• 2 Post By Fungi
  • 1 Post By Bamul
  • 2 Post By Onebutton
  • 1 Post By Fungi
  • 1 Post By Fungi

Thread: The Future of Crafting

Soulwalker

Default The Future of Crafting

With Trion finally putting the last nail in its coffin and the QoL improvements that the tiny team of devs left are promising, one area that needs a ton of work is crafting. This also means that gear needs a ton of work, because planar fragments bumping runecrafters into a useless profession was a really poor move. The monthly calendar also rendered dreamweaver useless with the only useful item craftable by them, dream orbs, being handed out to all for free. In general, trying to cater to the people that just want goodies given to them with the monthly calendar again further alienates the Rifters that just want to play a good game. I'd be happy to see it go away.

BIS craftable gear was a great idea and the method for leveling it by actually playing rift was as well. Using an item that drops in raids to level them to the final level should be avoided. For those of us who do not enjoy raiding and since you ruined pvp and left those of us who loved it looking around for something to do, at least we could get a few slots of BIS gear by crafting it or buying it from another player and level it via open world pve. Please avoid tying everything to dungeons and raids. Not everyone likes them.

If you're going to make a profession useless just remove it from the game, but after investing so much time and effort into leveling them you're going to (and did) tick a lot of people off with all but removing runecrafters from the game. Please return runecrafting to its pre-SPE state.

I'd love to see all the craftable gear be BIS, at least keep the current slots that are moving forward and add a few more slots. There's no good pvp to gear up from anymore, and no pvp gear anyway, and dungeons and raids are so boring, and most people that raid are not fun to play with and require you to already have gear from the raid, nor does LFR work to build a group so you can get gear from the raid to meet the requirements to be accepted into a group to raid. So how is one to get the higher level pve gear? You've severely limited our options and being able to craft and upgrade gear by killing invasions and footholds, ZE colossi, and rifts was the best idea to come from the devs in 7 years. Please expand on this move.

Sword of Telara

Personally, I am against BiS craftable gear. Crafted items should be easy to create and should give newcomers and re starters a chance to get fit for the current content but should never be better than items from raids. I have also no fun at brainless grind without any challenge as it is the case with the current BiS craftable gear.

I don't think crafted gear should be BiS. Yea, they did it with the helm and ranged, and I guess that was okay, but not all gear should be BiS unless you are doing the max raid available imo. I do agree there should be options to make better gear for armor slots and accessory slots however, but never BiS.
    OneButton (Half-way now to becoming a two-button player!)
    If there is anything you need, just ask, and I will tell you how to get along Without it!
    "One button raid member of GraySkull"

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Bamul View Post
    Personally, I am against BiS craftable gear. Crafted items should be easy to create and should give newcomers and re starters a chance to get fit for the current content but should never be better than items from raids. I have also no fun at brainless grind without any challenge as it is the case with the current BiS craftable gear.
    The "brainless grind" is just playing the game and is exactly what you have to do in raids to get gear, grind them over and over for drops and currency. So exactly what do you do in the game that isn't repetitive? The craftable gear is exactly what you said. The upgrades to the two craftable BIS slots is a lot more than just crafting it, they even require raid currency (tenebrean engine) to upgrade all the way as I'm sure you already know.

Quote Originally Posted by Onebutton View Post
    I don't think crafted gear should be BiS. Yea, they did it with the helm and ranged, and I guess that was okay, but not all gear should be BiS unless you are doing the max raid available imo. I do agree there should be options to make better gear for armor slots and accessory slots however, but never BiS.
    Except that raiding sucks and now that pvp is dead there is no alternative. People are against brainless grinding (see above) but they want to brainlessly grind raids for gear and not find a better alternative. If pvp is not going to be fixed and pvp gear returned to the game there needs to be another option for those like me that hate raiding.

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Fungi View Post
    The "brainless grind" is just playing the game and is exactly what you have to do in raids to get gear, grind them over and over for drops and currency. So exactly what do you do in the game that isn't repetitive?.
    I've been playing MMORPGS since 1999 starting with Everquest 1 and raids have always been my favorite content. I have the most fun with difficult pve content (killing dragons and giant monsters with cool mechanics) that push a group to go to their limits and optimize the teamwork. The feeling of defeating a tough raid boss for the first time with your guild is something that makes MMORPGS so appealing to me. Unfortunately, Rift has significantly degraded in the quality and quantity of demanding content in the last two years.

As soon as a raid is on farm status I try to keep my fun in things like further optimizations of the group setup and new best times for boss kills or I'll just try out some completely new strategies to keep the raid content interesting. Running a raid once a week is no grind for me as long as new raids are added regularly.

Until the current expansion the release rate of new raids was fine for me but as we all know the development team was shrinking so much that there were no new content and missing content was tried to replace by more and more dull grind and gambling.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Bamul View Post
    I've been playing MMORPGS since 1999 starting with Everquest 1 and raids have always been my favorite content. I have the most fun with difficult pve content (killing dragons and giant monsters with cool mechanics) that push a group to go to their limits and optimize the teamwork. The feeling of defeating a tough raid boss for the first time with your guild is something that makes MMORPGS so appealing to me. Unfortunately, Rift has significantly degraded in the quality and quantity of demanding content in the last two years.

As soon as a raid is on farm status I try to keep my fun in things like further optimizations of the group setup and new best times for boss kills or I'll just try out some completely new strategies to keep the raid content interesting. Running a raid once a week is no grind for me as long as new raids are added regularly.

Until the current expansion the release rate of new raids was fine for me but as we all know the development team was shrinking so much that there were no new content and missing content was tried to replace by more and more dull grind and gambling.
    I guess it's just a matter of preference. I consider the raids more of a grind than just running around killing stuff. I never understood the draw to mechanics like that. My experience over the years with dungeons/raids is no one wants to enjoy figuring them out, kinda like what you're talking about in trying different tactics, everyone just wants to run through them all as fast as possible and be done with them.

The biggest turn off for me is, as you said it's once a week for raids and I like to play the game more than once a week and I prefer 5 or 10 mans, most people are A-holes about teaching anything in the game especially raids and dungeons, and there is no viable queue for raids. Dungeons can take hours to fill even on my tank unless you spam chat and the mechanics for both are always exactly the same, which is why I find them more of a grind than just solo running around and having fun.

I'm not saying they should kill dungeons and raids like they did pvp, but at least every battle in pvp was different and you could just queue for it and get in a rotation and it would pop over and over until you quit queing and it was more dynamic than pve. I hope they add another BIS craftable slot myself or more, or find something better than dungeons to get gear. SFP is the first dungeons I've done in Rift and I was pretty bored with them in a month or so. Rift needs to retain every paying player they can right now, and the raiders don't seem to be paying the bills for Rift. Fungi out, happy Rifting

+ Reply to Thread