+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Zyonyx

Thread: What's RP server like & what server do you play on?

Telaran

Default What's RP server like & what server do you play on?

I am thinking about transferring to an RP server.

Few questions:
    1. What server do you play on (PVE, PVP, RP)? Don't give me the name of your shard, I only play on one shard and don't know what type of shards they all are just by name. Dimensions is an RP element to the game so I'm just curious if everyone here mostly play on RP server.

2. If you play on an RP server, what's it like, is it any different?

3. Do players on RP server raid or run dungeons?

I'm currently on a PVE server and it's pretty bad. So much hate and immaturity on chat can really get to you sometimes. Here's my experiences & opinions of each type of servers.

PVP:
    PVP'ers for the most part egotistic, condescending, immature, hating brats. This is not a bash, just the kind of experiences I have with them. Co-workers tell me about the things they do on PVP servers like griefing, killing others in open worlds and camping their dead bodies for hours on end, and many other not so nice things. When Trion put dim items in pvp vendors I had to roll my eyes because I knew that was the only way to get some the nice banners I wanted, and I hated every minute pvp'ing. Nothing but none stop flaming and hatting in there.

PVE:
    In every MMO I always play on PVE server because it's seems to have the most casual of players, but there are a lot of chidish and sarcastic players here too. Can't ask one question on chat without some smart *** remarks or condescending replies. There's also 24/7 trash talking to one another here too.

RP:
    I have never played on an RP server, but most RP players that I have met are the friendliest people I know. Just take a look at this Dimension forum section, it's leagues above the other forums in terms of friendliness and maturity. On the flip side, I hear stories about people harassing RPers on RP servers. I also heard RP'ers there don't like talking out of character.

So my question for those that have a lot of experiences on RP servers, is it really better than the others or am I making incorrect assumptions?

Will I be expected to talk in-character there? I love dimensions and it's the best part of Rift, at least for me, but other then creating dims I don't RP and don't care for acting and role playing.

These are genuine questions I hope any veteran players on RP servers can answer. I'm tired of immature people and sometimes wonder if mature gamers even exist. If most of you guys are on the RP servers than I want to move to your world, because this is the only place that reminds that there are respectable gamers. If it's just as bad as all the other servers then maybe I should just quit MMO's all together.

I play on a PVE server and your description fits general chat there perfectly lol. However if you look hard enough you can find the nice people and those are the ones that become my friends, quite a few of which I've met through dimensions.

I've never played on an RP server since it's not really my thing, but I try to be respectful of the people that do RP, especially if they invite me into their dimension. I'm more of an all around player, taking in every bit a game has to offer, so I end up meeting all types of people. The people on this forum are definitely the best of the bunch

I chose the PvE server I'm on (Shatterbone) when I started because the community here seemed really nice. It still is, for the most part, although there are the occasional chat trolls to ignore. Since going F2P, I've found it much friendlier to completely leave the 1-29 chat altogether.

I haven't really played much on the RP shard here beyond leveling to 10 in order to +1 Dimensions, but I spent a number of years on an RP server in WoW (Wyrmrest Accord). I dabbled in RP here and there, but never to a great extent. My real reason for playing there was the community. Much like the strung-out Dimension crazies you find in this forum, that RP server had a healthy, mature player base. Overall people on RP servers just seem to be friendlier than most, and as someone with a case of social anxiety, I've found them to be a blessing.

RPers, from what I've seen, participate in most of the things non-RPers do, although it's not always as much of a priority as you might find on other shard types. They generally don't RP in the middle of a dungeon or warfront though because everything is usually too fast paced (although some RP guilds may RP in a dungeon with a full guild group for the fun of it).

Being on an RP shard has its own set of rules, one of the most important being not griefing RPers. Too often they are ridiculed and looked down upon for simply playing the game "differently", and there are a lot of misconceptions. Although you don't have to RP on an RP shard, it's always encouraged. It's designed to be a haven for those who like to take the game a little deeper than stats and spreadsheets. Take that away, and it's just another PvE shard.

My advice is to roll a toon on the RP shard and test the waters. Get a feel for the overall community. And, if the mood strikes you, try out a little RP. I still miss RPing my Forsaken Rogue on WoW. I started out with just a bare concept of the character and, before I knew it, I had a rich, detailed backstory. It was genuinely a lot of fun.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Akhor View Post
    I play on a PVE server and your description fits general chat there perfectly lol. However if you look hard enough you can find the nice people and those are the ones that become my friends, quite a few of which I've met through dimensions.

I've never played on an RP server since it's not really my thing, but I try to be respectful of the people that do RP, especially if they invite me into their dimension. I'm more of an all around player, taking in every bit a game has to offer, so I end up meeting all types of people. The people on this forum are definitely the best of the bunch
    I'm the same way, I like to do a little bit of everything, and that is my concern hoping into an RP server if they aren't into raids and dungeons. It would be a little bit of a turn off if it becomes harder to find group hunts on that server.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Zyonyx View Post
    I chose the PvE server I'm on (Shatterbone) when I started because the community here seemed really nice. It still is, for the most part, although there are the occasional chat trolls to ignore. Since going F2P, I've found it much friendlier to completely leave the 1-29 chat altogether.

I haven't really played much on the RP shard here beyond leveling to 10 in order to +1 Dimensions, but I spent a number of years on an RP server in WoW (Wyrmrest Accord). I dabbled in RP here and there, but never to a great extent. My real reason for playing there was the community. Much like the strung-out Dimension crazies you find in this forum, that RP server had a healthy, mature player base. Overall people on RP servers just seem to be friendlier than most, and as someone with a case of social anxiety, I've found them to be a blessing.

RPers, from what I've seen, participate in most of the things non-RPers do, although it's not always as much of a priority as you might find on other shard types. They generally don't RP in the middle of a dungeon or warfront though because everything is usually too fast paced (although some RP guilds may RP in a dungeon with a full guild group for the fun of it).

Being on an RP shard has its own set of rules, one of the most important being not griefing RPers. Too often they are ridiculed and looked down upon for simply playing the game "differently", and there are a lot of misconceptions. Although you don't have to RP on an RP shard, it's always encouraged. It's designed to be a haven for those who like to take the game a little deeper than stats and spreadsheets. Take that away, and it's just another PvE shard.

My advice is to roll a toon on the RP shard and test the waters. Get a feel for the overall community. And, if the mood strikes you, try out a little RP. I still miss RPing my Forsaken Rogue on WoW. I started out with just a bare concept of the character and, before I knew it, I had a rich, detailed backstory. It was genuinely a lot of fun.
    My main reason to move to an RP server is exactly the same. I'm not heavily into role playing, but I want to be on a friendlier server. Your confirmation about it being a healthier and mature server is convincing enough. I'm not into alts and only have one main toon so think I'm just going to take the plunge and transfer. Thanks for the response!

Telaran

Oh one more question. As a guild leader with a guild dimension that has max tier 5 item limit, will it transfer with me as well as my guild bank unlocks?

Well, I play on Faeblight, which is the RP server. However, I think that it's just like any other PVE server. I can count the RP's I've seen going on in the open world on one hand. I started out years ago on Wolfsbane, then I took a break and when I came back I joined a guild who played on Faeb, so I've been here ever since (new guild though lol).

We do have a lot of nice people on Faeb and overall the community is pretty good. You will find the one or other jerk, like on every server, but so far, I'm pretty happy here.

And yes, your dimensions move with you from server to server. I've transferred a few alts with decorated starter dims and they remained intact.

+ Reply to Thread