+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Mizuki Ayu
  • 1 Post By Samuraiko
  • 1 Post By Kiwi

Thread: Bloom - A short story

Telaran

Default Bloom - A short story

Chloromancers do not create Life. We do not pull from the Plane of Life. We take Life.

A young Kelari had been laid in a simple bed. Bandages wrapped around his arms, his chest. His breath was shallow and his brow dripped with sweat. Beside the bed sat a High Elf, dressed in simple underclothes, beside her, armor laid in a heap. She clutched a white tome to her abdomen with her left hand and a beautiful, etheric sword gripped loosely in her right, resting on her knee. The Elf’s head bobbed slightly, her breathing slowed. KLANG! The sword slipped from her grip and crashed into a part of her armor. She sat up quickly and first checked on the Kelari before finding her sword. Thankfully the noise didn’t wake him.

She stood and placed the weapons on her seat. She was exhausted. She closed her eyes for a moment, and swayed slightly, stumbled a small step and forced herself to stand up straight. Then a knock at the door focused her attention. “I’ve brought you some more food.” A deep voice said through the door. The Elf opened the door and took the plate from the small Dwarf on the other side.

“Thank you.” She replied softly.

The Keeper glanced into the dimly lit room. “How’s the boy?” He glanced up to the mage and spoke again before she could answer, “How are you?” He watched as she placed the plate on the table beside the bed.

“I’m...I’ve only got to last-” She paused and glanced out the window, “-a few more hours; then the clerics will be here.” The High Elf returned to the food but did not sit down. “This will go a long way.”

The Dwarf remained in the doorway as the mage finished her meal then watched as she retrieved her spellblade. She used the sword to cut away the soiled bandages, exposing deep, jagged wounds. Without putting down her sword, she grabbed a bowl of poultice and attempted to balance it in the crook her arm. The Dwarf stepped forward as the Elf fumbled with the medicine.

Her face turned a bit red, “I’m sorry, I’m not used to using medicine anymore.” She said lowly as the Keeper took the bowl and began applying it.

He scoffed. “No. You’re at wit’s end, doing this.” He gestured to both the patient and her. “You said it’s only a few more hours right? Let me do it this time.”

“No. I can’t.”

He reached over to grab her hand, but stopped, seeing how it trembled. He looked up at her. “You can not do this alone. Don't be a fool.”

She pulled her hand back and held it against her chest. “I’ll kill you.” She stepped back from the bed, allowing the Dwarf to continue applying the poultice.

“You’ll kill yourself!” He hissed in a raised whisper, not wanting to wake the patient.”I have vowed my life to this island and it’s inhabitants. But, you will not kill me. You will not.” He stepped forward. “Please. Let me do this.”

The Elf bowed her head and whispered to herself, “Tavril, give me guidence.” Then slowly looked up. “My magic takes. I feel it strain on myself and that helps me control it. Any other time…” She paused and stared at her blade. “Every other time, I take with the intent to kill.”

The Keeper held out his hand and gave a soft smile. “I trust you completely.”

The mage closed her eyes and held up her tome. As she began speaking old and powerful words that the Dwarf didn't understand, the book began to glow and rose from her hand and magics began to swirl from her blade to the tome; the pages fluttered noisily. Her eyes opened and she focused on the Keeper’s open palm. Translucent tendrils of energy, passed from sword to tome to the Dwarf, began engulfing his hand; then his forearm, then his torso. The room was filled with the ethereal glow.

The old Keeper was struck with an immense force as the tendrils seeped into his core. His breathing suddenly became restricted and he gasped for air as a green aura burst from his chest. He saw the Elf grimace, but she didn't stop.

The magic entangling his arm faded as she reached forward with her spellblade and encircled the green aura in front of the Keeper. The oppressive force that held his soul began to fade as his energy formed into a pure white flower bud at the mage's command. He stumbled backwards a step and watched in awe as the Elf guided the flower above the Kelari.

Then the bud burst into bloom, sparking with Life, before the petals shed and the whole flower poured over the injured man. As they touched his skin, the petals left green and gold imprints of magic. Then faded.

The dim returned.

The Kelari no longer wheezed or winced in his sleep. The Dwarf took grateful breaths of air for a few moments before patting the Elf on the back. “He sounds better already. I think-” He took a deep breath, “-we all should get some rest.”

The mage placed her hand on his shoulder. “I think you are correct…Thank you.”

Awesome work, and some great turns of phrase.

TALES OF THE RIFTWALKER is on YouTube!!
    Part IV - Marked by Fate is now live!

Subscribe to my YouTube channel and stay tuned for chances to win stuff via the Trion Worlds Creators Program!
    ** The Forum Drinking Game (to be played during server downtimes) **

Telaran

Thank you!

Great read, want more! Love it

Telaran

Thank you! I am working on another story unrelated to this one that should be longer.

+ Reply to Thread