+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Void Knight

Default Void Knight

* Empower: Removed.

Class as a whole fixed?

I dont think they needed the massive nerfs to everything else with just this change
    It's not a damage meters fault you can't hit a certain dps and others similar to you can, it's the fault of your bad gear, bad spec, or bad rotation. So stop getting mad at the meters and invest some time into not being bad.

DPS Mathcraft - How damage works
    DPS Mathcraft - STR vs DEX
    DPS Mathcraft - Armor
    Warrior DPS Calculator *UPDATED* v0.2
    Paragon Rebalancing Suggestion

...Agreed...

Plane Touched

un-nerf pact conversion and i can deal with the rest

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Norberum View Post
    un-nerf pact conversion and i can deal with the rest

from 2-6 to 1-3 is bs imo. im still playing VK just cos i love VK/6RB/9pala so much but still.

hope they undo pact conversion

Default I agree.

If they would have left the pact conversion alone it would be manageable. What a shame... That's a fun soul to play.

If you have started your VK already, would you mind posting some comments on how it plays now? I am skipping that soul for my leveling build, but would like to add it later on.

Shadowlander

It plays ****! Cause i can't see the duration of my Pacts anymore!
    I can live with everything else(Conversion nerve was over the top, i agree)

But not seeing the duration of the Pacts is just stupid!
    Either they do it right and show me the duration, or make pacts like AttackPoints last forever.

The Way its now, you are more concerned not loosing your pacts than fighting.

Soulwalker

Yeah the pact conversion nerf and cooldown on discharge makes basically makes it worthless.

Plane Touched

i'm not too high of a level but i've noticed its really hard to get/keep pacts up unless you are fighting only caster mobs. it just takes too long when fighting regular mobs to get the number of pacts up so they are worth using/being helpful. there is also the problem of not knowing the remaining time left that the pacts are up, which trion needs to fix.

Rift Disciple

I am only lvl 10 but I agree with the previous posters. My question is with the difficulty I am having gaining pacts now, especially when relying solely on conversion for non-caster mobs, is it even worth speccing into ravenous str/D still?

They reduced the pacts converted, did they reduce the energy it uses?
    Shout out to all our warfighters: veteran, active duty, reserve, and retired!

Quote Originally Posted by ascathon View Post
    It plays ****! Cause i can't see the duration of my Pacts anymore!
    I can live with everything else(Conversion nerve was over the top, i agree)

But not seeing the duration of the Pacts is just stupid!
    Either they do it right and show me the duration, or make pacts like AttackPoints last forever.

The Way its now, you are more concerned not loosing your pacts than fighting.
    30 seconds is long enough, and I'm sure this will be fixed soon. Dumbest thing to cry about.

More important note, how is QC?
    Kalistrasz
    Level 50 Warrior
    "Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general." - Mark Rippetoe

Adding C/D to Discharge, good balance decision.
    Reducing effectiveness of Pact Conversion, okay balance decision.
    BOTH at the same time ... kills the tps potential of the build.

The damage wasn't increased, I don't believe resource cost was reduced, and we're left with a vastly inferior combo. It is now only viable if being attacked by several casters, or a caster using instant cast attacks.

Oh, and not seeing the timer? wtf is that.

Ascendant

I agree with the sentiments above, I feel the combination of nerfs was simply too much. Nearly every Soul has some way to function as a stand-alone class, but trying to level up a Void Knight... AS a Void Knight... is pretty pointless. Until about level 16, when you can max Blood From a Stone, there's really no reason to make a Void Knight.

Discharge is too weak now to ever be worth using, in my opinion. Even if I unload 10 pacts on an equal-level mob I only do about 1/5 of its health in damage - in what situation could that possible be more useful than saving the Pacts and using them for the strike-damage boost? Which is the only advantage of having Pacts for the first 15 levels of being a VK. While the strike damage boost is nice, it currently takes so long to build them up (and a waste of 8 Attack Points which are alternatively not bringing any Finisher damage in) that it's nearly pointless. Combined with the frustration of trying to keep them maxed while you can't tell when the Pacts will expire... is no good.

I think Conversion should be set so that 3 attack points gives you 5 Pacts, so two full uses of Conversion should get your Pacts up to 10. I understand Void Knight is an anti-caster class, but clearly the devs plan for there to be some (limited) functionality against non-casters. There needs to be a way to generate pacts when lower in the tree. The VK's damage and anti-mana abilities confirm the fact it is anti-caster, but I think Rift would be a richer game if the VK could manage pacts to increase tanking ability and survivability in any situation. To me, and I suspect most players, what makes the VK exciting is managing your pacts along with your attack points, adding a second layer of complexity to the game and forcing you to make decisions between cashing in the Pacts or saving them. But with Discharge nerfed and Fusion of Flesh high up in the tree, that's not really even a consideration anymore.

Here's how I think the VK class should function: Defense and tanking abilities should be comparable to Reaver/Warlord. High damage against mana casters, less damage against non-casters. But why not bring the defense and tanking abilities (Fusion of Flesh?) much lower in the tree, so that VK's can build their pacts as a resource to assist in tanking before level 26. I think a pretty perfect solution to the VK would be to put Discharge higher in the tree, and bring Fusion of Flesh down to level 6. That would make the VK a more defensive force but not turn them into a PVP nightmare.

I don't mind less offense if it means more defense and utility. Presently, I feel Void Knight is pretty under-represented. I do think they should only do stellar damage against mana users, but a VK is also a defensive tank and it would be exciting if this class could stand alone as a tank. Presently, they can do this but only way higher up in the Soul Tree. All other classes get their primary abilities lower in the soul trees.

PS: PLEASE add a duration counter back to the pacts! I like the new doodad but without being able to see duration, it's very frustrating.
    Last edited by nocks; 02-25-2011 at 10:03 AM.

My issue playing to level 15 so far is mainly with the short duration on the Ravenous abilities, and the weakened pact conversion. The cool down on discharge is fine as a balance measure. But with the pact conversion nerf, it is EXTREMELY hard to keep the Ravenous buffs up while doing enough DPS to hold aggro.

You basically have to pact convert every time you get 2 attack points, if you want to keep the ravenous buffs up. Which means you practically never use your finishing moves. And you can't rely on Blood from a Stone to keep your Ravenous buffs up, so even with that passive you have to convert every 2 attacks.

It might be ok to leave pact conversion as-is, but something needs to be done to improve the ravenous buffs.

Tanked IT about 4 times now as a VK. Had little to no issues keeping the buffs up. Threat was also not a problem. What I would like to see is the Ravenous buff duration increased slightly or pact conversion fixed.
    Kalistrasz
    Level 50 Warrior
    "Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general." - Mark Rippetoe

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast