+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Roof problem :(.

Default Roof problem :(.

Hey guys i finally decided to buy Moonshade and i like it . The thing is i started to build a small house but i have some problems with the roof.

I made it something like an L form and where you can see the red circle i cannot add roof without either seeing the sky or having it to intersect with another part of the roof and it looks rather bad while being inside the house.

Also i don't want to add a ceiling and then add the roof because i want to have more height.

I think Trion should have added an inner roof corner.

Thanks and i am hoping that someone more creative than me will enlighten me .

Roof problem :(.-csa.jpg

Soulwalker

You're going to have to size down and use more pieces for the corner instead of just two. I can't remember and I'm at work so I can't check but isn't there corner roof pieces? If there isn't another thing you could also do is a dormer which I've seen in eves IRL.
    Last edited by Szarwyn; 06-26-2013 at 01:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Szarwyn View Post
    You're going to have to size down and use more pieces for the corner instead of just two. I can't remember and I'm at work so I can't check but isn't there corner roof pieces? If there isn't another thing you could also do is a dormer which I've seen in eves IRL.
    No the corner one is not really corner it has 3 sides. Something like this |_| .
    I will think about a dormer and figure a way to build one.
    Thanls

Why don't you push the smaller roof further away and build a hallway or skylight (using some of the windows maybe), connecting the two sections?

Also, google images for L-shaped roofs. They usually always intersect.
    Last edited by Agrona77; 06-26-2013 at 04:23 AM.

Yes but in RL you cut them . In Rift you cannot cut unused parts and it looks really ugly when they intersect. But will research more on the L shaped house

This is why the only house I've built in a dimension ended up with a flat roof. I wish I had some words of wisdom for you but sadly I don't. Good luck with your design!
    Shiadra, Shiasha, Facemoth, and Fimhira
    <Wandering Idiot>
    Dimensions on Deepwood: Bandit Hideout and Silverwood Playground

I have a similar issue with using the new roof panels, where the intersection between them has an ugly gap that would never work in RL. I plugged the triangular hole with a triangle piece of something else (wood beam I think) but it's just wrong and I don't see any way to fix it without completely remodeling the house. When I scaled up the roof components to see how far I'd have to take it in order to make the intersection work, the roof hit the ground.
    The Road Less Traveled, Hypnotique, Hero's Quest: Belly of the Beast, Avalon, Doubleohhseven's Avatar v2.0, Promenade Penthouse, Hero's Quest: Sleeping Beauty, Mabhe's Quadradream, Everwinter, Karthan Paradise, Halls of Intoxication, Court of Shadows, Dreamscapes, Lost in Wonderland, Hero’s Quest: Hidden Canyon, Bywater, Sanguine Summer
    Greybriar Dimension Geek

You could try roofing them separately and parallel. You would end up with a trough between the two peaks, which would be bad in RL, but a dimension doesn't have to worry about shedding precipitation or snow load.

Of course if you make one part of the L have more stories or just taller in general the parallel roofing would make more sense and you could save a roof corner by having the lower U intersect the already vertical wall neatly.

Quote Originally Posted by Crows View Post
    Hey guys i finally decided to buy Moonshade and i like it . The thing is i started to build a small house but i have some problems with the roof.

I made it something like an L form and where you can see the red circle i cannot add roof without either seeing the sky or having it to intersect with another part of the roof and it looks rather bad while being inside the house.

Also i don't want to add a ceiling and then add the roof because i want to have more height.

I think Trion should have added an inner roof corner.

Thanks and i am hoping that someone more creative than me will enlighten me .

Attachment 11709
    Have you tried using the triangular pieces, available in different stone forms? You could angle them to act as an eavesdrop.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaishevik View Post
    Have you tried using the triangular pieces, available in different stone forms? You could angle them to act as an eavesdrop.
    Yes i tried . And you know what? I gave up and i decided to rebuild without the L shape because i want it to be perfect no spaces, no gaps, nothing out of place

Any one tried just setting it so the inside over laps and then making a inside roof cover so you dont see it=o? just a thought for next time=o and I may have missed that some one said that so sorry if you did and I just missed it=o=}..

I posted this problem when I was playing with the roof pieces on PTS, here are some of the pics I took with different roof options that might work for you.

Single story with roof pieces poking in slightly:
    Roof problem :(.-2013-06-05_224403.jpgRoof problem :(.-2013-06-05_224234.jpg

Double story with mossy brick triangles to fill in gaps:
    Roof problem :(.-2013-06-08_222347.jpgRoof problem :(.-2013-06-08_222147.jpg

Also I used triangles on my cabin's greystone tile roof to give it a better fit with less protrusion:
    Roof problem :(.-2013-06-30_003025.jpgRoof problem :(.-2013-06-30_002949.jpg

Thanks for the great feedback! But see i don't really like the way in the 3rd and 4th picture the way the stone wall looks. It's not from the same material as the rest of the roof .
    I am picky because i want it to look really good

I think if you use the way the roof was put on in the second picture and apply that to the fourth picture it might work out better.

It IS irritating that none of the building blocks match the modular pieces very well.
    Last edited by Treble; 07-01-2013 at 04:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crows View Post
    Thanks for the great feedback! But see i don't really like the way in the 3rd and 4th picture the way the stone wall looks. It's not from the same material as the rest of the roof .
    I am picky because i want it to look really good
    Yes, this is one of the requests I made in my original post. That building block was the closest I could find so I was using it as an example. Feendish suggested covering it with vines to make the difference less obvious. What we need, in addtion to more variety in roof sections, are triangles for both indoor and outdoor walls.
    Last edited by Akhor; 07-01-2013 at 10:05 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast