+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: 6 hour cooldown on timed and enduring magnetic fishing lures, WTF?

Soulwalker

Well, my fishing fun in Rift has been ruined by the changes to the lures. I played the game because the fishing and crafting was great, it makes it a well rounded game, but the latest changes to the lures are ridiculous. If I now use say a Timed Magnetic Lure, I not only get a 6 hour cooldown on that lure but also on the Enduring Magnetic Lure, the Twisted Lure, the Rare Brevanic Lure and the Rare Artifact Lure all at the same time,so no more fishing with any of those lures for 6 hours. I have spent a lot of time getting all these special lures and have made a lot of them, only to find I am being told I have this huge cooldown on all of them. On top of this I have just found out that you can pay 315 credits to remove the cooldown, I am astonished at this!!! The sad part is I was seriously thinking about taking out a subscription for the game because I really have enjoyed Rift but not now, paying for fishing is a step to far.
    I am a mature player ( nearly 70 years old) and do understand that Trion has to make money, but to do it something as basic as fishing is not fair.
    The fishing used to work really well as it was and somethings are best left alone.

I can see the 2 minute ones having the cooldown as they have always had a 6 hour cd , not sure I see them sharing the same one, but the other lures that just increase your chance from like .001 to maybe .002 really do not make sense to have a cd added. Now if you had changed them to be a 100% chance of getting artifacts I might could see the cd, but that didn't happen same .002 chance with a 6 hour cd.

3.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #18

We are breaking out the cooldowns on these. It's not all doom and gloom yet!

Rift Disciple

Yay ..

You have no clue what relief this is ... thank you.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Morticus View Post

I'm sorry, I don't understand what this means. Are the cooldowns being removed or are you saying that each lure will have its individual 6h cooldown?

If it is the former then great, if it is the latter then why is a cooldown needed on lures? Are lures giving people a huge advantage? How many CD removal items do you seriously expect to sell from the store?

The fact that you haven't communicated what the intended to change lures will mean to us, means it will be all doom and gloom until you prove to the paying customers (the players) the positive side of having to buy a damn "cool down reset" item from the rift store.

Even if you intend increased rewards from using lures, I'm sorry, but that is still not a good enough reason to put cool down timers on any lure.

It's like taxes, you can use the lure but you have to pay to use it more than once.
    "Just tune in, turn off, drop out, drop in, switch off, switch on, and explode." TrollBait goes here.
    Dahbee's Law: No matter what gets discussed, voted on, or put into the game, someone will whine.
    Dahbee's Law #2: A good gnome is a dead gnome.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Umfufu View Post
    I mean it is not like those 10/15 mins lures gave me more arti's then running over the map.

Hell, I even have the spawn points of some maps memorized and can rake in 5+ times more arit's like that then with fishing... (in the same amount of time)

I just saw it as an alternative way to get arti's and felt like a bonus to the fishing, not like the fish themselves are worth much ....

Just sayin ...
    They have yet to give a reason why they made the change, but I doubt the intention was to lower the amount of artifacts in the game. My reasoning is thus:

1) The change doesn't affect people gathering artifacts and that has to be where the lion's share of artifacts come onto the market.
    2) If one wanted to target fishing as a source, it would be much, much, much more effective to go after the botters. Just looking at the leader boards shows you who is botting.
    3) If one wanted to limit the effects of botting without actually banning the botters, this would work, but so would limiting people to using say 6 artifact lures per character per day and at the same time 95% of the people who fish regularly would not be put out by it. (I've spent more than an hour fishing on the same toon before, but not often enough that I would consider it an unreasonable limit.)
    4) It is doubtful to me that there are too many artifacts on the market. On Faeblight the min price hangs at around 50 for white artifacts that have been around so long that 90% of the player base would only be using them for breaking into ribbons. That doesn't seem like the price of an item that is experiencing an excess of supply.

If it really is a play to get players to spend more credit, then I feel very sorry for the folks who work on Rift. It would lead me to suspect that either the decision making is really poor or the financials are dire. I wonder if Zynga being such a flop has completely squashed the idea of another round of funding for Trion Worlds? I've worked at "start up with great product but no chance at going public or getting more funds" and I can tell you that it is not a pleasant experience.

Soulwalker

Default two new fishing lures that are for nt

both are for only 2 minutes (increase this a lot if 6hr cooldowns are to stay or reduce the cooldown to a lot less than 6 hrs ty or offer the the cooldown remover for something other than credits please this definetly needs a rethink many players are not happy with this as it's being presented

9.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #24

Just a quick update on this for those of you concerned with the recent changes.

We're going to be improving these and bump the chance to catch an artifact by 900%.

Shadowlander

Default haha

Senior Game Designer...
    are you having a Senior Moment?

Rift Disciple

We're going to be improving these and bump the chance to catch an artifact by 900%.

Wait ... with "these" do you mean the former 10/15 mins lures ?
    And does this mean that you then will NOT remove the 6 hour SHARED cd's ?

We ... well I ... was perfectly happy with how they worked before the ninja changes, why change all this now?

If it ain't broke ...

Rift Disciple

I will try to explain how I experience(d) fishing lurewise.

In the past we started with the Rare Artifact Attractors, when introduced, took quite some effort to craft. (3 hour CD)
    The Timed Magnetic & Timed Trophy lures, also when introdued needed effort to be able to craft these, could use the Rare Fish lure, but those too where time consuming to craft (back in the day). But once you put in the time and dedication and got things rolling it felt rewarding enough and also gave fishing that extra challenge to keep it more intersting.

Then with Storm Legion one needed the Rare Brevanic Fish lure to actually fish the fish needed for the Rare Bevanic Artifact Attractor & Twisted Lure (6 hour cd), this and the fish you needed for the (raid)Foods, almost automaticly stocked you with the fish to make the Enduring Magnetic & Enduring Trophy lures, so hardly any challenge nor effort in making those. I still have a overstock on these lures from this period.

To fish enough to get stocked for say like a week did take a considerable amount of time, yes I could use 2x lure every 6 hours, and 1x every 3 hours, in total they fished 7 arti per six hours, of which many still white. Nothing overpowered in that, and if I just went artifact hunting on foot for the time I spent fishing for the lures, I would make more. But it was the extra "spice" to fishing and I enjoyed it.

Then time went by ...

To be able to keep using both Artifact Attractor Lures did require some dedication. Hardly anyone fished in Vanilla anymore and for the old Trophy lure it seemed no one really fished in those area really.
    The fish needed for the lures were or hardly offered on AH or for rediculous prices, so this meant to keep stock up both lures one did need to spend the time and dedication.
    But again for me atleast this was a thing that kept fishing challenging, was nice to have a goal besides the chill factor it gave me.

Then ... the new NT lures, big change ... a FULL 2 mins green and blue arti fishing ...
    I tried a few and concluded, a minimum of 7 but when lucky could go upto 10 arti in those 2 mins, also discovered the shared CD, but could understand this, this one lure, not hard to craft out performed the combined 3 lures I used in the past. (did notice it seems I get a % of arti of the map I am fishing on, and then some "random" ones which now seems to be the same ones out of a small pool over and over again)

The way the Magnetic lures worked, I saw as a thing not overly overpowered at all, but just enough, that if one wanted to fish as main "Profession" or Rift Lifestyle, to give them that little edge to do so.

I am affraid if you change anything to the magnetic lures, you will take this factor of fishing away.

Just my 2 fish

PS long story, am not native English speaker, so forgive me any oddnesses.

The enduring lure was originally 15 minute in duration and it will go back to being 15 minutes.

We plan on leaving the cooldown on the lures that fish-up artifacts, but we also plan on making the chance to fish-up artifacts better and a bit more transparent.
    6 hours is a pretty long CD for a 10-15 minute duration use. Any chance perhaps to reduce the CD to something a bit less timely? Perhaps 2 hours or 3 hours?
    OneButton (Half-way now to becoming a two-button player!)
    If there is anything you need, just ask, and I will tell you how to get along Without it!
    "One button raider for life!"

why the hell didnt you just say this sooner, you could've saved a lot of grief.

Now if you only fix lure to work right everywhere instead of just certain areas. I wont have much left to B***h about.
    Last edited by Dahbee; 04-24-2015 at 11:44 PM.
    "Just tune in, turn off, drop out, drop in, switch off, switch on, and explode." TrollBait goes here.
    Dahbee's Law: No matter what gets discussed, voted on, or put into the game, someone will whine.
    Dahbee's Law #2: A good gnome is a dead gnome.

15.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #30

My apologies for anyone confused, I was referring to the Timed and Enduring Magnetic Lures that increase your chance to fish up fishing specific artifacts.

The cooldowns are no longer shared and the Magnetic Lures only have a two hour cool down.
    We also increased the chance to get an artifact considerably.

It was not our intention to flat out nerf these.

Last edited by Morticus; 04-26-2015 at 07:06 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast