• 1 Post By Kiwi
  • 2 Post By firebolts
  • 4 Post By Feendish
  • 1 Post By Jaedor
  • 2 Post By Agrona77
  • 2 Post By firebolts

Thread: So what's the point?

Default So what's the point?

So other then fluff what are the point of having a dimension? is there some sort of functionality I am not seeing? Or is just all about decorating and thats it no real purpose functionality wise?

Thanks!

Mostly just fluff. Something fun (for some people) to do.
    Just like PvP. Some love it, some hate it, some don't care.

There is one practical use that I have found for having one, though.
    If you're in the middle of questing, and need to go AFK, pop into your dimension and AFK in safety. When you come back, you can leave the dimension and go right back where you were questing.

Quote Originally Posted by Grodak View Post
    So other then fluff what are the point of having a dimension? is there some sort of functionality I am not seeing? Or is just all about decorating and thats it no real purpose functionality wise?

Thanks!
    I think I saw on one of these threads they've added rest xp to them, and there is dev talk of making them more functional. Outside of that, there's no functionality to the main game currently, no. But as I was tired of the main game, dimension building replaced it. My perspective became more like "does killing that boss give me a cool dimension item? Then what's the point". Creating imaginative spaces was far more challenging than following the correct dance moves in a raid. Or killing the same schmo's over and over in warfronts.

It's all perspective. As long as you're having fun, that's the point.

Dims on Greybriar: izydoesit- Fus Ro Dah / freakyfreak- River Gods / amorica- Izy n Sons
    Ideas worth trying. *Please take them and make them even better.*

RIFT Fan Site Operator

With Rested XP added as well as Achievements the point of Dimensions before 2.3 was to fire up those creative juices and technical minds and see what you could do with the same items and spaces everyone has-the challenge is the point of Dimensions for me .

Guild dimensions are also a great project for guilds to get together and do then host events for social and dueling reasons.

After 2.3 the vast array of new items via loyalty and credits is mind blowing and I highly recommend testing and honing skills for all the competitions out there bought to the Dimension Community by many generous Rifters for the bigger and better reasons yet to come as Trion overcome technical issues to make Dimensions even more awesome.

Oh and for the ladies/gents - whatever is your preference :P

Dimensions have all been well put with this issue already but, I'd like to add my input it's been stated simply, I do it because... IT MAKES ME HAPPY!........... =o oh and you can put some of your achievement items in it to show off as well =) thanks=)

=0I'd tell any one who hasn't tried it to try it be for you dish on it then ask for help if you need it not troll other dimension makes in chat like some people=o who shall not be named on my shard=P
    Last edited by firebolts; 07-02-2013 at 08:07 AM.

RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar

While I would wish for some greater functionality in dimensions, there are a number of reasons why I build and like it:

1. I like to do it. I enjoy looking at a finished dimension, I enjoy the creative process, I enjoy the actual building and rebuilding and cursing, tearing down, and building again. I get a kick out of peoples' reactions when they come into something I made and just stand there for a second to take it all in.

2. In real life, I do not have the skill set to recreate the Hagia Sophia or the money to go digging around ruined cities, and I like luxury and electricity too much to have an epic log cabin deep in frozen woods.

3. I greatly enjoy the dimension community, whether they build, build for RP, or just appreciate the works of others and choose not to build for themselves.

4. It's a fantastic artistic expression for those of us who perhaps aren't very artsy. My job is very linear and technical, and the environment is very structured. Dimensions allow me to be both artistic and creative.

5. I got sick of raiding and the associated drama. I PvP like a 10 year old girl--and the 10 year old would probably win. Dimensions are semi-competitive and we all help make each other better.
    Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel

Baradara@Greybriar

What Feen said ^.
    The Road Less Traveled, Hypnotique, Hero's Quest: Belly of the Beast, Avalon, Doubleohhseven's Avatar v2.0, Promenade Penthouse, Hero's Quest: Sleeping Beauty, Mabhe's Quadradream, Everwinter, Karthan Paradise, Halls of Intoxication, Court of Shadows, Dreamscapes, Lost in Wonderland, Hero’s Quest: Hidden Canyon, Bywater, Sanguine Summer
    Greybriar Dimension Geek

My mind has always thought up worlds of wonder. A teacher once told me that I have TOO much imagination... to which I say... bollocks! There IS no thing as too much imagination.

In all the years, playing games, I do love to whack the bad guy over the head with my sword, but I can also spent hours and hours decorating my homes.

Then along comes Rift with its dimensions and I feel like I have found Player Home Heaven!!!

It's a HUGE creative outlet and you don't just have a home you slip into and place a couch and desk, but a WHOLE area to fill with YOUR vision of what your character's home should look like!

Have you visited some dimensions? OMG the things these amazing, creative people come up with will boggle the mind! Seriously, you think you are in Telara, the next moment you are on Tatooine or in a Quidditch arena, or you are transported back in time to visit one of the ancient wonders, like a Mayan Temple or the Haiga Sophia or you are stumbling over the ruined remains of Atlanis!

Dimensions are places filled with wonder... and that's the point (at least for me!)

Oh, well I would love to be able to fish in my dims! LOL
    Last edited by Agrona77; 07-03-2013 at 10:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agrona77 View Post
    My mind has always thought up worlds of wonder. A teacher once told me that I have TOO much imagination... to which I say... bollocks! There IS no thing as too much imagination.

In all the years, playing games, I do love to whack the bad guy over the head with my sword, but I can also spent hours and hours decorating my homes.

Then along comes Rift with its dimensions and I feel like I have found Player Home Heaven!!!

It's a HUGE creative outlet and you don't just have a home you slip into and place a couch and desk, but a WHOLE area to fill with YOUR vision of what your character's home should look like!

Have you visited some dimensions? OMG the things these amazing, creative people come up with will boggle the mind! Seriously, you think you are in Telara, the next moment you are on Tatooine or in a Quidditch arena, or you are transported back in time to visit one of the ancient wonders, like a Mayan Temple or the Haiga Sophia or you are stumbling over the ruined remains of Atlanis!

Dimensions are places filled with wonder... and that's the point (at least for me!)

Oh, well I would love to be able to fish in my dims! LOL

ok, I couldn't help my self after you said this^ =)...>>>
    Albert Einstein said.
    “Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.”
    Just so felt like saying that when your thing about your teacher came out. =)

+ Reply to Thread