+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Clowd

Thread: RIFT Writing Prompts needed for 30-day writing challenge!

Post RIFT Writing Prompts needed for 30-day writing challenge!

Heya, all - hoping for some help here.

I routinely do writing challenges where I write a vignette/short story every day for 30 days, based on a prompt. Thanks to a Twitter discussion between me, DefiantBug, and our lore dev CaptainCursor, the subject of a 30-day writing sprint for RIFT came up.

While I have a large collection of generic writing prompts, I'm hoping that some folks might come up with ones that are specific to RIFT. Things like "sliver realms," "what happens before/after such-and-such event", the backstory of an NPC or artifact, that kind of thing. My stories are not meant to be the last word in canon, by any stretch, though I do try to stay within the canon boundaries.

I'm just looking for suggestions on vignette ideas.

Some of the ones that came up during the Twitter conversation include (thanks, Bug!):
    • vignettes about stillmoor being reclaimed and people bringing up kids and starting normal lives
    • silverwood: helpful elves giving guided tours of overwatch keep to kids & painting hylas aelfwar as an intimidating historic figure
    • freemarch: defiants turning their magitech to agriculture, which loops back on what orphiel originally intended (i..think? uhhh tbd)
    • DUSKEN. OHHHH MY GOD dusken do i even need to say anything here.... will that place start to recover...i hope so... like. caretakers having to re-learn how to forage for/grow plants that arent deathtouched cause its slowly receding. grass shoots. the works
    • brevane is still a horrendous jungle but its getting tamed a bit more, in places. the giant diseased monsters are sorta dying out? idk
    • cyril gets to ffuxckfhgn sit DOWN for like 20 minutes at a time!!! also he showers more. thats my idyllic future. people are cleaner. thanks
    • ok ascended dont really age but no one has ever said a really cool grandma didnt get resurrected at some point
    • addendum to this: sylver is still gross and sweaty and covered in the sourcetech equivalent of motor oil. that never changes. sorry everyone
    • tempest bay uhh... i mean, how can i improve on tempest bay. uhhhh. it gets blown up considerably less? tajlora takes a holiday?? dksfjsf???
    • deepstrike mine is sealed off except for one day a year where a bunch of guardians go in and sage smudge it or something
    • but like, what if one day telara is saved and the ascended arent needed any more. will the gods just zap away the immortality and be like "welp, good job. watch out for fall damage. maybe dont stab each other for funsies from now on either"
    • if youre brought back to life in your prime to fight for your world the formula for ascension might do well to include an anti-aging clause else regulos would just be like "ah i see where this is going" and disappear for a few hundred years til theyre all dead of old age

TALES OF THE RIFTWALKER is on YouTube!!
    Part IV - Marked by Fate is now live!

Subscribe to my YouTube channel and stay tuned for chances to win stuff via the Trion Worlds Creators Program!
    ** The Forum Drinking Game (to be played during server downtimes) **

Azdah and Aia sit down for a cup of tea to discuss their annoyance with the ascended. They've killed Azdah's children, and ruined Aia's prophecies. This could be a mutual bonding experience.

In a bizzare sliver, Asha and Usukhel are to be wed in Shal Korva... except that an undead Zareph and a rather drunk Teth object. Atrophinious shows up late with mead.

After a run in with Lord Arak, all the Ascended dreams of is a TurDuckEn, though the origin of the meal turns out to be far more sinister.

How many Akvan could an Akvan Akvan, if an Akvan could Akvan Akvan?
    Rift Datamining, dev chatter, news, and occasionally guides at The Ghar Station
    Chat with us at The Ghar Station Discord or visit us on twitter @TheGharStation
    Clowd@Greybriar / Anadriel@Greybriar / Neganta@Greybriar

An interesting one I found while trawling through the various voice files for RIFT:

"What would have happened if Orphiel and Cyril were switched at birth?"

(Seriously, that's a sound file in the game.)
    Last edited by Samuraiko; 05-10-2017 at 12:46 PM.

TALES OF THE RIFTWALKER is on YouTube!!
    Part IV - Marked by Fate is now live!

Subscribe to my YouTube channel and stay tuned for chances to win stuff via the Trion Worlds Creators Program!
    ** The Forum Drinking Game (to be played during server downtimes) **

+ Reply to Thread