• 3 Post By Akhor
  • 1 Post By Jaedor
  • 2 Post By Dreamshifter
  • 3 Post By Feendish
  • 1 Post By Ellekat

Thread: Contest Thoughts

RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar

Default Contest Thoughts

With the Three Springs competition coming up and folks railing about the unfairness of the +1 system (of which I have done my fair share, lol), I've been mulling over the idea of sponsoring a contest for public places, with REX (20$) as the prize, so the contest would be open to ALL shards.

I'm using this post as a gauge of interest in such a contest, either in participating or assisting with judging. If the interest to compete is there, I would post rules and dates no later than Tuesday. If interested, you can post on the forums, PM me in game on Baradara, or send me an in game mail to Baradara@Faeblight.

Some preliminary exclusions: puzzles, mazes and guild halls. The theme is parks (amusement and other, such as carnivals), libraries, museums, even entire towns, and including inns and taverns. I would like to see different size categories: i.e, starter dimensions (such as Sanguine Shores), small (Breach Chamber equivalent), medium (Kestrel's and Faen's size range) and large (such as Shoreward Island, Dormant Core and the loyalty dimensions). The prize applies to each size category, with a limit of one entry per account. If any of the entered dimensions has won a previous contest, a new entry would be required (spread the wealth).

I would appreciate the thoughts from the community, and would love to see this contest come to life!
    Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel

Baradara@Greybriar

I'd definitely be interested in a contest like this. I love these community driven competitions!
    Lils@Greybriar

65 Rogue/Dimension Addict

I love the community contests as well, since players have more time to explore each dimension and there are clear entries rather than just anyone that makes the top voted. Since I'm busy building my guild dim I wouldn't enter this time but I would love to help with judging if it's needed I'm looking forward to seeing how this goes!

I don't generally compete since it seems pretty pointless (lol) but I'd give this a go depending mostly on timing since I have this week off. And I, too, love the way competitions get our creative and collective juices flowing.
    The Road Less Traveled, Hypnotique, Hero's Quest: Belly of the Beast, Avalon, Doubleohhseven's Avatar v2.0, Promenade Penthouse, Hero's Quest: Sleeping Beauty, Mabhe's Quadradream, Everwinter, Karthan Paradise, Halls of Intoxication, Court of Shadows, Dreamscapes, Lost in Wonderland, Hero’s Quest: Hidden Canyon, Bywater, Sanguine Summer
    Greybriar Dimension Geek

Rift Disciple

Always glad to see others running these kinds of contests. The Artisan's Guild ran one a while back, and while I'll never put myself through that again (the judging part), and I won't be entering as a contestant, I though I'd contribute as someone who has kind of done what you are doing, and may have some helpful advice.

First, make sure you've thought of *every possible issue* before you start, and have rules in place for when things go wrong. Will you allow multiple dims by the same person? How about commissioned works? How can people apply for the contest (website, in game, other)?

Second, make sure any of the other judges are on the same page. Clearly stated rules are essential for this.

I hope there is enough interest to run it, and wish I had the motivation to build something for it. Good luck with it!

RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamshifter View Post
    Always glad to see others running these kinds of contests. The Artisan's Guild ran one a while back, and while I'll never put myself through that again (the judging part), and I won't be entering as a contestant, I though I'd contribute as someone who has kind of done what you are doing, and may have some helpful advice.

First, make sure you've thought of *every possible issue* before you start, and have rules in place for when things go wrong. Will you allow multiple dims by the same person? How about commissioned works? How can people apply for the contest (website, in game, other)?

Second, make sure any of the other judges are on the same page. Clearly stated rules are essential for this.

I hope there is enough interest to run it, and wish I had the motivation to build something for it. Good luck with it!
    Thank you for the tips. I remember the contest on Faeblight (even though I was still on Greybriar at the time), and I'm sure there were plenty of headaches to go around during the running of it.

So far (and this is still the first day of my intention), the response has been positive. I need to make a few final adjustments to my list of criteria and the contest should open as scheduled.

I think those contests sponsored and promoted by the player base are the best kind, and I hope that this continues now. I'll admit to being a little nervous about bringing up the subject, but I'd also like to thank Xenoheart of Greybriar who ran the contest on the PTS, which inspired me to want to do this.
    Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel

Baradara@Greybriar

I think this is a wonderful idea! I love your theme--it should make for some very interesting entries. From the one contest I was involved in in EQ2 I remember there were three main areas of judging: originality of concept, overall aesthetics and workmanship. Of course you can come up with what seems best to you. I'd be happy to donate something towards prizes also.

+ Reply to Thread