+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By Dark Mits
  • 1 Post By MoonfireSpam
  • 1 Post By snazzy

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Calling FOUL on NT Cloth

Rift Master

Default Calling FOUL on NT Cloth

Here's my new rant of the week. Thalasite, Sarleaf, and Fabled Hide once refined at the crafting tables is classified as "Rare" and counts towards the achievement "Blue is the new White".

However Diaphanous Cloth is classified "Normal" and doesn't count towards the achievement. So not only do we have to use x2 the cloth to be refined, we don't get the credit for crafting that. Support the outfitters please by making this change.

Champion of Telara

I wonder why aren't all those mats of just white quality to be honest. There is nothing rare or special about them. Really, those green, blue and purple borders are not only overused, they are also entirely wrong.

Its been that way since they introduced lockboxes that dropped crappy orange boxed items that were worse than expert gear.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish~

Telaran

Default SO

Quote Originally Posted by MoonfireSpam View Post
    Its been that way since they introduced lockboxes that dropped crappy orange boxed items that were worse than expert gear.
    So it wasn't my imagination that orange items were pretty crap then.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Mits View Post
    I wonder why aren't all those mats of just white quality to be honest. There is nothing rare or special about them. Really, those green, blue and purple borders are not only overused, they are also entirely wrong.
    I thought the same thing. I was wondering why they were considered "Rare" when there was nothing rare about them.

6.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #6

OP: Expect this to change.

Typically, store bought and raw base materials are considered, 'Common' for all intents and purposes. After that, it becomes more designer preference with regard to the intended rarity or perception we would like to ascribe to an item. Someone previously felt the NT materials warranted a grade higher in rarity, but we feel that's not necessary as it only serves to dilute the rarity (be it actual or perceived). If everything is considered a 'rare' item, then suddenly nothing is 'rare' if you get my meaning.

I've been having some discussion with Archonix and Tacitus regarding rarity and how it pertains to materials, ingredients, reagents and the final outputted crafted item.

This is pretty low priority at the moment (Yes, it messes with the achievements a bit, sorry!) but it's on my growing list of action items.

Soon this stuff will get sorted, given priority and then put into the schedule so I can start getting fixes in.

Hope this helps and thanks for the feedback!

-Mort
    Noah 'Morticus' Holmes
    Senior Game Designer, Defiance
    Trion Worlds, Inc.
    "The more I learn, the more I learn how little I know." -Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by Morticus View Post
    but it's on my growing list of action items.

Soon this stuff will get sorted, given priority and then put into the schedule so I can start getting fixes in.
    -Mort
    that list must be pretty big about now.

Kendorath of Reforged on Wolfsbane.

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Morticus View Post
    (Yes, it messes with the achievements a bit, sorry!)
    This is the only negative I can think of regarding an immediate or not "fix". It would invalidate the meaning of the "craft X items of rare quality" achievements. Which means that the current such achievement should be moved to Legacy, and have a new one start counting from 0 globally for all players.

Possibly going off-topic as well, but regarding the part about "If everything is considered a 'rare' item, then suddenly nothing is 'rare' if you get my meaning". I would go as far to suggest that all base crafted gear and the first upgrade be of Uncommon quality.

Seems logical to me it would be the way it is.

Sarleaf and Thalasite you have to go out of your way to harvest a node. Hide you have to take an extra second to double loot each mob. Cloth you do nothing extra for you quest, kill mobs, run dungeons, etc. takes absolutely 0 extra time to gather cloth, where as everything else takes at least 1 extra second. I don't think they should be green/blue at all tho would be more appropriate if they were white/green.

+ Reply to Thread