Closed Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ferrel

Thread: Fishing: Schools of fish a little too clever

Default Fishing: Schools of fish a little too clever

I am really enjoying fishing in Rift. It is pretty relaxing and gets me on a collector level. The higher levels of fishing slow down and to level you really need to use schools of fish.

I have no issue with this but I am finding some are being placed too far from shore or rather where you mouse over "school of fish" is different from where the fishing pole will spot it. I've got two screen shots of this occurring in Droughtlands.

Any help on this would be great!

http://epicslant.com/images/fish-school-01.jpg

http://epicslant.com/images/fish-school-02.jpg
    The Raider's Companion - A comprehensive guide to raiding based on ten years of experience. Now available! Learn to raid, complement your skills, build your legacy!
    The Guild Leader's Companion 2nd Edition - Leadership Through Serenity, Positivity, and Transparency
    @FerrelES

The spot you need to hit is exactly at the center of the school, as you're looking at an angle, it's "too far" in relation to the area where your tooltip catches onto it.

2 tips: anti-planar augmentation (or guardian equiv.) and mounting,

and the world event food from the fae yule that made you bigger.
    Ambi - Cleric - Apotheosys.

There are 2 issues here.

1. Perception issue of where schools are. They are in 3D, so you will see their animation closer than where the school actually is. Just cast a bit father away from where you "see" them, until your cursor changes from shallow/deep water to "School xyz".

2. Some school/boat spawns are genuinely impossible to reach:

- Some spawns are placed too far away in the sea and are out of reach; there is absolutely no place to stand in order to fish them.

- Others are so deep inside the water that you cannot reach them.
    Last edited by Atavus; 04-24-2012 at 06:08 PM.
    Fatality - lvl 50 Mage
    PVP 5/8, DH 4/4, GP 4/4, GSB 5/5, ROS 4/4, RotP 4/4, HK 11/11

My MAGE GEAR LIST v5.5 ▓

Out of date and retired

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Atavus View Post
    2. Some school/boat spawns are genuinely impossible to reach:

- Some spawns are placed too far away in the sea and are out of reach; there is absolutely no place to stand in order to fish them.

- Others are so deep inside the water that you cannot reach them.[/FONT]
    EI is notoriously bad for this. Schools of fish will spawn with the only close land 50+ meters above. Or so far out to sea. It seems to partially be an issue with the land slope and it looks like the devs in some cases thought you would be "not swimming" when it is in fact impossible not to be swimming and reach them. Also I don't think the devs took into account the vertical axis issues.

Plane Walker

Droughtlands is also really bad for this. Most of the fishing schools I saw in Droughtlands were too far out to sea.

Quote Originally Posted by Golladan View Post
    Droughtlands is also really bad for this. Most of the fishing schools I saw in Droughtlands were too far out to sea.
    The ones in Droughtlands can be fished from by either trying from Shimmersand (this will give you shimmersand fish though, even if you dont have the skill). Or by using the Fury of the Ascended buff to gain size, which allows you to walk into the water further.
    Warrior Tank of:
    <Imperium> - IcewatchEU
    TotDQ [4/4], FT [4/4], EE [5/5]
    Hardmodes [Zaviel / Kain]

www.imperium.co

+1

The solution is obvious- Add craftable boats that we can fish from
    afk tera.

Sword of Telara

There's also a spot in Gloamwood behind the mill on the way to Loggerman's Lift that often has a School of Fish spawning right by the tree with its roots in the water where the elite treant goes past. It's too close to the shore to actually fish from. Doesn't matter where you stand, the game counts that spot as land.
    RIP Icewatch and Argent.
    Not another damn penny.

The only way to be absolutely sure is to watch the tool tip when you have activated your fishing pole and are picking a spot to cast.

It will say "School of Fish" and give you the required skill level underneath that. It is often very different from where your mouseover or your camera view will tell you it is. Just activate your fishing pole and mouse around the general area until the tool tip shows the school. You will hit it every time.

This won't however fix the issue of schools being literally unreachable from any position because they are too far from shore.
    Hastati (50 warrior), Tsar (50 cleric), Tsaritsa (50 Mage)
    Guides: 51 Bladedancer, Bloodstalker, Nightblade
    DPS Rogue <Trinity>
    5/8 ID; HK Conqueror

You just have to move the targeting thing around until it turns green. Blue is shallow, Yellow is deep water and the green means you are in the center of the school.

Closed Thread