one day they can implement it!
    Im all for any improvements

I can see this being more possible with the building blocks that don't have a set skin that scales with the block: rectangles, tiles, triangles, cubes, and poles. Stretching objects that have a skin "stuck" to the items might look funny, like the modular building blocks and some of the pillars with high detail. There are already some blocks that can't be resized but all the other options are available so there should already be a way to distinguish which blocks can be stretched and which can't.

For now my work around (especially with poles) is to create the thickness or width I want on one pole/item then add more for length.

Quote Originally Posted by Akhor View Post
    I can see this being more possible with the building blocks that don't have a set skin that scales with the block: rectangles, tiles, triangles, cubes, and poles. Stretching objects that have a skin "stuck" to the items might look funny, like the modular building blocks and some of the pillars with high detail. There are already some blocks that can't be resized but all the other options are available so there should already be a way to distinguish which blocks can be stretched and which can't.

For now my work around (especially with poles) is to create the thickness or width I want on one pole/item then add more for length.
    Thanks for your input, everyone.

@Akhor, I should have been more specific; yes, I was referring specifically to building block-type items: poles, cubes, rectangles, and tiles. Further, I wouldn't expect to see this work with the "premium" type objects- like the Bone floor tile. But if I build my house out of basic stone tiles, and the floor out of graystone tile (just random examples) I should be able to manipulate the size of the object, not just the scale.

As for this being a programming issue... I am a novice in this arena (I just started my coding classes... Java is fun!) but I would agree that coding for this would be... challenging. All that being said, I'd love to see it in the future.

Hawkemoon- Cleric- Greybriar
    Waiting for: Star Citizen

+ Reply to Thread