+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree10Likes
  • 8 Post By Sparo
  • 1 Post By Xillean
  • 1 Post By Kiyla

Thread: Dimensions are fluff not raids

Rift Disciple

Default Dimensions are fluff not raids

The Dimensions are a wonderful and creative addition to Rift. They give everyone a time sink, a money sink, and an environment that allows a creative outlet. The time and energy used in creating dimensions also creates a situation where players have a personal investment in the game which they will want to preserve. It is in my opinion one of the more brilliant developments from Rift.

Dimensions are however essentially fluff. It is one of those elements like pets and attire that each player develops to distinguish themselves and create a persona online that they desire. Fluff is by definition and element which has no relevance to the core mechanics of progression or pvp. It is a fun activity outside those core mechanics and nothing more. It is an investment into a Rift culture.

So my question is this. Why on earth would Trion make players feel disenfranchised or hobbled in any activity that is fluff? It has no purpose other than making players feel unique and participating in the larger game culture so why hamper it? Is allowing players to have 6 stacks of Xmas presents instead of one because they have alts something horrific that is going to break some major or even minor game mechanic? Of course not. These are items going to be used once a year and stored back into some alts bank until next Christmas. God forbid they have that many stacks right?

The fish bot epidemic certainly caused considerable grief for Trion and players. Anytime you have plat farming of that magnitude it is bad for players. There are a lot of problems associated with that activity. So while I can appreciate the desire to remove those profit margins, I am not sure the nuances were good for the gaming community’s perception of Trion’s attack on botting. These moves felt in many ways an attack on dimension players and casual players.

There is no way I can imagine that it was not widely perceived that Dim players would aggressively fish for the new and wonderful items being offered. This would hopefully keep fishing quotas up on the AH and provide another extensive time sink for players. With this level of activity, why on earth would all those items be BOP instead of BOA? Everyone involved has clogged banks now and a serious hindrance for creating the multiple Dims they enjoy. This is like giving someone a car and then taking away the wheels.

I hope there is a dialogue taking place and some changes being made to address this. Players are obviously feeling rather cheated at the moment. You have created a brilliant game element and then hamstrung yourself. This is fluff not a 20 man raid. There is no need to be so heavy handed with this content as it serves no purpose other than causing angst among gaming patrons.

Well said and I still have hope something is going ot be done. I havent even fished up all of the new items on my main let alone trying on my cleric and the thought of the rest of my alts makes me shudder. That and only two of my toons have max fishing and the thought of having to max it all on every toon if I want certain tiems makes me want to put my head through a wall.
    Myrmidon Xillean Tormeng, Lord of War
    Dimensions: Planar Study Spec: 61/10/5
    PA: 900 | Score: 11120 | Tradeskills: All Grandmastered
    4/4 GP | 4/4 DH | 5/5 GSB | 5/5 RoS Conqueror | 11/11 HK | 2/4 RotP | 1/8 ID
    Characters: Xillean R90, Phantasmal R72, Eylisa R68, Kattie R74

Yes, it is fluff but look what they did.... They turned it into progression.

First you get your starter dimension, you can pay extra and up your level cap...but not too high. If you want to get bigger and better, you buy a new dimension. You continue to progress up the item levels for that dimension. You buy more items to place and earn the rep to get cooler things.

Now to progress, still only fluff, but if you want that super cool urn or that ferry boat....only way to go get it. You can't buy it, trade it, earn rep for it....nope, gotta go fishing.

I wouldn't even mind the fishing to earn the items if I could give them to my alt! That is my biggest gripe about it. If you want to try and hook the people who think they have to "progress" to enjoy the game, fine, but for those of us who just want to create, let us give the stuff to the alts who have our second (and in some cases 3rd and 4th) dimensions!
    Guild ~ Creative Outlet

Yes, there is a four-page-long thread filled with angry people -begging- for these items to at least be made BoA instead of BoP. It's located here: http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...on-items.html\

I encourage everyone who is upset about this to also send their feedback in game, since it's highly likely that this thread, which you hadn't seen, has also not been seen by the developers.

You may want to be more direct with your commentary.
    You didn't name the subject until the fifth paragraph, the 380th word!

Anyway, dev said it's being changed to BoA in 2.2:
    http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...ml#post4140845

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by nacho View Post
    One word: HOORAY! Not sure why this wasn't implemented from the start, unless Trion got tunnel vision in relation to the fishing bots. But at least it'll be fixed soon!
    "You haven't just crossed over to the Dark Side...you're baking the damn cookies!"

I'd really like Trion to implement the LOTRO method for handling BoP housing items.
    • It can be placed in any personal or guild house,
      But only the owner can place it or move it.
      It will remain in the house even if you leave the guild.
      But if the house is abandoned or sold, the item moves to Escrow for pickup by owner.

So basically, a soulbound item can be loaned out. It would mean a ruleset specific to dimensions where normal item soulbinding is overwritten or set aside by a ruleset specific to dimensions.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by nacho View Post
    You may want to be more direct with your commentary.
    You didn't name the subject until the fifth paragraph, the 380th word!

You are confusing. If you think it is verbose, well it is but a lot needed to be said and I try to avoid confusion like your post just did for me. Secondly, The Dev response was well after this thread was posted. It is of course welcome news and I am glad they have had a change of heart. There simply is no measurable reason to make fluff a restrictive aspect of the game.

+ Reply to Thread