Closed Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By lvj999
  • 1 Post By Dio On Endless

Thread: Purchasable Trade Slots - Ruined the game for me

Soulwalker

Thumbs down Purchasable Trade Slots - Ruined the game for me

So I was starting to get into Rift after finally trying it out. I did began to enjoy it quite a bit, but then I ran across the in-game store.. and even more specifically, purchasable trade skill slots.

I was always a firm believer that having limitations on how many trade skills a single character can possess promotes socializing, stimulates economy, and promotes bartering within a game. But to purchase enough slots to get all the trade skills, let alone for the sole purpose of milking 60 dollars out of players, is not only game ruining for some players, but also a terrible scam for a free to play model.

The ability to purchase all trade skills as I had mentioned, ruins/weakens the game's economy and it is something I certainly do not enjoy. Perhaps some people enjoy it mostly for the fact they dont have to create alts to garner all that resources and not having to rely on other players, but that is what MMOs are all about. Playing with other people and using your wits to work your way around the economic market.

Plain and simple, this is just a ploy to milk cash out of players while putting little thought into their game's economy.

Bad. Terrible. Utter Stupidity.

I will undoubtedly receive rage or backlash due to this post, but I am certain there are plenty of others who would feel the same way.

Thanks for your time, and enjoy your gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Tykune View Post
    So I was starting to get into Rift after finally trying it out. I did began to enjoy it quite a bit, but then I ran across the in-game store.. and even more specifically, purchasable trade skill slots.

I was always a firm believer that having limitations on how many trade skills a single character can possess promotes socializing, stimulates economy, and promotes bartering within a game. But to purchase enough slots to get all the trade skills, let alone for the sole purpose of milking 60 dollars out of players, is not only game ruining for some players, but also a terrible scam for a free to play model.

The ability to purchase all trade skills as I had mentioned, ruins/weakens the game's economy and it is something I certainly do not enjoy. Perhaps some people enjoy it mostly for the fact they dont have to create alts to garner all that resources and not having to rely on other players, but that is what MMOs are all about. Playing with other people and using your wits to work your way around the economic market.

Plain and simple, this is just a ploy to milk cash out of players while putting little thought into their game's economy.

I will undoubtedly receive rage or backlash due to this post, but I am certain there are plenty of others who would feel the same way.

Before you rage quit and delete your characters, can I have all your stuff?

Four level 65 toons, among others:
    Khazadum@Hailol --- Dixierose@Hailol
    Tempest@Hailol --- Blazes@Hailol

Interesting idea but for me it allowed me to know longer feel obligated to have alt's because I wanted to know all the trade skills and could only have two per character. Half Glass empty or full? Pick your poison.

Champion of Telara

Enabling a character to have all the trades doesn't exactly have such a negative impact as players want to portray it does.

- Regarding the social part: The only "social" part is using the auction house. Few people would ask in trade or in any other "active" way for assistance with crafting, and those who would do will still do so.
    - Regarding economy stimulation: Stimulate in what way? Prices upwards or downwards? With multiple tradeslots, this means that prices will generally go downward, which actually is of great help to newer players. It also means that players aren't forced to pick 2 gathering and 1 crafting, and at the same time, should prices be high enough for a crafter to consider buying off the AH, the player can go and farm the mats themselves, which promotes going out of the city and into the wild.
    - It's also not a "free" thing. To unlock all tradeskills on a character you need 8400 credits. That's not a small amount for the average player, and if someone tries to reach it without spending cash on their own, it will cost a lot of platinum and therefore time to achieve.

As mentioned in the 2nd dash, limited tradeskills hurt the players who like farming with the intent to make their profits off that. I am not saying it's a bad way to play the game, to each their own, but in my opinion it's better than having few people pretty much decide the entire market around craftabled, since it takes a lot of farming for some items assuming a player doesn't have any stock.

Telaran

What's the diff between me having 1 toon with all professions or 3 or 4 with all professions? Either way I have all professions with the same mats.
    Hey look, I'm a marksman

Mostly I needed it to train everybody in RuneCrafting so we could deal with the useless RNG crap in PvP progression under the modern system.
    Seastone (All Defiant; All the Time)
    [Seven Sisters] Guera, 70/100 Eth Rogue; Perlita, 70/100 Kelari Magician; Gitana 70 Eth Drugs/Outfits/Rings
    Carmelita 70/100 Eth Rogue Guns/Armor/Runes; Preciosa 70/76 Eth Magician; Chula 70/100 Kelari Rogue Survival

I'm actually communicate more, focusing on my guildies. Helping those lower levels with gear. And having all crafts helps myself and my alts. Knocking out 10 dailies that my gathering alts provide allows me to acquire craft coins, planar xp and the loyalty and friendship of players that I've helped out.

Sorry it ruined the game for you, it's kept me in the game. I'm able to control my time and participation. I'm able to provide my own mats. Works for me until another game that's beyond the horizon. The one where raid gear doesn't exist only crafted gear. Any gear must be acquired from a crafter. What a concept.

Trade skill extensions from the Rift store is what ruined the game for you?
    Performance issues and server stability maybe, but not an arbitrary Rift store service.

Don't buy them. You'll find Rift to be socially and economically healthy.

Champion

I agree with previous posters, I bet for most players who bought extra slots it's for convenience and/or completion's sake, they're not trying to destabilize the economy or whatever.
    Actually, there's a whole lot of trading going on no matter how many trade skill slots people have. REX, essences, mounts, artifacts, minion cards, elite mob drops, etc. etc.

Telaran

I don't quite follow. Before this was purchasable my main had all the gathering professions, and I had several level 10 alts that did the crafting. The only difference now is I don't have to send as much mail to myself. How does that impact the in game economy in any way? If anything it's helped. I had to spend a good chunk of plat buying woods and metals to level all my trade skills to max again.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Tykune View Post

What evidence do you have that it weakens the economy or makes the game less social? People have always had alts to take up trades their main doesn't have. This just gives people the choice of having it all in one place. Frankly, I wish there were more things like this. I would like to see more things (achievements, guild memberships, bank space, etc.) being account based since the account is me, not the individual characters.

Soulwalker

What's the difference between having 6 alts with all the professions and having everything on one character? Its still only one person playing.

If anything, it helps the game because server doesn't have to track all those extra alts and insanely amount of mail going to and from your alts.

Yes if you are a keen magnate who only wants to corner the market and have all server bow to you, yeah that's detrimental, TO YOU because we can undercut your greedy prices or farm the mats ourselves without relying on you.

Purchasable trade skills makes the economy actually healthier, not to mention convenient for the crafters who sink time into it.

I'm sorry to hear that this decision caused you so much unhappiness, but as others have pointed out it's truly distinction without difference. If you can have tradeskill alts, why not give an option to consolidate those characters?

Locking this thread as there isn't anything more to say.

Plane Touched

I have all profs maxed on one character. It didn't cost me a dime to do that. Just time I would have spent playing the game anyway. Earning the plat to buy REX to purchase another extension gave me a goal, which was fun for me. Something to do when not raiding or running weekly dungeon charges with the guildies.

I do have alts, but I wanted my crafting on one character to make it more convenient instead of having to switch between toons when crafting. Though having them on multiple toons would have been easier, this again gave me an ingame goal that has paid off nicely.

It's also made me more able to help others. I don't understand why an unneeded optional play style would turn you off from the game unless you where looking for a reason to not like Rift to begin with.

From the way you posted, I'm thinking that's a strong possibility you may want to look at.

Bad. Terrible. Utter Stupidity

I only see this applying to your post. The content you speak of is optonal, doesn't have to cost any $, and only helps those who wish to do it this way.

Rift Master

I understand the OP, but at the same time disagree with his statement. The reason why I personally have all of the tradeskills is that I don't play alts/twinks. I devote 100% of my Rift playing into making my Mage the best it can be. Reaching for highest DPS through armor upgrades, chasing 35K achievement points, max faction, etc. Much easier to chase all of these examples under 1 player then trying to split your time amongst all of your alts.

If I have 11 Alts plus my Main, and I have 1 tradeskill dedicated to each one, I not only have to swap each day 11 times to do the dailies, trading the made items even becomes harder.

Side bonus is whatever marks I make stays on the same character, so I don't have 11+1 characters all with Misc marks collecting dust.

So I don't see how having maxed tradeskill slots cheapens the game, it makes it logically better and easier to do things. Same with max bank slots, and bag slots.

Closed Thread