+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: RawRR (Raiding along with RoughRaptors) - New Video Guide Series

RIFT Guide Writer RoughRaptorsOld's Avatar

Default RawRR (Raiding along with RoughRaptors) - New Video Guide Series

So for those of you who missed out on my announcement last week, I was "inspired" to start a video series of video guides on T2 bosses. The introduction that I made to it is linked here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CKLFhzHYac

and the first episode has been completed and can be seen here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3sV...ature=youtu.be

I wasn't quite sure where to post this, I guess Dungeons and Raids might be a better spot but more people will probably see it here so.../shrug, move it if you want mods :-P.

What I wanted to do was try to improve upon the series / guides as I pretty much don't have a clue what I'm doing (hoping I'll get better) and was offering a "contest" of sorts, similar to what I did during my time at Hard Mode Podcast.

Basically I just want these to get better, I want to know what YOU want to see in the videos and what needs to be improved upon. So with that said, please leave your feedback here and I will give the person who gave me the best feedback (or people if I believe it's a tie) a Toxic Hellbug mount and pet code which is account-wide. If you do not wish to post publicly, feel free to email me at RoughRaptors@Gmail.com with your feedback on how to improve. Feedback will also include that on Reddit and Youtube. I will stop taking feedback in 7 days time, so I'll give out the code(s) on Monday the 14th.

Also, anyone who can make me an awesome intro that I like will get bonus points and I'll give you a Hellbug mount/pet as well, along with something else maybe...possibly some IRL loot :-) so let me know if you think you can and want to help.

Thanks for watching, hope it's not too terrible as I know some people were looking forward to this so let me know what I can do to improve :-)

Edit: Second episode here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJmM...WQvIG2RQ63xPgg - Brothers Grimm

Edit: Third episode here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unrw5XDrXj4 - Proteus

Edit: Fourth episode here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNGK658ebzQ - Breaker-X1

Edit: Fifth episode here- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb1v...WQvIG2RQ63xPgg - Volan

Edit: Sixth episode here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQjZxr-vqoM - Inyr'kta

Edit: Seventh episode here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRVcXLLTSlU - Abominus

Edit: Eighth episode here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KqB...GwziQj0B-5VDTQ - BoB: Lord Greenscale
    Last edited by RoughRaptorsOld; 10-06-2014 at 12:17 PM.

Plane Touched

Your signature always makes me giggle.

I have nothing else to add.

Default my feedback

* I know you don't know much about the lore, but giving snippets during the fight as to *why* we're fighting I really think would engage people and it would be fascinating. Just a little background as to who these bosses are and where they come from and why. Just a couple of sentences.

* I'd like to see common mistakes talked about - and demonstrated! A mechanic that might seem intuitive with a build sometimes is... very much not. I bring this up because I was laughing on your one vid when you fell right the hell off the ledge before the pull, and you fell through his face. People aren't really into dry vids when they watch games- they do want it to be entertaining as well so humor us. ;)

*Talk more about the builds you do, and why you choose them. Not just warr, but other viable builds. Some of us are very very new to tanking. ;) You can also talk in beginner terms about viable raid comps; what works, what doesn't, when and why.

*Being you are *the* tank, it's about time you had a proper intro to make it look pro! I can't do animation but frankly, a giant raptor animation yelling RAWRR! in a speech bubble for about 6 seconds and then text "Raiding Along With Rough Raptors". Maybe a little bit dorky, but catchy too.

*Not a whole lot of music, at least not prominently. This is a mistake a lot of streamers make and I end up turning off the volume if the streamer isn't talking a lot (which is boring). I come to watch the stream, not to hear the great taste in music they think they have. This is different than having something soft but not distracting in the background, mind you.

*Give us a little bit of your bio here and there- why should people care you are RR? Doesn't have to be bragging or anything like that, just a little background to help make people feel more connected to you, the streamer; and also implies trust that you know what the hell you're talking about. I mean, most of us take that for granted but that's because we're on the forums constantly and know who each other are.

That's about all I can think of for now. I think adding a "human" element would really go a long way.

Sorry if any of these were dorky or carebear-ish.
    Faeblight
    ilexx: lvl 60 High Elf Necromancer/Chloro
    RIFT 3.0 incoming soon... get ready for some surprises!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thitizen View Post
    Helicopters? Tesla Coils? Skrillex?

I enjoyed it a lot more than the typical video of the kill with some music in the background. The detail is what makes it work for me. Most of the raid fights have little nuances and quirks to them that you learn by wiping a lot. Having some of that pointed out is really nice. I think a don't do this section would be informative too LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by ilex011 View Post
    * I'd like to see common mistakes talked about - and demonstrated! A mechanic that might seem intuitive with a build sometimes is... very much not. I bring this up because I was laughing on your one vid when you fell right the hell off the ledge before the pull, and you fell through his face. People aren't really into dry vids when they watch games- they do want it to be entertaining as well so humor us. ;)
    Can do, attempting to make these slightly humorous.

*Talk more about the builds you do, and why you choose them. Not just warr, but other viable builds. Some of us are very very new to tanking. ;) You can also talk in beginner terms about viable raid comps; what works, what doesn't, when and why.
    The builds aren't really the focus, the builds can all be found online with a few rift or google searches, while there aren't any raid video guides, so that's why I focused on this. Also, I pretty much know nothing outside of warrior tbh and just wouldn't want to give bad information.

*Not a whole lot of music, at least not prominently. This is a mistake a lot of streamers make and I end up turning off the volume if the streamer isn't talking a lot (which is boring). I come to watch the stream, not to hear the great taste in music they think they have. This is different than having something soft but not distracting in the background, mind you.
    Are you asking for non-distracting background music in the raid video? Or are you referring to my stream. Because honestly I don't talk that much in my stream unless people are talking back...and lately there's been very few viewers so I just don't talk.

*Give us a little bit of your bio here and there- why should people care you are RR? Doesn't have to be bragging or anything like that, just a little background to help make people feel more connected to you, the streamer; and also implies trust that you know what the hell you're talking about. I mean, most of us take that for granted but that's because we're on the forums constantly and know who each other are.
    I mean I guess I'm called RR because people shortened my name, they've been doing it for over 10 years :-P.

IMO music for those types of videos is unneeded. If I want to listen to music I do have my own. Everyone has different tastes. Someone's gonna hate it. Why deal with the copyright crap. People wanting to watch it are really looking for how to do the fight not sampling new music.

Whenever a mechanic is seen for the first time, you should pause the video and explain with a Madden-esque diagram before demonstrating in real time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dasmani View Post
    Whenever a mechanic is seen for the first time, you should pause the video and explain with a Madden-esque diagram before demonstrating in real time.
    That's one thing I considered, was to play the video portion of the mechanic in a loop until I finish explaining it for every mechanic and then play the final video, but I tried to look at how exactly I would do it and then talk over the entire fight once the mechanics were explained and tbh I just wasn't sure how and didn't think it would work out or be as high quality so I stuck with this format.
    Last edited by RoughRaptorsOld; 04-07-2014 at 01:01 PM.

o.O

How old is that vid?!
    So long, and thanks for all the fish~

Quote Originally Posted by MoonfireSpam View Post
    o.O

How old is that vid?!
    Very old, world first Thrax ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by RoughRaptors View Post
    Can do, attempting to make these slightly humorous.

The builds aren't really the focus, the builds can all be found online with a few rift or google searches, while there aren't any raid video guides, so that's why I focused on this. Also, I pretty much know nothing outside of warrior tbh and just wouldn't want to give bad information.

Are you asking for non-distracting background music in the raid video? Or are you referring to my stream. Because honestly I don't talk that much in my stream unless people are talking back...and lately there's been very few viewers so I just don't talk.

I mean I guess I'm called RR because people shortened my name, they've been doing it for over 10 years :-P.
    *A touch of humor would be good!

*Understood re: warr info vs others. But I feel a short, very short build guide would actually prelude a raid video and make new viewers understand a bit more. Sure they can google and there are guides, but that is a completely different animal than actually *showing* and engaging a viewer.

*Yes, non-distracting (preferably non-vocal) soft music in the background just to keep pace when things must go silent in a raid, as they often do.
    Last edited by ilex011; 04-07-2014 at 01:38 PM.
    Faeblight
    ilexx: lvl 60 High Elf Necromancer/Chloro
    RIFT 3.0 incoming soon... get ready for some surprises!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thitizen View Post
    Helicopters? Tesla Coils? Skrillex?

Its been a while since we have had someone making comprehensive raid encounter video guides, I really like the idea and think you should continue making them.

I do have one suggestion that takes some video editing skills but I feel if you change the formatting of the guide it will be much more digestible for guilds and players progressing on this content. The thought I had was you should start the videos simply going over the each major mechanics of the fight. The explanation of the mechanics should be accompanied with video clips of the mechanics to highlight what they look like. Then once that is done you play the entire kill of the boss explaining how these mechanics tie into one another. Overall though it is a great first video, keep it up.

IonCannon@Deepwood
    2 sugoi 4 u

Quote Originally Posted by IonCannon View Post
    I do have one suggestion that takes some video editing skills but I feel if you change the formatting of the guide it will be much more digestible for guilds and players progressing on this content. The thought I had was you should start the videos simply going over the each major mechanics of the fight. The explanation of the mechanics should be accompanied with video clips of the mechanics to highlight what they look like. Then once that is done you play the entire kill of the boss explaining how these mechanics tie into one another. Overall though it is a great first video, keep it up.
    Yeah that's what I was talking about earlier. The video editing isn't a problem, it's mostly just the length of the video and I'm not quite sure what I would say during the actual video, after the mechanics have been explained. We'll see...maybe I'll give it a try on the next one.
    Last edited by RoughRaptorsOld; 04-07-2014 at 02:06 PM.

Yeah that's what I was talking about earlier. The video editing isn't a problem, it's mostly just the length of the video and I'm not quite sure what I would say during the actual video, after the mechanics have been explained. We'll see...maybe I'll give it a try on the next one.
    Put on some snazzy music and just do basic commentary over the kill video at the end, basically explaining briefly what you explained earlier.

Awkward silence is the best time filler. Maybe give the technical specs on the mechanics (how they work and what they do) then in the kill video explain how to handle them in the raid encounter. Then again I have no experience making these...

IonCannon@Deepwood
    2 sugoi 4 u

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast