+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2h tank possible

Champion

Default 2h tank possible

i dont mean run up and start slapping greenscale and expect to live BUT

for pve, rift tanking, 5 man instances maybe even 10 man rift raids (not that anyones done them yet) is 2h tanking viable?

there seems to be a few more damage reduction abilites on the way, one in warlord and one in reaver that just might but im looking for some feedback.

something along the lines of http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0c...Vfk.V0z.Ex000z
    focusing on damage reduction and aoe.

reason is to be honest, i hate the shield graphics in this game. i mean my first character on beta was a pali/WL named shiledy and i hated it, and i love tanking. if i cant make a warrior that can tank w/o a shield then ill just make a riftstalker, i played one and had no trouble with its mechanics.

id imagine youd start a rotation of the 3 reaver dots, infestation, call to entrench | empowering strike, cleave x 2, master of abbyss/cyclonse strike depending on if you need heals or dps | then your dots will need refreshing so repeat.
    Last edited by Shieldy; 02-22-2011 at 10:51 PM.

hmm 2 hand eh?

heres a 5 minute build i just thru together for a dual wield semi-tank titled... uh.. PARRYGON , similar to what you want to achieve from a 2 hander tank. (block reduces inc dmg but cant block, however parry negates it, dodge avoids it as far as i know) on a side note you may be lacking threat generation minus 2 or 3 skills in comparison to a true tank build , unless this pumps out some serious dps but even then its risky.

PS: sorry not trying to hijack ur thread but just figure i'd throw this in there.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0c...hs0dRM.xe0cuVz
    Last edited by A-t-h-e-n-a; 02-22-2011 at 11:28 PM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBEt0uz-V3k
    Many a Guardian were slain and harmed in the making of this video

Shadowlander

grab Ethereal Bond in reaver or else you will never have any power at all. I noticed once you go almost full reaver your power generation is **** compared to your power usage, besides that i could see a 2 handed spec working.... but i doubt anything more than non herioc 5 mans

Champion

theres clearly no 2h tanking soul, i mean thats obvious, there would be heaps of shields or DR just like the riftstalker. you can piece together as much avoidance and DR out of many souls as you can but that doesnt mean its viable, it might gimp power like ichew said or threat who knows, i dunno i never tried it. figured id ask though.

Justicars are made for 2H tanking, but thats a cleric soul.

Soulwalker

Justicars are made for 2H tanking, but thats a cleric soul.
    I'm not at all sure about that. They have a few talents related directly to block percentage.

That aside if you really don't want a shield, the warrior pvp soul (vindicator) seems to have a talent that allows you to block without it.

The Art of Defense: You can block without having a shield equipped.

Now granted you'd need to put 15 points into a pvp soul and at least five of those are useless in pve situations but if it works you could try something like this.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1c...EzqthukVfk.V0M

I don't mind the shield so much myself but I may give it a try for my own Reaver just for fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Shieldy View Post
    is 2h tanking viable?
    Don't get me wrong, but if I would be a healer, and see a tank charging in without a shield (50% less armor or something, thus way more damage taken), I would simply refuse to heal.
    Stoneblock - Warrior - The Fires of Heaven - EU Zaviel

You will definitely not gonna snare/stun/fear/cc raid bosses.
    Stoneblock - Warrior - The Fires of Heaven - EU Zaviel

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Mikutzu View Post
    Don't get me wrong, but if I would be a healer, and see a tank charging in without a shield (50% less armor or something, thus way more damage taken), I would simply refuse to heal.
    well i didnt have a problem on the riftstalker and he didnt use a shield, i was just wondering if it was possible with the warrior souls

oh and regarding the justicar, my god, have you played a melee cleric? i almost gave up on clerics all together. i tried every build i could think of in the game and a melee cleric had to be the most boring, least imaginitive snore fest. 1,1,1,1,2,1,1,1,1,3,1,1,1,2,1,1,1,1,1,1,,2,1,1,1,1 ,3 for real. im pretty sure could be done using the 1 button macro method.

Plane Touched

Riftstalkers are specially designed by the devs for dw-tanking - they have have all mitigation tools for the price of lower damage. Warriors and justicars were designed for using shields. AFAIK, shields give the biggest share of armour plus blocking off some damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Shieldy View Post
    well i didnt have a problem on the riftstalker and he didnt use a shield, i was just wondering if it was possible with the warrior souls

oh and regarding the justicar, my god, have you played a melee cleric? i almost gave up on clerics all together. i tried every build i could think of in the game and a melee cleric had to be the most boring, least imaginitive snore fest. 1,1,1,1,2,1,1,1,1,3,1,1,1,2,1,1,1,1,1,1,,2,1,1,1,1 ,3 for real. im pretty sure could be done using the 1 button macro method.
    I couldn't agree more about the melee clerics being boring, I tried it after hearing that they were pretty good.... Couldn't do it.

Telaran

ofc you can stack mit dmg reduction skills and try to tank... but the point is that it is kinda subpar as, even in most build posted here, a shield will be way better than a 2h due to the added armor (2k armor at 50?) and chance to block to lower incoming dmg.

DW maybe can be viable, but thers not any reason to go 2h as with every build shield+1h will be way better than 2h for tanking purpose

General of Telara

Sorry but every tank in this game except riftstalker is intended to use a shield. If you arent using one you are gimping yourself horribly.

Do yourself a favor, don't waste other peoples time. Put on the damn shield.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lmaoboat View Post
    I drew a nice picture of some mountains today. It, too, looks good on paper.

When weapon and shield will become a viable dps setup, then I will accept 2handed weapons as a viable tanking style.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast