+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree285Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Contest to win Three Springs Dimension

Default Contest to win Three Springs Dimension

I didn't see that anyone had mentioned it yet. Check this out.
    http://community.riftgame.com/en/201...ngs-dimension/

Too bad it is by weekly plus ones but whatever. Good way to get the new dim free and early!
    Guild ~ Creative Outlet

And just where have you been young lady Ive missed you. Happy to see your posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitasia View Post
    And just where have you been young lady Ive missed you. Happy to see your posting.
    I am here every day and I pop in game occasionally. I still think the prices suck so I am reading books, running, and still packing my house for the move. I also rented the first two seasons of Downton Abbey which I heard is good and I am going to watch that while I pack. Oh, also went to see the new Star Trek movie for Father's Day with my hubby and son and it ROCKS! Even if you aren't into the old Star Trek, it is a great sci-fi, action movie.

So...that's where I have been! lol But yeah, I read the boards every day and the check the blogs to see what's new and what everyone is up to!

Oh yeah, if anyone is going to be trying to win this (I know people will), post here. I have voters on every NA shard that can go visiting and all of my "main" characters are on Deepwood.
    Last edited by Pochi; 06-27-2013 at 08:12 PM.
    Guild ~ Creative Outlet

So guilds won't get this dimension right?

There has been a guild on seastone that has been #1 weekly and overall forever because they make alts, hit +1 rinse repeat and it irritates the crap out of me

the next 4 are all solo dimensions trying to catch up that are absolutely amazing that deserve this so I'm hoping it won't count for guilds
    RGI@Deepwood --- <-Hello Kitty->
    [A Stick]
    King of Conquest

Impossible to win because of the stupid vote system in witch the top rated dimension will earn more and more +1, and the others earn nothing.
    Guild: La main occulte on Brisesol.
    French translator of Tinker Tools.
    Owner of the Telara Rail Road: 14 Train Station are currently open to visit

shame some of the best ones ive ever seen have hardly any votes at all
    who took my names!

I have to concur with the other posters about the failings inherent in the system of voting. As much as I love the idea that dimensions are getting more competitions like this, I really don't think that this is a fair way of deciding who gets the coveted keys for several reasons:

1. People will use their alts to +1 their dimensions. With the use of shard transfers, or merely deleting alts and making new ones (time consuming but possible) a great deal of instant points can be made.

2. People in large, supportive guilds will have their guild members +1 on their dimensions. It is also possible that those people in their guild will also use their alts to +1 that dimension. This creates a massive influx of points to a dimension whether it is great or not, while people who are in small guilds, or do not have a guild will have no such benefits. They might have the best dimension in the world, but you won't see it on the list.

3. People randomly looking at dimensions will tend only to look through maybe 3-5 dimensions before moving onto doing something else. This means that dimensions that are already the highest on the list will get far more views from people than any others, and therefore their chances of getting more +1 is rather high. This also means that those that start the beginning of the week near the top of the list are likely to stay there for the entire week.

4. The other ways of trying to encourage viewers to look (and hopefully +1 ) your dimension is to advertise it. I remember seeing a great influx of players spamming chat channels, talking in towns, posting on forums, and even whispering or mailing in-game to get more votes during the last competition. If they only got +1 vote out of 10 they advertise to, it is more than worth their while because each vote gets them nearer the top of the list, and therefore more likely to stay there. This behaviour encourages spamming and that isn't nice for anyone to have to look at.

Overall, I feel that the way that people can manipulate the system makes this competition both unfair and pretty annoying to players, since the reward will go to the person who likely manipulates the system the best, rather than the people who actually have the best dimensions.

With the current system of voting, I am not sure how to make this any better. Only allowing one character per-account to vote would be a start, but it wouldn't stop people from getting large guilds to vote for them, or from spamming. Perhaps other people have some better suggestions.
    Harrier the Corgimancer

a better sort list would be item count

a dimension with 0 - 2 items is not going to be better thn one with 2000

visit my dimension dammit!!!

lol
    Last edited by Pixel Monkey; 06-28-2013 at 12:34 AM.
    who took my names!

Ascendant

Love that there is another contest( thanks kumberlin). But I hate that it's based on plus 1s

Well this competition just hastened my timescale on my Slum dime so by the end of the weekend that will be completed First time in a long time that I have caught something like this so hopefully people will come check it out when it is done.

Whoever aims to win on each shard though...huge amounts of good luck and congratulations to each and every winner
    http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3581812&dateline=1371  999004
    Zaviel - EU (Argent survivor) - Dimensions - O-RP Moonshade Outpost - Hudori, O-RP Tempest Slums - Taryth, O-RP Shimmersand Outpost - Dancingmoon. Death Mountain - Dannsadh.
    Co-GL - The Clandestine (Rift chapter)

RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar

I don't necessarily think voting with alts is that much of a concern, because you still have to level that alt to 10 to be able to vote and that gets tedious after a while. Will someone be that determined to win a key? Very possibly, maybe even likely.

What I'm already dreading is the spam on the channels, or the attempts to buy votes as a thinly veiled reward for something, or even to blatantly offer to pay plat for votes (I think most of us have seen this before).

We all realize that advertisement is almost a must to be able to get any attention to a dimension, that doesn't mean we have to like it, or even that we have to do it, and a contest based on votes will either mean people break out of their comfort zones to advertise or they just won't bother with it (I will fall into this category).

Debates about fairness aside, I think it would be constructive to offer some alternatives to the +1 system for purposes like this. I've heard suggestions of quests for random dimensions, random player polls and more. The player base has demonstrated time and again that we generate awesome ideas to improve play, perhaps we could do so again.

At any rate, for those participating, I wish everyone the best of luck, and congratulations to those who win their keys!
    Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel

Baradara@Greybriar

Quote Originally Posted by quietscribe View Post

1. People will use their alts to +1 their dimensions. With the use of shard transfers, or merely deleting alts and making new ones (time consuming but possible) a great deal of instant points can be made.
    Uh, no? Pretty sure you have to be level 15 or so to vote. That can take a couple hours per +1, hardly worth the time.

With all of the Rift Store advertisements on that page, I can't help but see this as a "buy more Dimension stuff" marketing ploy rather than a showcase of architectural talents. Not that there's anything wrong with that. It's a valid strategy. It's just sort of really... blatant... you know?

Quote Originally Posted by Dyeus View Post
    Uh, no? Pretty sure you have to be level 15 or so to vote. That can take a couple hours per +1, hardly worth the time.
    Level 10. And, honestly, it never ceases to amaze me the lengths people will go to to show off their e-peen. I can see someone rolling alts (along with friends/guildies) in order to pull that off.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyonyx View Post
    With all of the Rift Store advertisements on that page, I can't help but see this as a "buy more Dimension stuff" marketing ploy rather than a showcase of architectural talents. Not that there's anything wrong with that. It's a valid strategy. It's just sort of really... blatant... you know?
    Agree with that sentiment.

I was planning on making a macro to advertise my Atlantis dim, but might wait until after the contest is over. I rather concentrated on my newest project - Kelari Village on Shoreward Isle. LOL

Well, I need to fish a lot to get some barges first.

RIFT Fan Site Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Dancingmoon View Post
    Whoever aims to win on each shard though...huge amounts of good luck and congratulations to each and every winner
    Absolutely adore your forums tag & attitudes

Nice to see you Kumberlin, I'm in your neighborhood now was looking around for you now we know where you are at, enjoy!

With so many wonderful competitions that go on in our Dimension community this one is different for sure with the +1 aspect but I look forward to supporting as many as possible. We all got work to do! Have fun thinking of creative ways that suit you and your game style for plus ones remember it's weekly so we all stand as much chance as each other those days immediately leading up to July 9th.

Thank you everybody that puts on competitions for our Dimension Community and just a heads up to those inquiring Guild Dimensions are also included in this competition.

All the best.
    Last edited by Kiwi; 06-28-2013 at 08:15 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast