+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Kiwi
  • 2 Post By Wonk
  • 1 Post By Kiwi
  • 1 Post By Feendish

Thread: Building outside boundaries - will it cause crashes/harm dimensions?

RIFT Fan Site Operator

Default Building outside boundaries - will it cause crashes/harm dimensions?

Every dimension has a water like boundary which have been decorated and items placed behind them as static points of interest depending on how it renders in etc it's come up in public chats and is causing some commotion wether we are able to build behind the boundaries to actively use for RP etc

To save any further upheaval could we please have an official answer as to whether we are able to build behind the boundaries and invite people into these spaces? Is it a no go zone, is their any penalty if doing so? Will it harm the future development of dimensions in anyway which is perhaps what concerns most people who oppose building where a boundary suggests one shouldn't?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Kiwi; 06-22-2013 at 05:48 PM.

Soulwalker

No.
    1) The Bubble/Forcefield, as we'll refer to it, is not the actual map boundary.
    2) The actual map boundary is an invisible wall which will give you an item placement error and reject your attempt to place an item there. Ergo you cannot build beyond the actual map boundary.

The Bubble/Forcefield is not a map/item restricting entity. It's primary purpose is to corral focus on a geographic location's features and/or distance of travel limitation so that construction is immediately available for viewing by visiting parties. The actual maps vary significantly in their true size, based on their indoor/outdoor nature and parameters.

Moonshade, for example, has a view that goes on for miles it seems, and that's all loaded in the zone as soon as you get there. In contrast, there's a map or two, such as Breach Chamber of Empyrean Mill which are extremely small because there is no need to include an outdoor environment to set the tone in the distant views because there is no distant view. Also, because of this, if I'm not mistaken, those two zones don't have a perceivable Bubble/Forcefield other than back at their tunnel-like entrances. I don't know if you could get beyond those, I don't know if you'd want to. As I've stated, there's no map "beyond" those chambers, so you'd probably just run into the void, fall into nothingness and seconds later be reset at the entrance. You certainly couldn't build out there. Who knows how close the actual map border's collision box in with that particular scenario.

Fact of the matter is that as you go down the public list of dimensions and go sightseeing, you will constantly find people have place walls, trees, rocks, etc etc etc, beyond the bubble/forcefield, either to polish off the structure abutting it, or just to add to the scenery. It's quite clear that the purpose of the bubble is for player character avatar restricted movement, primarily for tourism purposes, because there is absolutely no evidence available to another supposition that those restrictions are for dimension appraisal evaluation purposes (No multiple scales of bubble available for purchase, keys for the same map but different bubble volume, etc).

As I mentioned, there are scenarios where that bubble is helpful, in cases where a map actually drops off into nothingness, and then it serves a purposes, but there are cases where the maps are entirely better served to customer satisfaction if the bubble is removed and the map's actual collision box is the primary restriction. In nearly all of my dimension experiences, the bubble has been an upset and an eyesore. It's functionality is not currently being expressed in the most customer satisfaction effectiveness possible and is due for refinement/upgrades. I look forward to that day. Meanwhile I look forward to seeing people's homes with trees sprouting up in the distance, that otherwise would not be there. I hope the insights and knowledge on the subject helps shine light on your inquiry.

Ascendant

Lisa said in a live stream once that they know people are doing it, but that they were not going to stop them. She said that any items placed outside the bubble may be lost and she cannot guarantee the safety of those items. Inside the bubble they've done all the testing to make sure everything is great, outside, you take your life (and your items) into your own hands, and if the world breaks, you wont be able to claim those items back.

Soulwalker

I should probably add a few facts for further consideration.

1) There's literally a skill or two in game that allows you to teleport straight through those bubbles. I've seen people do it, a lot, and I imagine if they're doing it outside of the bubbles/forcefields, then that could be quite exploitative, but there's no character gains in regards to doing it in Dimensions. Anyhow, fact, the developers put abilities in the game, and kept them there, that LET you go through the bubbles/forcefields.

2) I don't know when Dimensions were released, but fact is, the staff and developers of RIFT are NOT incompetent, and they're extremely hands on. If there was a critical error in Dimensions, they'd be shouting about it through the system voice, they'd be fixing it, etc. Fact, there is no outrcry from the public, there is no response from management, in regards to there being any form of Dimensions instability. That is said with the fact that there are at least hundreds of dimensions with items beyond the bubbles/forcefields, and there have been no reported issues in relation, that I have ever observed personally or via 3rd party relaying of experiences. A few maps have issues with people falling through floors, that's the only Dimension bug I know of other than the rather atrocious misplaced collision boxes of Corner Posts.

3) See #2. Building outside the boundaries has been done since the beginning. There have been no issues since the beginning.

I can only speak from personal experience, I've never seen it come up as a real issue before. The cave in my Kestrel dim is fairly close to a small hill/plateau and I didn't want it to appear disconnected from that hill even though it was outside the boundary. I pushed a few snowy rocks outside the boundary to connect them and the only problem I encountered was not being able to select them without finding them in the item list.

However I would not feel comfortable trying to physically leave the boundary with my toon, I'd rather keep items people are supposed to interact with inside (and mostly far away from) these boundaries.
    Last edited by Akhor; 06-22-2013 at 06:46 PM.

Soulwalker

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS1UPO7ZRKs

If this doesn't cause issues, and was apparently being developed for 2 months, then there's nothing that can bring down dimensions lol.. wow, just wow..

RIFT Fan Site Operator

Thanks Anneleigh and Akhor.
    Last edited by Kiwi; 06-23-2013 at 02:00 AM.

RIFT Fan Site Operator

Quote Originally Posted by TheDigitalDiamond View Post
    Fact of the matter is that as you go down the public list of dimensions and go sightseeing, you will constantly find people have place walls, trees, rocks, etc etc etc, beyond the bubble/forcefield, either to polish off the structure abutting it, or just to add to the scenery. It's quite clear that the purpose of the bubble is for player character avatar restricted movement, primarily for tourism purposes, because there is absolutely no evidence available to another supposition that those restrictions are for dimension appraisal evaluation purposes (No multiple scales of bubble available for purchase, keys for the same map but different bubble volume, etc)..
    Fact of the matter is INTERACTIVE conduct behind boundaries in dimensions have not been officially addressed because there hasn't really been a need to with the majority of the Dimension community applying common sense.

The original conversation created questions because a build is being done "for RP purposes", encouraging people to build behind boundaries and inviting people to come take a look behind the boundary where the build is.

The concerns were and still are if many people did this regularly would it have an effect on dimensions stability wise, would Trion penalize anyone in anyway for doing this and what would this actually mean if we were to all build behind the boundaries all of a sudden and interact in them?

Once more this is about having people take their chars behind the boundary and interact in those zones nothing less.
    Last edited by Kiwi; 06-23-2013 at 02:11 AM.

Here's my simple take... I see many using the area outside the bountaries, I would not; the boundary was placed there for a reason, what that exact reason is, still to be clarified by Trion. When Trion does clarify it might not be announced or broadcast, it may just be fixed, in which case all your items placed there could be lost... and who are you going to blame? You plan to write Trion and say "I warped through the boundaries and built a castle, can I please have my stuff that disappeared?"
    As the question of space becomes money, cause the bigger the dimensions the more they cost, combined with players attaining more space by questionable means could point to a quick and painful wakeup call for those who take space in what could be seen as being a weasel by Trion.
    Last edited by Wonk; 06-23-2013 at 10:43 AM.
    I Rift, therefore I am.

RIFT Fan Site Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Wonk View Post
    Here's my simple take... I see many using the area outside the bountaries, I would not; the boundary was placed there for a reason, what that exact reason is, still to be clarified by Trion. When Trion does clarify it might not be announced or broadcast, it may just be fixed, in which case all your items placed there could be lost... and who are you going to blame? You plan to write Trion and say "I warped through the boundaries and built a castle, can I please have my stuff that disappeared?"
    As the question of space becomes money, cause the bigger the dimensions the more they cost, combined with players attaining more space by questionable means could point to a quick and painful wakeup call for those who take space in what could be seen as being a weasel by Trion.
    Sounds like common sense to me fo sho, your name makes me grin.

RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wonk View Post

Totally agree with this, even if it's not a game breaking mechanic. I've gone outside the boundary by accident, and that's usually as a way for me to help define the boundary of the dimension itself. I don't write code, I don't particularly about the vagaries of writing code, I'm given a boundary by the game, and I'm going to stick with it.
    Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel

Baradara@Greybriar

+ Reply to Thread