Like Tree12Likes
  • 3 Post By xanduin246
  • 2 Post By xanduin246
  • 3 Post By Caelthas
  • 3 Post By xanduin246
  • 1 Post By Geriko

Thread: Stairs and Circular Buildings

Default Stairs and Circular Buildings

I need help finding an item that can act as either stairs or a ramp, that fits along the inner edge of a circular building. I've looked all over the store for something like this, but everything I find that's curved is also flat, so it doesn't work well as a ramp.

Anyone have any ideas? If it helps here's a screenshot of the interior.

Stairs and Circular Buildings-2013-06-30_150909.jpg

RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar

I think that's something you might have to make with building blocks. To get any of the stairs or current ramps to curve with the contours, you'd probably have to make them so small you couldn't then walk up them.

That structure shape is amazing.
    Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel

Baradara@Greybriar

I was afraid I'd need to use building blocks.. gonna destroy the item count. Maybe I can find something in marble that will look alright.

Thank you, I'll check back every now and then, and if I find an item that does work I'll post in case others are having the problem.

For future people who might do a forum search for something like this; the best item I've found is the Necropolis Arch, but it has an issue of having a lumpy bit at the end that interrupts the flow.

But I've decided to abandon the project for now. On top of the issue of not being able to actually ascend the tower with decent looking items I've run into an alignment issue near the top that required me to tear it all down. Will rebuild it if there's ever a curved ramp/staircase item.

For anyone curious what it looked like from the outside, this is it:

http://i.imgur.com/irA9eby.jpg

RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar

Jeebus, that's a lot of arches. Sorry to hear that you had to pull it down, I would have loved to have seen it in person. Hopefully, some sort of curving stair will come in the future so you bring that masterpiece to life.
    Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel

Baradara@Greybriar

Yea, that looks really cool. Unfortunately, I just always make spiral staircases out of hundreds of poles. But it looks like you would need several hundreds for something on that scale.
    Last edited by Maddori; 06-30-2013 at 08:47 PM.
    Lils@Greybriar

65 Rogue/Dimension Addict

Quote Originally Posted by xanduin246 View Post
    For anyone curious what it looked like from the outside, this is it:

http://i.imgur.com/irA9eby.jpg
    OMG this left me speechless!!!!!!!! What an amazing tower and you TORE it down?

I sure hope you will re-build it again, maybe not as tall, so you can fit a winding staircase in the center without blowing up your item count! I definitely want to see that tower!

Quote Originally Posted by xanduin246 View Post
    I've run into an alignment issue near the top that required me to tear it all down. http://i.imgur.com/irA9eby.jpg

Do I get a refund on my Penthouse?

Grrr. The Donald won't ever let me hear the end of this. How I taunted him that I beat him to that purchase...

Quote Originally Posted by Agrona77 View Post
    OMG this left me speechless!!!!!!!! What an amazing tower and you TORE it down?

I sure hope you will re-build it again, maybe not as tall, so you can fit a winding staircase in the center without blowing up your item count! I definitely want to see that tower!
    Thank you. I'll definitely rebuild it if they make circular stairs/ramps, but as is it's pretty hard to get it to line up right at the top by nature of the item I used (Necropolis Arch, for those who want to take a shot at something like this), and not worth it if there's no decent looking way to actually ascend the tower.

Any item that actually does work, like say planks, requires such a high item count that I wouldn't really be able to do what I want with it in the end.

The height thing is something I considered, but if I make it too short then it just looks stumpy. In the picture it actually goes above the height limit of the dimension.
    Last edited by xanduin246; 07-01-2013 at 11:46 AM.

Plane Touched

I've started to build a tower just like this but not as tall. I wanted to make sure it was large enough for effect but still manageable enough to decorate it appropriately. For the stairs I just used the premade sets from the store and built it so the staircase operates similarly to the stairs you'd find in your average skyscraper.

While the towers skeleton is a cylinder I've made the interior walls square, so far it's going quite well and I hope one day Trion will give us a spiral stair case used in the same fashion. Quite a few of the player made staircases that I've come across on my shard either function great but don't look all that nice or they look amazing and nearly don't function at all.

So with the pre made stairs I found a type of middle ground.

Will put screen shots up when there is something worth looking at!
    "What is the difference between a "great man" and a "hero"?
    A great man fights until he falls
    A hero gets back up"

+ Reply to Thread