• 3 Post By Agrona77
  • 2 Post By Caelthas
  • 3 Post By Feendish
  • 2 Post By Indicam
  • 2 Post By Foxfire

Thread: Breaking away from the norm

Soulwalker

Default Breaking away from the norm

I see so many "Houses" and buildings in dimensions...It is rather quite dull. I actually broke out of the practice of +1 people's dimensions if they simply put a house in and decorated it...unless it is something pretty amazing.

So in the name of creativity I decided to do something a little bit different. It is still under construction however..I will round out of spaces before it is actually complete...however that isnt the point of the dimension I created. It is more of a way of showing people that they can create many more things than just a house with a few rooms and a garden.

So I would like to present my unfinished project...I feel it is completed enough that it will give some insight as to what is actually possible to do!

It is in fast a massive star destroyer. Darth Vaders personal star destroyer. the basic shell is there...mostly completed...It would be fantastic if they would double or triple the ammount of items you could have in a dimension...so much more could be done then!

Anyways if any of you are interested in something sort of nerdy but pretty cool have a peek in!

DImension Realm - Wolfsbane
    Creator - Swaggrivated
    Name -Darth Vaders Devastator

As soon as our server comes up I will gladly check it out, I can't wait. My dimensions (Dormant Core and Shoreward Isle are still under intense construction. I love checking out other peoples dimensions for a bit of inspiration. Add my toon, Xevayne.
    Last edited by Xevayne; 06-26-2013 at 09:44 AM.
    (Mage)Xevayne@Wolfsbane - (Warrior)Xaveyne@Wolfsbane - Intel Core i7 7700k CPU - 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Memory - EVGA GTX 1070 SSC - Corsair HX1000 PSU - Corsair 750D Case - Leader of Lethargic Gaming Team/Guild - Like Our Page http://www.facebook.com/lethargicgaming

Quote Originally Posted by Zumie View Post
    I see so many "Houses" and buildings in dimensions...It is rather quite dull. I actually broke out of the practice of +1 people's dimensions if they simply put a house in and decorated it...unless it is something pretty amazing.

So in the name of creativity I decided to do something a little bit different. It is still under construction however..I will round out of spaces before it is actually complete...however that isnt the point of the dimension I created. It is more of a way of showing people that they can create many more things than just a house with a few rooms and a garden.

So I would like to present my unfinished project...I feel it is completed enough that it will give some insight as to what is actually possible to do!

It is in fast a massive star destroyer. Darth Vaders personal star destroyer. the basic shell is there...mostly completed...It would be fantastic if they would double or triple the ammount of items you could have in a dimension...so much more could be done then!

Anyways if any of you are interested in something sort of nerdy but pretty cool have a peek in!

DImension Realm - Wolfsbane
    Creator - Swaggrivated
    Name -Darth Vaders Devastator
    I can not wait to see people's creativity in dimensions. One thing I loved about eq2 was visiting people's house and the amazing things that would create , just by stacking things on top of each other in a beautiful manner. I do not have that kind of creativity , but more power to you and I might come see it when it is all complete.

Soulwalker

My creativity is a little ... Lacking. I bought the Temple of the Abandoned Dimension, and now I'm at a loss on what to do with it. The main stained glass window area I was gonna use as a trophy room of sorts, with the hunt statues and dragon motes and things, and use the Empyrean assault pads from strongholds for jumping around, kinda like a floating showroom thing. Problem is, I'm more broke than a newbie fresh out of terminus. And even if I wasn't, I have no clue what to do with the rest of the space of the dimension. I also don't have the rep for a lot of the items I'd like to use. Now I just go around looking at other people's ideas to see if I can find some inspiration, though no one on hailol seems to have any temple dimensions. Other than me and one or two other people anyway.

There are quite a few dimensions with a Star Wars theme. People have build part of the Death Star, and destroyers and even Ewoks.

There are also dimensions with themes like Skyrim, Harry Potter, Amusement Parks, Atlantis etc etc etc

If you believe that dimensions only consists of decorated houses, then you haven't really looked around these forums or visited enough dimensions on all servers. ;)

Post some pictures and let us know whey you are done, so we can check out your dim!

I tried to break up my own house building rut by making a skate park and a Potter themed dimension. Houses still seem to get more recognition, but I dig it when people break up the norm with something inspired.

RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caelthas View Post
    I tried to break up my own house building rut by making a skate park and a Potter themed dimension. Houses still seem to get more recognition, but I dig it when people break up the norm with something inspired.
    I am not a fan of house-building simply because it's not an area of strength for me. However, I think the intent behind dimensions was to be home, and that is what a lot of people look for. There are, however, some truly incredible dimensions that have nothing to do with houses. Board game re-enactments of Clue and Trivial Pursuit on Wolfsbane, vehicles, space ships, circus slides, puzzles and mazes and who can forget Shrine of the Griffon on Deepwood, with that massive rock structure, or Shao Dra with the statue of Shiva made from Dusken spires? I love seeing unusual structures, or wild jungles, or cool themes that break from the norm, but I also have seen some truly inspiring and beautiful houses as well.
    Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel

Baradara@Greybriar

I have to say, I have been a little inspired by this thread. Usually I try to build functional home based dimensions with upmarket styling, but this time I have bought Shoreward isle. The plan is a completely enclosed dimension that incorporates a good old London tube station with a street outside. The buildings will most probably have to be fakes, although I will likely stick in a pub on the corner (every street needs a pub).

Sadly before it can get anywhere near completion I need to farm as if my life depended on it for a while as to get the kind of look I need new building blocks are essential and they ain't cheap. I have barely built escalators and the station fascade so far and I see the money counting down faster than a lvl 20 somethings health pool in a GHR
    New players feel free to use this code for free stuff!
    NJY2ML7PDHKELDM3MKZW

RIFT Fan Site Operator

Quote Originally Posted by R Kneesocks View Post
    I bought the Temple of the Abandoned Dimension, and now I'm at a loss on what to do with it. The main stained glass window area I was gonna use as a trophy room of sorts, with the hunt statues and dragon motes and things, and use the Empyrean assault pads from strongholds for jumping around, kinda like a floating showroom thing.
    I believe I might have the only Dimension fansite without Star Wars or a Sci-Fi dimension featured though I could be wrong. At one stage every site had one in some shape or form so it seemed "the norm" to me.

At the top of this page is a resource post of other brilliant sites that showcase dimensions but at this link you'll see huge and tiny house & non house creations of epic proportions I had a buzz exploring with those who created them: Click for: Dream Dimensions 101

And don't despair Kneesock's! Most of us started with smallish projects or vendor & crafted item projects as we farmed for other items via planarite, rifts, dungeons, pvp, rep or raid. While you're getting that rep use that time to think "inside the box" or fishing is a great way to zone out for ideas. Many people google, think of places they would like to go or have been, look at pics, books etc The world is your oyster to make something to compliment your style and current idea which is fine.
    Last edited by Kiwi; 06-29-2013 at 01:07 AM.

Have you seen "That's no moon, it's a fat dwarf!" and the Jedi Temple recently posted? Lavish Lyx also has an Imperial Walker model, and that was way back for Joy of Dimensions. Pretty sure Addiction's Caer Kholum is a Death Star.

On the shards homes may get the most +1s, but I think many of the regular posters here have created far more non-home dimensions. Digging in the forums should yield a good harvest of touring, including temples, museums, theaters, arenas, parks, markets, ships (space and water), other games, and magitech/sci-fi. On Faeblight, inns and taverns are also in abundance, many tagged for RP.

Default Dimensions are something for every taste and style...

I just thought I'd throw my point of view out there too, as someone who, so far, has only built the dwelling types of dimensions. Player built structures are what I have always been drawn to, and what I look for. I have seen some pretty amazing ones, that definitely deserve a +1 for all the creativity and hard work that was put into them. And while I prefer this type of dimension, I will also give a +1 to ANY type of dimension that shows the same kind of creativity and hard work.

I have been very hesitant to experiment much with the new things simply because I cannot afford it monetarily. So far I have been able to do some updates to my Twilight Plaza dimension that I am pretty pleased with, although I'm not finished with it just yet I am still hoping that the cost of at least some of the things will eventually come down to a reasonable level. But in the meantime, I wish all the best to everyone who loves dimension building, and applaud all of you who can think of such amazing things that I have not so far, been able to
    Last edited by Foxfire; 06-29-2013 at 11:20 AM.
    Dimensions on Faeblight:
    Gatekeeper's Christmas Cottage, Faerwood Cottage, Sunrise Cottage, Moonglow Cottage (Nym)
    Ozark Mountain Christmas ( Aedrexa)
    Dream Weaver's Palace (Morgeanna)

+ Reply to Thread