+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Are Paladins viable?

Telaran

Default Are Paladins viable?

See alot of warrior doom and gloom was just curious if paladins can viably tank endgame.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Syndari View Post
    See alot of warrior doom and gloom was just curious if paladins can viably tank endgame.
    Warriors were knocked off a severely overpowered high horse with Tempest this expansion. It is not the first time either. They were on top with Reaver in the early expansion, then Tempest came and broke warrior again sending them to top again. Now they have the new spec and complain because they think they can't melee in T2 even though they have one of the most broken combinations that can mostly do it all-Dps, ST and AoE, Heals etc.

The classes that have been performing the worse this expansion is the cleric class and then mage. All the caster type class in this game are underperforming as dps and cleric even have worse HPS throughput than most healers now so you can see warden topping overhealing but a bard/tact in worse gear will absolutely crush them in throughput meaning all their heals actually made a difference while warden now the king of WASTED HEALING.

Heals can still be good though because it is not really important for you to have many of them in this expansion and because of Rogue hybrids- bard/tact and bard/phys. They were left to exist and destroy the healing meta for the other main healing souls like warden and puri in this game. The main things are damage reduction cds and shielding which are still important. You will think well Puri was the king of shielding but not anymore! Physician Rogue healers have one of the best CDs with low cool down called Life Insurance. Nothing Puri have can compare.

Oracle is a joke compared to bard for 2.5 expansions. Many of the clerics were waiting for Keyens to help oracle but in fact the devs went and killed a hybrid with runeshaper and didn't even look to fixing Oracle to be more wanted like what was promised when the devs were working on Primalist Support. Put it this way if you want to play the best support play mage(the only reason to play mage-- they have great versatility and dps with dps chon and healing chon being viable) or play rogue for secondary healer with support and phenomenal dps/cleave.

Honestly, the only thing warrior is missing is a solid archon replacement and nothing really can replace them because they have OP buffs. Besides rogue being the king of cleave and always topping charts because how raids are being developed to support their specs more than other specs.

And then you have to consider Pvp. And you can see rogue is the biggest complaint in PvP atm. Doesn't help Trion added ez mode domination warfront favoritism to stealth rogues and a grossly imbalanced spec BD to the class. Warrior is still powerful in PvP when those guys are not around which unfortunately since Trion doesn't want to balance PvP continues to be drained... until those players are the only ones left that you see when you queue.
    Last edited by Aedynn; 02-14-2018 at 07:58 AM.

Plane Walker

All tank souls for every class are viable. Paladin being one of the better ones.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Skiye View Post
    All tank souls for every class are viable. Paladin being one of the better ones.
    Ok, I wasnt sure. Someone said block was absolutely useless now and paladins are basically blockbots.

Rift Disciple

Ok, I wasnt sure. Someone said block was absolutely useless now and paladins are basically blockbots.
    What they're saying is that you don't really need to go out of your way to acquire more block; you'll get tons of it from the derivative of your str as you get more gear. - I have one planar fragment with the main stat as a block, no essences with block, and yet i sit at 54% block. Self buffed, no skills (aggressive block).

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Xethx View Post
    What they're saying is that you don't really need to go out of your way to acquire more block; you'll get tons of it from the derivative of your str as you get more gear. - I have one planar fragment with the main stat as a block, no essences with block, and yet i sit at 54% block. Self buffed, no skills (aggressive block).
    Alright thanks. The last time i seriously sat down with the game was in 2011 so im trying to understand alot of stuff. Is there anywhere I can go for tank resources, found lots of dps spreadsheets and such but not for what im doing.

Plane Walker

Alright thanks. The last time i seriously sat down with the game was in 2011 so im trying to understand alot of stuff. Is there anywhere I can go for tank resources, found lots of dps spreadsheets and such but not for what im doing.
    Pretty much for every class you try to get to at around 7400 ish guard and stack as much endurance as you can find. A bit more is ok but that's roughly the softcap.

That doesn't mean stats like block and Dodge aren't useful, but as stated above...the raw stats from gear will boost those values quite high on their own.
    Last edited by Skiye; 12-16-2017 at 03:33 PM.

I've been main tanking as a warrior since beta myself. Paladin got a nice revamp just before the expansion hit giving a newer identity as a "protector" type tank with some raid wide reductions that you can pop. We don't get any spammable threat still, but the snap aggro and aoe is a lot better than it used to be and better than void knight which still caps out at 5 targets. Void knight is still better for utility and a couple of extra cds to rotate, but It was the go to spec for so many years that I only play it if I feel I absolutely need to on a specific fight which isn't very often.

As far as blocking goes. Block and dodge are for the most part useless for any tank. Block used to be the god to stat back in vanilla, but most of the fights were centered around physical damage which is what made stacking it so great. That hasn't been the case for a long time and with the introduction of guard in nightmare tide (replaced toughness) it's better to stack endurance, max health and Guard. Guard is a raid wide (if ppl are close enough) damage reduction that's static. Block and dodge are only chances to which are unreliable when stuff is hitting you for 600-700k on average in the current tier. Dodge also got changed to increase your shielding cap, but you have to stack enormous amounts of it for it to give any benefit so again it's not worth much.

The only thing you need to worry about is timing the AoE threat you do have with warrior tanking as you don't get anything that can be spammed in the same way that every other tank can and the ones you do get in VK cap out at 5 targets whereas other tanks have 10.
    Last edited by Holyroller12; 12-17-2017 at 04:43 PM.

(70) Holyroller | (70) Kelten | (70) Irohh | (70) Hoehenheim | (70)Avattar@Deepwood

Quote Originally Posted by Aedynn View Post
    They were knocked off a severely overpowered high horse with Tempest this expansion. It is not the first time either. They were on top with Reaver in the early expansion, then Tempest came and broke warrior again sending them to top again. Now they have the new spec and complain because they think they can't melee in T2 even though they have one of the most broken combinations that can do it all.
    Reaver was certainly overpowered and tempest is decent, but when the gear starts to even out between all of the classes, warriors start to fall behind pretty far in terms of competitiveness. Tempest and some version of overlord and standlord are the only raid viable specs we have and both over/standlord can't be used on a certain bosses because of their wonky hit box interactions which prevent warriors from being able to hit with their main damage abilities. Stand and deliver won't hit malonnon at all and something in warlord/champ though I forget which one specifically which forces us to fall back on tempest.

There are some warchanter healing specs that will pump out quite a bit of DPS due to stand tall, but that only works if you have 2 targets in melee which again isn't always the case.

(70) Holyroller | (70) Kelten | (70) Irohh | (70) Hoehenheim | (70)Avattar@Deepwood

+ Reply to Thread