+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Skiye
  • 1 Post By Skiye
  • 1 Post By Shas
  • 1 Post By Shas
  • 1 Post By Karsplat

Thread: Are Void Knight tank builds viable now that Tempest has gotten a threat increase?

Default Are Void Knight tank builds viable now that Tempest has gotten a threat increase?

Are Void Knight tank builds viable now that Tempest has gotten a threat increase?
    I'm wondering if anyone has played with it yet, and if so what they think about it.
    Also, if they think it's viable do they have a build/guide that they could share?
    There are 3 types of people in this world...
    1. People with buttons
    2. People who like to push buttons

They were viable before and quite effective on Isiel.
    Sepelio@wolfsbane | Stabbytha@wolfsbane | Gunsho@wolfsbane | Stelatrix@wolfsbane | Sidereus@wolfsbane | Vespa@Wolfsbane

I'm an old fart. Get off my lawn! <Old Farts>@Wolfsbane

I'm currently gearing a baby warrior alt(finishing up eternals in IROTP) and looking for a good tank build. I like all my toons to at least have 1 effective build of each role so i can fill in a pinch. I just haven't really looked into Warrior tanking yet, and it's time to get her a build. Someone mentioned something to me awhile back in a passing conversation that Void Knights weren't viable because they couldn't hold aggro. Since my warrior was still too low, I didn't really look into anything or experiment. Now I'm ready to start giving some things a try.

Do you have any recommendations on a solid warrior build?
    I would prefer if it didn't require Warchanter, because that is the only soul pack i dont have yet.(when i quit 5 years ago it didn't exist and i have been hesitant about dropping any money on the game since it's current future is still not concrete.)
    1. People with buttons

Quote Originally Posted by Elitizt View Post
    I'm currently gearing a baby warrior alt(finishing up eternals in IROTP) and looking for a good tank build. I like all my toons to at least have 1 effective build of each role so i can fill in a pinch. I just haven't really looked into Warrior tanking yet, and it's time to get her a build. Someone mentioned something to me awhile back in a passing conversation that Void Knights weren't viable because they couldn't hold aggro. Since my warrior was still too low, I didn't really look into anything or experiment. Now I'm ready to start giving some things a try.

Do you have any recommendations on a solid warrior build?
    I would prefer if it didn't require Warchanter, because that is the only soul pack i dont have yet.(when i quit 5 years ago it didn't exist and i have been hesitant about dropping any money on the game since it's current future is still not concrete.)
    There aren't any warrior tanking guides out there as far as I can tell, I don't really log in anymore with the perpetual raid content drought. And when Legendary Hits were removed it really opened up the door to a lot of hybridization. Experiment with stuff and find what works for you.

Here's a few things to know about VK though.
    1. It is one of the highest mitigation souls in the game.
    2. It has actual mechanics behind it so it's not a 1 button spam tank.
    3. It's less straight forward than Paladin since it'll require a small bit of pact monitoring.
    4. AoE packs were it's one drawback, but that is likely no longer an issue with the recent change. But the old method was Unstable Reaction. Pact gains give a lot of threat in addition to the damage unstable reaction and other effects do. (This however scales with endurance so you may have a rough time if undergeared)

Here's a simple 61vk build you could play with with no WC.

https://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#...llllkg/9f|PIPM

Be sure to have Jolt at the bottom of your macros for eternal weapon procs.
    Last edited by Skiye; 10-11-2019 at 09:37 AM.
    Sepelio@wolfsbane | Stabbytha@wolfsbane | Gunsho@wolfsbane | Stelatrix@wolfsbane | Sidereus@wolfsbane | Vespa@Wolfsbane

I'm an old fart. Get off my lawn! <Old Farts>@Wolfsbane

Thanks! I'll give that build a shot.

Here is a build i threw together just to get familiar with VK/Warrior tanking. It's most likely crap, but I just wanted to play with it so i could get a better understanding of all the nuances of the soul in general. I will tweak it as I learn and figure out more while playing it.

https://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#.../8g8/38tw|PIPM

Legendaries: Unstable Void, Spark, Reckless Strike in Void Knight

the other 2 points don't seem to be as important in this build, but i went with
    Paragon: Swift Strike
    Warlord: Empowering Strike
    I chose those last 2 legendarys before really playing with the build and only grabbed them for the "Legendary Tactics" perks in them.

Buffs: Accord of the Rift, Unstable Void(these two will autocast the other buffs in VK)
    Recovery Posture, Way of the River, Turn the Blade

I made a spam macro for basic mashing, but being a tank you should really be using separate buttons to manage your pacts/cd's on your own to be the most efficient.
    This macro seems to work, but is by no means ideal and is just a quick mock up that needs to be tweaked.

#show Void Storm
    cast Backhand
    cast Spark
    cast Discharge
    cast Void Storm
    cast Power Shield
    cast Spellbreaker
    cast Spell Sunder
    cast Tempest

You can get away with just mashing the spam macro and filling in with:

For Single target. You should spam Reckless Strikes on separate button and then dump your 3 stacks of Attack Points into Unstable Reaction to bank up pacts.

For AoE: Spam Tempest and then dump 3 stacks of Attack Points into Unstable Reaction to bank up stacks of pacts.

It's not a concrete rotation by any means, it's just a very very basic ( and probably very inefficient, but effective enough so far) concept of kinda what your priority should be. Just use your own discretion for each situation.

The build has MULTIPLE "YANKS", so you should always have an option to grab something if you need to.

There is no self healing beyond "Power Variation" and/or your weapon imbued with "Vampiric Essence", so you have to rely on your healer for that aspect.

It has alot of CD's that you can use at your discretion.
    It's super simple to play, but takes a lot of awareness to play it effectively.
    This has been rushed to fast and I haven't sat down and made a K alert set yet. I will tweak this build some more, streamline it, and make a Kalert set if i can get the build polished enough.
    Last edited by Elitizt; 10-11-2019 at 12:18 PM.
    1. People with buttons

Smile

your Vk version is not crap at all.
    Considering what it is ment for: a free to play starter to do Spe, EoA, tdem and DRR to get some practise..

VK has alot of dodge and Backhand resets on dodges and blocks. Sergeants order acts as a additional taunt when the green or yellow WL buff is active.

Paragons 1sec gcd allows for some faster reactions when sht hits the fan.

You may want to get legendary Void Summon, giving you 8%-40% (!!!) more max hp for 20 seconds.
    Your 26 Skillpoint unlocks 'refreshing Opportunity' which has a chance to reset the cd of summons such as Void Summon every time you gain a pact. The unlock of Quality Care drastically increases your Pact regain as tank. As a result, Void Summon may be able to be kept active at all times. One aoe that acts like a 40% dmg reduction passively, saving you your cd's. (EoA 1st boss and alot of whisps etc)

As soon as you got the Warchanter soul you defenitly want to have at least 2 points Warchanter tho. (See 2 links below)

-> Stand Tall! saves your eternal weapon, increasing the healing done and taken by anyone buffed by your eternal boosted stand tall. Deep breaths instantly increases your Eternal uptime and Seasoned Strike turns into a 1 sec gcd spammer with Deep Breaths.

Your 62 Mastery Steadfast soul completely derails your Stand Tall! further.

As an example. the 61 Mastery Enduring Survival may ticks 2k every 3 seconds. With all the overclocking in effect it may ticks 300k+

Upgrade pack to your version.
    Dungeon tank without shield.

https://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#.../!7u/8gZg|PsXM

-> One sec gcd spam for singletarget
    -> Permanent ranged attacks
    -> Decent st dps
    -> Able to use very strong direct heals on friendlies (I'm with you! - a Riftblade can heal Titanx alone with only 4 into Warchanter)

#Show Backhand
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Seasoned Strike
    cast Backhand
    cast @self Stand tall!

Leggies: Unstable Void | Void Summon | Spark | Seasoned Strike | Empowering Strike
    (when you are fine without leggy Unstable Void, go leggy Reckless Strike, it hits hard)
    Buffs: Deep breaths | Accord of the Rift | Unstable Void | Recovery Posture

VK pros:
    + able to get the highest hp pool with Void Summon (1.2mil hp lol)
    + Fast af boi
    + Proccs alot of 100% dodge getting attacked, negating physical damage completely (Which is great on Vindicator)
    + Lots of potent cd's
    + Access to Warchanter as Warrior

cons:
    - Whacky Threat - ever since (it's not bad thrat, it just has some windup time)
    - Long cooldowns
    - Comparable medicore dmg and hybrid options
    - Proccheavy

The EoA Beast:

https://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#.../!7hk18/Z|Ps_M

It's basically a healer, able to spam attacks and heal+ shield friends and yourself with ogcd finisher.
    - Able to utilise the double eternal, which may results in Liberation Treatment ticking 400k+
    - The 64 Mastery Precision strikes and +6 secs to dots and hots will help you alot on 0p-61p Liberator
    - Literaly irotp last boss solo tank+Chanter light in one.
    - With the selfheal spam, Void Summon is up even more often.

To bring 4 points Warchanter even more into perspective: Stand Tall! + I'm with you spam is more effective than Power Variation.

Let's not bother on how broken Paladin is since you seem to enjoy VK :P
    Last edited by Shas; 06-06-2021 at 11:10 AM.
    And while you browse, read and find help - consider leaving a like.
    It doesn't mean anything but to the author.

Thanks a ton for your input and those Warchanter builds! I really appreciate it. Just looking at those WC builds are making me want to play them right now.
    Your points you made in favor of "Void Summons" really made sense and made me realize there is more value there than I initially saw. I was worried about the downtime and overlooked the possibility of juggling it. Keeping that active is a pretty nice boost. I'm gonna definitely move some points around and grab it.
    1. People with buttons

Telaran

Default HP

I have seen Tanks with 700k HP, but when I try a full Tank spec my HP only goes up to 540k. I was wondering if I was doing something wrong. I even inspected a Warrior Tank standing beside me in VP, despite my gear/essences being better his HP was higher. The only thing I could not see was his Fragments. I have all T2 Gear, Fully Upgraded essence and Fragments, EW Shield, BIS Tank Seal with 2075 End. I even drank the Enduring Vial Potion just in case. Am I missing something here?

Upgraded preserver t2?
    I guess your essences are dps ones and not 780 endurance?
    Fragments want endurance&max health

Was he in combat? Since the berzerker trinket adds +75k

Most VK's run 61VK 15Pala. Though inferior to 18chanter it has more afk hp.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    Upgraded preserver t2?
    I guess your essences are dps ones and not 780 endurance?
    Fragments want endurance&max health

Was he in combat? Since the berzerker trinket adds +75k

Most VK's run 61VK 15Pala. Though inferior to 18chanter it has more afk hp.
    Sorry, but what do you mean by an upgraded preserver?

Essense - You are right, I think this may be the issue, I was using my DPS essence because it has roughly the same Endurance as my Tanking Essense, but it makes sense because the DPS is fully upgraded while the tanking one is not. I am probably missing about 1200 Endurance from the essence.

I can probably get about 2000 Endurance from fully upgrading my gear and Essense but I think that would only give me another 30-40k extra hp. From your experience was should a T2 Tanks HP be? Should I be in the 600-700k Range?

Quote Originally Posted by codeblue001 View Post
    Sorry, but what do you mean by an upgraded preserver?

Essense - You are right, I think this may be the issue, I was using my DPS essence because it has roughly the same Endurance as my Tanking Essense, but it makes sense because the DPS is fully upgraded while the tanking one is not. I am probably missing about 1200 Endurance from the essence.

I can probably get about 2000 Endurance from fully upgrading my gear and Essense but I think that would only give me another 30-40k extra hp. From your experience was should a T2 Tanks HP be? Should I be in the 600-700k Range?
    Upgraded preserver set*
    PoA pve drops 5 different qualities.

Overlord giving the most mainstat, Preserver the most endurance. This also applies for rings&neck.

Upgraded preseev vs ol is ca 600 endurance difference per slot.

"only" 40k? all those neglectable 600 endurance here&there add up.

550k is kind of the minimum. 600-650 is pretty normal for a regular mt at 700+ selfbuffed just makes it easymode.
    For isiel offtank: any gear will do really.

I just wanted to add that fragments alone can make a chunk of difference. I get close to 70k health from fragments alone, even though I haven't min-maxed any of them. I did make sure to have at least End and Max Health on each and every one of them, and that they're the BiS type.

Telaran

Default Knowledge really is power!

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    Upgraded preserver set*
    PoA pve drops 5 different qualities.

Overlord giving the most mainstat, Preserver the most endurance. This also applies for rings&neck.

Upgraded preseev vs ol is ca 600 endurance difference per slot.

"only" 40k? all those neglectable 600 endurance here&there add up.

550k is kind of the minimum. 600-650 is pretty normal for a regular mt at 700+ selfbuffed just makes it easymode.
    For isiel offtank: any gear will do really.
    In my case maybe ignorance is bliss... I never noticed the fine detail in the name, I thought they were all the same, except for EOA which is very obvious. Thanks, it makes sense now.

+ Reply to Thread