Closed Thread

Thread: Runecrafting Mats Gathering Tips

Telaran

Default Runecrafting Mats Gathering Tips

Sorry if this is a NOOOOOB question, but is there other ways to farm mats for runecrafting recipes other than just breaking down weapons? Do I get them from rifts too? Do I get different level mats at different level rifts or is it all random? Do certain enemies drop mats?

Thanks in advance.

Rift Chaser

If your just starting, you need greens (items) and lots of them. When you runebreak them, they turn into the different mats you need to craft your runes. It is also completely random when they break how much, and what you will get. One thing i can advise is, look on the ah and buy up those greens peeps sell while leveling up their craft (some just break it back down). Another thing is those augments. People sell em cheap sometimes, so buy them up and break em. Runecrafting is definitly an investment in $$$ for start up, and i still cant say ive made a pretty penny on runes. In fact, I dont even sell any on the ah anymore, i just make em for peeps that ask. I almost find is better to sell the mats on the AH.

outfitter items are great and cheap to break

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Samson34 View Post
    Sorry if this is a NOOOOOB question, but is there other ways to farm mats for runecrafting recipes other than just breaking down weapons? Do I get them from rifts too? Do I get different level mats at different level rifts or is it all random? Do certain enemies drop mats?

Thanks in advance.
    Runecrafter with Outfitter and Butcher.

Any green item will break, including the ones you make yourself. Leather and cloth boots only take 2 processed resources to make. 2 pieces of leather or 4 pieces of cloth combined into 2 bolts.

Because you will get mountains of cloth from just killing stuff as you level, you'll ahve a pretty constant supply to make and break boots from.

Leather is the EASIEST resource to farm. Every animal you kill gives you at least one leather when you skin it unlike cloth where it's not one per kill and you have to combine 2 to make a bolt. Animals are also easier to kill than humanoid mobs and respawn much faster than metal nodes, flowers and logs.

Just skin everything you can and pick up your cloth. Go and process it all periodicly then make and break shoes and boots.

It's a very convenient combo because Outfitter only takes up 2 of your 3 crafting slots leaving the space for Runecrafter, which only needs Runecrafter, making a nice and rounded 3. Weaponsmith, armorsmith and others all want the Crafting skill and 2 gathering skills filling you up leaving you to mail stuff off to your Runecrafter to break. It's not so much the money you spend on mail but the pain of having to stop at the mailbox sending a limit of 6 at a time.

Keep your skinning and outfitting up to date and you'll get enough mats to get Runecrafter to 300 long before you hit 50.

You'll also get 2 sets of dailies you don't really have to farm for as you level supplying oyu with a fast supply of Artisan MArks to get your Runecrafter recipes with (or outfitter if you want them).
    Last edited by Greyhald; 06-01-2011 at 05:31 AM.
    -All views portrayed in this post are opinions and as such should be taken with a grain of salt.
    -Posts may be blunt to the point of spherical and call a spade a spade when deemed appropriate.
    -Any percieved insults are the sole property of the disgruntled reader.
    -There will be no exchanges, refunds or retractions except when requested by a Smurf. All requests must be lodged at our Head Office in Gargamel's workshop. Please form an orderly queue in the cages provided.

My favorite thing to Runebreak is those crappy green planar essence that aren't worth using or selling. Another great one is the green quality Augments that also aren't worth much other than the mats. An hour or so of Rifting and you'll have buttloads of both.

Telaran

Thanks for all the help guys. It went a long way towards my push towards lvl50

Telaran

If you have friends/guildies who are runecrafter then I would advice you just ask them to runebreak your greens when you are lvl 50.

You get the same mats from high-level gear then low level. You just get more of it.
    You can then use those mats to level up your skill.

As the poster above me suggested Runecrafter goes very well with Outfitting/Butcher.

I do not lie when I say that I have earned appx 2500p on selling runes on the Auction House.
    It gets profitable only as soon as you have access to rare recipes (T2 droppable ones).

When you run into trouble with lack of Blue/Epic shards you can consider starting to buy blues/epics from the AH.

Depending on how much runes cost in your shard its worth to buy any blue for up to 1p and any epic for up to 2p. For me this pays back tenfold. Though Blue runes on my shard go for 10p and epic ones for 20-40p. (Yes, I know. I am on a ****ed up Shard.)

Shadowlander

Break down _everything_ green you can't use. Gear, augments, planar items.

And also have a manufacturing craft on your toon (or a manufacturing alt). As you get extra mats for your manufacturing make lots of stuff to runebreak. Level of the item and ingredients of the items don't seem to matter that much. Quantity of items matter much more than quality. At least at me mid-20s/160 or so Runecrafter/Outfitter. I've gotten plenty of useful mats from the dozens of cotton boots I've made or Iron Sabatons sent over from my Armorsmith alt.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Greyhald View Post
    Runecrafter with Outfitter and Butcher.

Any green item will break, including the ones you make yourself. Leather and cloth boots only take 2 processed resources to make. 2 pieces of leather or 4 pieces of cloth combined into 2 bolts.
    I highly recommend you spend the handful of artisan's marks to buy the belt patterns. They substitute a vendor item (thread or oil) for one piece of leather or one piece of cloth and are typically much cheaper to make than the boots. For example, an exotic leather belt uses one piece of exotic leather and a neatsfoot oil that costs 44 silver from a vendor instead of two pieces of exotic leather, and as far as I can tell yields the same amount of Runecrafting materials when broken. I find the most efficient items to make and runebreak are leather belts (oils are cheaper than thread and the leather is typically less than twice the price of the cloth).

Quote Originally Posted by Mead View Post
    Break down _everything_ green you can't use. Gear, augments, planar items.
    I don't really recommend breaking augments. They're usually worth more (either used on a piece of gear or sold on the auction house) than what you'll get for runebreaking them. The only real exception I have to this is low level vitalium (shard/rough), which is dirt cheap on my server. Definitely break any unused quest reward gear and all those terrible planar essences that you'll find no other use for.

Rift Disciple

Handy hint i got from someone here: look on the AH's for cheap blue essences to break. i often see them going for 30g and they can yield good stuff. Same for epics aswell, check for cheap epics and nab them up.

Closed Thread