+ Reply to Thread

Thread: So what do you guys think about the Tempest nerf now that it is live?

Default So what do you guys think about the Tempest nerf now that it is live?

Just curious everyone's opinions. I think the triple nerf was a bit much. And lightening rod hitting 3 random targets (chance not to hit your main) is pretty ******ed.

It also has me wondering if this was another nerf brought on by PVP complaints.

Thoughts?

Shadowlander

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBkw4gnotEA

here's a guide I made. I was in a hurry so numbers aren't too great but it does the job for me.

Ascendant

I don't like the nerf but that being said the only reason to use legendary skyfall in tempest right now is if you want to do "ranged" cleaving up to 3 targets.

For single target you should drop legendary skyfall for legendary lightning torrent and learn a proper rotation that works for you.

The nerf is pretty big, but then again it introduced a more meaningful rotation system back to the soul which is good imo, and even after the nerf, tempest is still the 2nd most powerful ranged spec in game only topped by primalist.

Champion of Telara Holyroller12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kuick View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBkw4gnotEA

here's a guide I made. I was in a hurry so numbers aren't too great but it does the job for me.
    what addon are those health globes from?
    (70) Holyroller | (70) Kelten | (70) Irohh | (70) Hoehenheim | (70)Avattar@Deepwood

I think more complicated rotations ruin the fun of the game. I leveled a primalist and found I pay more attention to the buttons I am pushing then poo on the ground or where I am going. But with that said I disagree with one button rotations as well. In Tempest I use about 8 buttons (mostly macros). Beyond that I am lost.

But exactly what you said at the end. "tempest is still the 2nd most powerful ranged spec in game only topped by primalist.". That is the part that gets me. I've played Rift since BM was our top DPS spec when the game went live. And every time we have a #1 it's taken away and givin to someone else. Main reason I came back to Rift is because I had heard Tempest got a boost. I came back the week TD came out.

But back to the nerf. I think had they just made lightening rod 3 targets (instead of infinite) and left everything else alone our numbers would have dropped and everyone would have been happy. Same reason Reaver was nerfed. Passive cleave boost DPS numbers.
    Last edited by The Raki; 05-14-2017 at 07:29 AM.

Telaran

I'm still trying to figure out why Arc is behaving weird, like here. Over 2 million damage, but no other ability hits that hard or harder... Isn't Arc only supposed to be ~42% of damage done from another ability? Even with SO, that would make 84% of the ability damage done. I've done parse after parse, and there seems to be some magic number around 920k. If you hit under that, arc behaves like normal, if you go over it, then Arc skyrockets upwards.

The parse is from final boss in TD. Support was Bard/Phys; though I have the almost the same numbers solo on Dummy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails So what do you guys think about the Tempest nerf now that it is live?-2017-05-13_191850-arc-crop.jpg  
    Last edited by Xethx; 05-14-2017 at 01:42 PM.

** Sergeant's Order **
    Stuns target for up to 5 seconds. This stun causes the target to take 100% more damage from the Warriors non-Warlord skills.

This means it's a debuff on the target, so how ever much non-Warlord damage arrives at the target, gets multiplied by 100%.

For reference.
    *** Arc ***
    3 Attack points does 30% of the damage of the initial attack.
    For each point spent in Tempest beyond 28 (that would be 29 to 61 or 33 points), the percentage of the initial attack attack point per combo point used is increased by 0.36%.

So with 3 Attack Points * 0.36% * 33 = 35.2836%
    Add that to the initial 30%, and we now have the next 3 subsequent ST attacks generating (30% + 35.2836%) = 65.2836% of the initial ST damage.

If SO is up, then as Arc is an Inbound Attack, it is also affected and gets the 100% debuff. Also, don't forget to add in the 7% debuff from a support class.

The 920K you're referring to isn't some "magic number". It's the calculations from having a 225% buff from Lightning Torrent for CP and DP, and that Sergeant's Order must also be up, which occurs only at the every ~80 seconds mark. CP and DP outside the SO's 5 secs, does less damage than Air Cutter (which gets cast more often than our CP/DP) even when buffed by Lightning Torrent.

Outside of the CD block, the Tempest isn't even good for killing a level 1 rabbit. Yea, yea, just a bit facetious there, but the principal is that the CD block is all the Tempest really has.
    Last edited by Dimples; 05-14-2017 at 03:43 PM.
    Dimples Warrior Tank * If she flashes her dimples at you, it may cause pleasurable blindness.
    Dweia Rogue Tank * Nothing seems to express happiness quite as much as purring.
    Laurie Cleric Tank * Life without Love, is like chocolate cake made without sugar.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. - Unknown

Telaran

0.36*33 = 11.88...

Ah, I see. That's per attack point... I was just doing the 12+30 = 42% bonus and then SO making it 84.

Being 65 x2 makes a hell of a lot more sense as to why I'm seeing it hit so high then.

I wasn't questioning why the pulses were hitting so hard; I knew why for those. It was arc being higher that was confusing me, because of the above. - But the "magic number" has still been my personal experience thus far. Arcs always on the low end missing out on SO under those numbers. Then again, with all the crap for power dump into wavelength... the macro lag can easily be messing that up; and i've honestly not done any parsing without it. I should probably go do that.

Cheers for clearing up a tooltip i shoulda read a bit more closely >.<
    Last edited by Xethx; 05-14-2017 at 05:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xethx View Post
    0.36*33 = 11.88...

Ah, I see. That's per attack point... I was just doing the 12+30 = 42% bonus and then SO making it 84.

Being 65 x2 makes a hell of a lot more sense as to why I'm seeing it hit so high then.

I wasn't questioning why the pulses were hitting so hard; I knew why for those. It was arc being higher that was confusing me, because of the above. - But the "magic number" has still been my personal experience thus far. Arcs always on the low end missing out on SO under those numbers. Then again, with all the crap for power dump into wavelength... the macro lag can easily be messing that up; and i've honestly not done any parsing without it. I should probably go do that.

Cheers for clearing up a tooltip i shoulda read a bit more closely >.<
    I moved the [DumpPwr] abilities into a separate macro.
    #show Eye of the Storm
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Jolt
    cast Focused Fire
    cast Storm Shield
    cast Eye of the Storm
    //cast Evasive Redirection
    Dimples Warrior Tank * If she flashes her dimples at you, it may cause pleasurable blindness.
    Dweia Rogue Tank * Nothing seems to express happiness quite as much as purring.
    Laurie Cleric Tank * Life without Love, is like chocolate cake made without sugar.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. - Unknown

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Holyroller12 View Post
    what addon are those health globes from?
    it's called rift hud. very useful addon

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Dimples View Post
    I moved the [DumpPwr] abilities into a separate macro.
    #show Eye of the Storm
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Jolt
    cast Focused Fire
    cast Storm Shield
    cast Eye of the Storm
    //cast Evasive Redirection
    Why didn't I think of that, silly me.

+ Reply to Thread