+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Grrrr....Runes and Screwed Up Item Levels

Shadowlander

Default Grrrr....Runes and Screwed Up Item Levels

When will the Rift programmers going to fix the dang blasted rune screw up???

What am I talking about, you might ask? Well, I've been away from the game for a few years, and when I came back I had a lot of catching up to do.

The problem started when I tried to place a Visionary Wrathful Rune to Mighty Ascended's Legs and the game would not let me do it, the error message was "This rune must be used on a higher level item".

Why not, I asked myself. The rune was for level 65 and the legs were level 65. My guild told me it was a bug.

I put it off to the notion that Rift did not want us to improve the runes on the level 65 gear I received when I used the Starfall Prophecy Deluxe Edition level 65 boost. So just crafted items, okay, I'll buy it.

But then I leveled my cleric all the way to level 65. Then I leveled my weaponsmith all the way to skill level 450, so I could make my cleric a two-handed Detailed Thalasie Warhammer. My runecrafter made a Visionary Starstrike Weapon-rune, but once again the error message was "This rune must be used on a higher level item". Once again the rune and the item both said level 65. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!! Not again!

What the heck is wrong with a crafting system when it cannot get the levels of the items straight? It's like playing Russian roulette with this crafting system. You never know if the item you are crafting will be a waste of time because runes cannot be applied to them, and Rift certainly doesn't bother to inform you.

Just fix this, change the text on the runes to say level 66+, is that so tough? Or if the problem is the level 65 warhammer and legs are actually only level 64, then change the text description on them. Or maybe Rift needs label them as level 64.5 items?

Just fix this silly stuff, my goodness, how long has this been messed up, and no one fixes it???

Go by the source.
    Did you get it in Starfall lands? Nightmare Tide runes won't apply. And vice versa.
    Last edited by forbiddenlake; 04-23-2017 at 08:42 AM.

Item level and level required to equip are not the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse
    We are absolutely a service industry and you're only as good as your last contact with the customer.

As was said before... check the origin from the gear and the rune.

Mixed zones don't combine for the level 65 stuff.

This has mainly to do with the fact, that Starfall is buy to play and NT is free for all.

In earlier xpacks, there was the overlap in level gear.. Storm Legion had upto level 60 gear, Nightmare tide stats-appropriate gear started at blue level 59.

Since both NT and SL are free, there was no problem equipping both types of gear if you had the level for it.

With Starfall, there are a few level 65 soulbound items.. Those can have those 65 visionary runes.
    Level 65 NT gear is excluded from those runes, since players in that level/type gear may not have the Starfall access... The rune just does not check that access level, it only does a gear check for the gear it is used on.

And the ascended gear you try to use it on is NT based as is the thalasite weapon... since thalasite is a material harvested in NT zones.

Maybe not the answer you would like to hear/read, that's the way it is.

On a sidenote.. you can very well survive in ScaF on NT 65 xprt gear and you get better gear soon enough.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by forbiddenlake View Post
    Go by the source.
    Did you get it in Starfall lands? Nightmare Tide runes won't apply. And vice versa.
    Did you even read the OP?

The issue is with CRAFTED items. The source? Probably Tempest Bay.

Quest rewards from "Starfall lands" state LEVEL 64, yet the new runes will apply.

The confusion arises from the ambiguity as Artewig points out:
    "Item level and level required to equip are not the same thing."

There is no distinction given between these two differing conditions.
    Last edited by Xio Narius; 04-23-2017 at 02:05 PM.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Aranka View Post
    With Starfall, there are a few level 65 soulbound items..
    Really?
    My limited experience with Starfall, having completed the initial story line quests on 4 different callings, exposed no such gear. The soulbound items rewarded are all level 64.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiftyish View Post
    Did you even read the OP?

The issue is with CRAFTED items. The source? Probably Tempest Bay.

Quest rewards from "Starfall lands" state LEVEL 64, yet the new runes will apply.

The confusion arises from the ambiguity as Artewig points out:
    "Item level and level required to equip are not the same thing."

There is no distinction given between these two differing conditions.

As I already risk moderation by pointing out your error, it would be foolish to explain explain the reasoning used by Trion.
    While they are crafted, the source does matter. Any item from NT cannot have SFP runes applied. So if your mats are from 4.0 on, the rune you craft won't be used on NT gear.
    Last edited by Artewig; 04-23-2017 at 12:51 PM.
    We are absolutely a service industry and you're only as good as your last contact with the customer.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Artewig View Post
    While they are crafted, the source does matter. Any item from NT cannot have SFP runes applied. So if your mats are from 4.0 on, the rune you craft won't be used on NT gear.
    LOL, So dream orbs yet again defy logic.

By the way, your attitude is really unhelpful. Not only to players (Yes. I fully read and understood the OP), but to devs as well. If you want to help, you should be less rude.

LOL, So dream orbs yet again defy logic.
    Dream orbs are not runes. This thread is about runes.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Artewig View Post
    Dream orbs are not runes. This thread is about runes.
    Indeed it is. It is also about the ambiguity of the "level 65".

But it highlights the intent of Trion to render useless anything prior to SFP.

Had this intention been honestly expressed there would be no ambiguity.

Shadowlander

Indeed it is. It is also about the ambiguity of the "level 65".

But it highlights the intent of Trion to render useless anything prior to SFP.

Had this intention been honestly expressed there would be no ambiguity.
    That's my point. I am referring to crafted runes and equipment, but the vagueness applies to gear that drops also.

The player crafting an item and crafting a rune, cannot tell if the rune can be applied to his equipment or not. We should not force the players to fall back on reading two, three or four year old patch notes. The information should be found on the rune and equipment, while inside the game.

The runes and equipment should specify exactly which gear can accept which rune; obviously the current "level 65" annotation is completely inadequate.
    Last edited by Grimalken; 04-25-2017 at 01:56 PM.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by forbiddenlake View Post
    By the way, your attitude is really unhelpful. Not only to players (Yes. I fully read and understood the OP), but to devs as well. If you want to help, you should be less rude.
    Sorry. I was frustrated about this before I posted, and seeing players just going along with the status quo, it just frustrated me even more.

Why wouldn't players desire a crafting system that properly informs players exactly what goes with what?

I'm sure I'm not the only player to have spent money on these items and recipes, and even purchased the components on the AH, or spent hours trying to procure them, only to have the game tell us, ooops, this rune cannot go on that gear, so you wasted your time and effort.
    Last edited by Grimalken; 04-25-2017 at 02:03 PM.

14.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #14
    Director of Community Relations TrionBrasse's Avatar

Hey all. RIFT is always in evolution, although priorities are constantly shifting based on ongoing and emergent needs. This means we can't always fix things as fast as we want to.

From tomorrow's patch notes: "A number of Visionary crafted runes should now be usable on Nightmare Tide level 65 gear."

They listened to previous reports, it was placed on a list, they took action.

In related discussion, Devs are always reading here, but they are unlikely to respond to a thread that starts in such a combative, aggressive fashion. What's combative about it? From the recipient's perspective, terms like "Grrrr, screwed up, is that so tough? Just fix this silly stuff, my goodness, how long has this been messed up, and no one fixes it???"

Why does this act as Dev-repellent? Because threads that start angrily usually just end up going downhill with more snark piling on, and often get closed. Try a positively phrased and open approach and we're more likely to see Devs responding.

Some may think that Devs are obliged or required to respond no matter what the tone. This is not the case. They read feedback (directly or through my reports), but they are usually working on the game - that is their job. They will often interrupt their workday to respond when they feel welcome to join a conversation without being jumped on. That's human nature.

It's also human nature to post angrily. That does not mean we accept it here.
    Mods have been alerted to several posts here, and they have been removed. For the rest, please carry on (including the OP, whose second post is entirely reasonable - thank you!).
    Brasse

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse View Post
    Hey all. RIFT is always in evolution, although priorities are constantly shifting based on ongoing and emergent needs. This means we can't always fix things as fast as we want to.

From tomorrow's patch notes: "A number of Visionary crafted runes should now be usable on Nightmare Tide level 65 gear."

They listened to previous reports, it was placed on a list, they took action.

In related discussion, Devs are always reading here, but they are unlikely to respond to a thread that starts in such a combative, aggressive fashion. What's combative about it? From the recipient's perspective, terms like "Grrrr, screwed up, is that so tough? Just fix this silly stuff, my goodness, how long has this been messed up, and no one fixes it???"

Why does this act as Dev-repellent? Because threads that start angrily usually just end up going downhill with more snark piling on, and often get closed. Try a positively phrased and open approach and we're more likely to see Devs responding.

Some may think that Devs are obliged or required to respond no matter what the tone. This is not the case. They read feedback (directly or through my reports), but they are usually working on the game - that is their job. They will often interrupt their workday to respond when they feel welcome to join a conversation without being jumped on. That's human nature.

It's also human nature to post angrily. That does not mean we accept it here.
    Mods have been alerted to several posts here, and they have been removed. For the rest, please carry on (including the OP, whose second post is entirely reasonable - thank you!).
    Brasse
    Point taken.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast