• 3 Post By Pochi
  • 1 Post By Milyssa
  • 1 Post By Cameile
  • 3 Post By Charlice
  • 2 Post By Treble
  • 1 Post By Kitasia

Thread: Dimensions for Dummies

Default Dimensions for Dummies

Hi! I purchased my 1st dim a few weeks ago and was instantly addicted ;). By far, one of my favorite ways to relax in-game great job Trion! Anyhow...I have bought 3 more and none of them are done, LOL. In trying to fish up specific items, my bank was overflowing with exta dim items (like 20 coffins!). So, I had to get more dims to put them in, hehe. I build in one until I get stuck, then work on another. I've been following http://riftdreamdimensions.com/, http://thestylishradish.wordpress.com/, http://www.riftdimension.com/, (can't wait to see http://dimensionaddicts.com/) and have gotten so many helpful tips and tricks. I have found Toolbox to be invaluable and just learned about Magic Carpet. I have gotten stuck on general construction and thought I would ask the dimension community some questions about how they build structures.
    1. Do you plan it out, or just freehand it?
    2. Do you lay down the floor, then walls, then ceiling? Or something else? Or do you build one room at a time and connect them?
    3. How do you handle sinking items into walls so that they do not stick out the other side?
    4. Do you have any other suggestions for the dimensionally challenged?
    Thanks for taking the time. Hopefully your answers can help with my Dimension Block and overall noobishness.

RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cameile View Post
    2. Do you lay down the floor, then walls, then ceiling? Or something else? Or do you build one room at a time and connect them?
    3. How do you handle sinking items into walls so that they do not stick out the other side?
    First off, welcome to the addiction! I can't speak for anyone else, but I'll answer these questions from my own perspective.

1. A combination of both. I plan out the complex structures, but usually freehand most interior spaces and all landscaping. I sketch like a two year old, but I understand what I draw and that's all that matters Even with drawings, I use them more as a guideline, and freehand. The exception to this is the Vengeful Sky I'm working on which is a direct copy of an Aztec pyramid and so I'm trying to be as close to accurate as possible.

2. The floors are first for me, so I can get my sizing. I usually do the whole floor at the same time to get the overall size, then add walls and roof.

3. It depends on what the item is. If I can build against something solid, it doesn't matter what pokes through. Otherwise, if I'm doing a piece of wall art, for example, then slapping another tile or whatever behind the main design usually brings the pieces out far enough so they're not poking through the walls. Or just play with the sizing option, to get to what works.

4. Don't get discouraged. Build for yourself instead of trying to make other people happy or for their approval. When you get blocked, go check out what other people have done, that often works for ideas or just breaking up the time spent. Get used to building, then tearing down, then rebuilding.
    Last edited by Feendish; 04-20-2013 at 10:39 AM.
    Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel

Baradara@Greybriar

Thanks for taking the time. Hopefully your answers can help with my Dimension Block and overall noobishness.
    Ask 100 of us and you will probably get 100 different answers! Here are mine:

1. I usually have a general theme in mind with an idea in my head. I keep a notebook next to my computer where I jot ideas for dimensions, items to morph, things I want to buy, etc. For my villa, I used a blueprint. It was the first time I had built a complete structure from scratch. When I paint, I sketch it first so to build, it made sense to me to make a blueprint.

2. I built all of my floors first, visualizing where the rooms were going to make sure my floor was large enough. Then add walls and then ceiling, then roof. Then filled in the bottom between floor and ground anywhere that showed.

3. There are different tricks for this. As Feendish mentioned, if the other side doesn't matter, you don't have to worry. In my villa, since I had a blueprint, I knew where things were going to stick through. In those areas, I built a double wall so there was space between the interior room and the outside wall. You can't tell it from inside or out.

If you use any of the bookcases flipped backwards for wall paneling, they have a decent thickness that allows you to sink things nicely.

Another trick is to use landscaping to hide it. Does it only stick out a little? Try making a climbing vine outside your house to hide it. Or a strategically placed tree or boulder.

4. Go to other people's dimensions! See something you like? Study it and see if you can figure out what they made it out of. Check out how they handled sinking items. If you can't figure something out, ask them. If they aren't online, send them an ingame mail. Most dimensioneers are more than happy to help and share ideas. If for some reason you can't ask them, post a screenshot on the forums. We all love the challenge of figuring out how someone made something!

If you haven't already, join us dimensionaddicts@!deepwood!

Welcome to the the addiction that none of us wants the cure for!
    Guild ~ Creative Outlet

Ascendant

4. Do you have any other suggestions for the dimensionally challenged? .
    1. I usually have a general idea, or theme. That said, I usually stray from the idea. The theme is important though, or you could end up with an old mining cart next to a great mannor home or a desert oasis with lots of technology. Those things in themselves are not bad ideas, they just don't follow a cohesive theam.

2. I lay out the floor first. Get it to the right size and shape. Then I put the walls up, leaving space for windows if possible. (I plan the windows into the build process because you cannot just erase part of a wall) .. roofs are the easiest part for me, but the gabeled ends are kind of tricky. And I always build the outter shell first and then add interior walls after the main ouside is built. Just the way I work.

3.Very slight nudging., knowing the depth of your wall, trial and error, and clever placement of external wall decorations if needed ;)

a. Turn things over and look at them from another angle or purpose. Some of the best ideas come from accidents, or from items that are not designed as the item you make with them.
    b. If you can, get a working knowledge of what items are out there, even if you don't have access to them at the moment. Decoration pictures and http://www.riftdimension.com/ are just two sites (there are lots) that help you do that. It is easier to put pieces together if you can work with more than you can see at the vendor or in your bags.
    c. Join /dimensionaddicts@deepwood regardless of your shard (its cross shard) and speak up if you have questions or want a second opionion. Many of us enjoy touristing and would love to take a break from our building to pipe up with ideas for you.. or to give little suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Feendish View Post
    First off, welcome to the addiction! I can't speak for anyone else, but I'll answer these questions from my own perspective.
    3. It depends on what the item is. If I can build against something solid, it doesn't matter what pokes through. Otherwise, if I'm doing a piece of wall art, for example, then slapping another tile or whatever behind the main design usually brings the pieces out far enough so they're not poking through the walls. Or just play with the sizing option, to get to what works.

*slaps forehead* what a great, simple solution!

4. Don't get discouraged. Build for yourself instead of trying to make other people happy or for their approval. When you get blocked, go check out what other people have done, that often works for ideas or just breaking up the time spent. Get used to building, then tearing down, then rebuilding.
    This is great ^

And definitely going to get some more bookcases and check out the dimension addicts channel! Thank you so much for the detailed replies. Can't wait to get online tonight!

1. I mostly start with a plan, or a picture in my head of how I'd like the house to look. It doesn't always go to plan though.

2. I always start with the foundations and the frame of the house. I like to build them, so if they were real life houses, they'd actually stand. I may be slightly prone to OCD.

3. I'm not a fan of items sticking out unless they're at the back of the house and won't be seen. I truly hate the legs from the tables showing when used as windows for instance. How do I handle it? Lots of swearing at my monitor mainly, some patience, and lots of fiddling.

4. My only suggestion is to have fun with it. It's a great addition to the game, that has resulted in many sleep deprived nights.

Den of Madness | Greybriar | Den of Badness | Derpwood

Quote Originally Posted by Charlice View Post

3. I'm not a fan of items sticking out unless they're at the back of the house and won't be seen. I truly hate the legs from the tables showing when used as windows for instance. How do I handle it? Lots of swearing at my monitor mainly, some patience, and lots of fiddling.
    Lol I'm right with you on this one, I've seen some where they just left the legs or built shelves onto them and it bugs me so much! I had a bunch of lacy tables from fishing for snowy items so I figured I'd try my hand at it but I got frustrated pretty quick and went back to my garden.

If we can just create alts and make dimensions on them, why won't they let us have multiple active dimensions on one toon so we don't have to do all that?

Quote Originally Posted by exanimo View Post
    If we can just create alts and make dimensions on them, why won't they let us have multiple active dimensions on one toon so we don't have to do all that?
    I wish they would. I'm trying to build my Moonshade dimension with a similar feeling as my Plaza Aurentine. The idea is that Moonshade is my actual home with a convenient place to crash in the city. So obviously both would belong to Amity. But no, Moonshade technically belongs to Hazard.

In regards to the OP, I usually have some theme or idea in mind, but sometimes that radically changes. Such as Arcana's Dolcega I originally started building a home from the floor up and at some point as I was running around looking at it from every angle I thought "this reminds me of the reflecting pools in Washington DC." Home torn down. Wonky Washington Mall built.

Luckily, by Plaza Aurentine being my first dimension I was able to practice with interior building before trying to build a complete structure.

The best thing to do is just DO IT. None of what you do is written in stone. As I learned from subsequent builds I kept going back and re-doing elements of my first one. Two weeks ago I thought that dim was pretty much done, then Seonie posted about her updated Grubs and and inspired me to try hard to look at it with fresh eyes. Right now I don't know what else to do to improve it, but that's surely going to change.

I'd say the second best thing to do though is tour, tour, tour. I really enjoy looking at what others have built. When I was looking at Caer Kholums for my guild's build I was looking to see what's generally included for a guild and also for HADN'T been done yet. My favorite is when something gives me pause and I'm wondering "what IS that?"

The third is just ask. It's hard for me, because I'm kinda shy and offbeat (and apparently long-winded), but it gets easier. When I needed a bath house for Camp Catari people were able to point me towards some places to tour and look at examples. The DimensionAddicts@Deepwood chat is full of helpful, kind, and talented folks.

TLDR; build, tour, ask

The truth is I have started every dimension I have built saying in my head. "I'm making a fae garden" I throw all my plants down on the ground then I use a stone rectangle and make it max size. Then 5 hours later I stop and go ohh hey this will make a swing /chair/gazibo. A few days later someone will come in and say I thought you were making a garden.......Doh guess the next one will be. I get lost when I start building. The short circuits in my brain turn all catywampus. So I try to plan but it never turns out what I started. I just go with the flow the colors and shapes ,shape what I end up with. Its actually creepy sometimes.
    As far as hiding in the wall so it doesn't poke out. If its a tiny poke I just add a rock or a flower nicely placed on the other side. If its a big poke out I line up another wall and slide it out. A example is in ~Sweethearts~ potty ceiling The upstairs there was alot of items poking through the floor so I added a drop down ceiling.
    As far as building a house . I suck at those I make a box and go from there. There are so many awesome houses out there I have no idea how they do it.

+ Reply to Thread